Bad first half team

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
If the previous two years have taught me anything, it's that they will be ready to go come conference play.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
They have been saying this for the past 6 games. The only way to beat us is to give us the lead in the first half. The guys won't know what to do.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not all that concerned. A lot of the misses in the first half were solid looks, just off the mark.

Yeah, not just today, they missed a lot of shots these 3 games they normally hit. Fortunately we don't have to play in Hawaii's gym again.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I agree, had great shots, just missed them, however, this team can defend and stay close enough to strike when things get going.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I've said it before ... they are so thin up front that they play on pins and needles in the first half to keep out of foul trouble. If they aren't hitting 3's early (and we haven't been), it's hard to get things going.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
A game of runs, we will get beat this year but so what, these games are getting our guys ready for he big tourney. Our guys have IT they close out and make big shots and free throws. We will be a tough out in March!

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We play our best at clutch time, so I can't complain too much. If we continue to play this badly to start against conference foes we are looking at a 11'ish win conference season. However, as pointed out, so far under Fred, we've really upped our game when the B12 rolls around.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If our bad first half play can survive the excellent depth of the Iowa Hawkeyes, it can survive the depth of the Big 12 Conference.

troll-face-meme.png

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I've said it before ... they are so thin up front that they play on pins and needles in the first half to keep out of foul trouble. If they aren't hitting 3's early (and we haven't been), it's hard to get things going.

This might very well have something to do with it. Hoiberg learned last year that when Niang and Ejim were saddled with foul trouble, we were in big trouble.

We may very well be instituting the Rope-A-Dope strategy to some degree.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Not sure really....Kane feels like he plays when he needs to play, and I mean that as a compliment, when it's time to go, he answers the bell. I just never feel like they get panicked at all.

Going to lose some games in B12 play anyway, but yeah...this is a hell of a good team, there are weaknesses though.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
If we can stay out of foul trouble, keep turnovers down, and shoot a good FT% we'll be ok in conference play.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

I think you have a point; we play very tentative in first half, then let it rip after halftime

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Has the pregame routine been brought up during the coaches shows? I would think with this trend that Fred has tried different things with shoot around and scrimmages the morning of the game, but at this point I'm worried about slow starts getting so ingrained that this team won't know how to finish of they get all jacked up from the start.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
The announcers are right, this will bite us in the butt in Big 12 play. How can fix this?

If the previous two years have taught me anything, it's that they will be ready to go come conference play.
I'm conflicted as I agree with both of you... I think. I definitely feel like we're playing with fire with these first half doldrums- something we can't do against OSU, KU, BU, etc. We also know that Fred's teams have been ready to play their best ball once conference rolls around. That said, the latter depends on a team's ceiling, and I'm not sure I have a good feel for where this team's ceiling is. Gun to my head, I think I would say that it's lower than last year's team, but who knows???