"Bad Fans"

CyItIs

Oct 21, 2011
Papillion
I agree posting on twitter is worse. However, I would consider some of the posters on here as "bad fans" also. Why feel the need to bash players or recruits. We know it has impacted recruiting in the past.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I cannot imagine why any "fan" would tweet anything negative to a college athlete of a team they are supposed to support. That is just asinine beyond belief. What does someone think is going to be accomplished? If someone has to be negative towards a player, at the very least let it be one of their coaches or teammates. It's truly incredible how stupid people are sometimes.

This team won 14 games in a row to start the season. NO ONE predicted that. Now, they are in a slump. Still, that is no reason to attack individual players, or even the team. Just really dumb.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If you are asking me....I've never tweeted a player. No I don't think that's an avenue people should go down.

But on a message board.....IMO there's a line...but I don't think giving an honest assessment as a fan is crossing a line. And in no way do I think that makes you a better or worse fan than someone who needs knee pads because their team can do no wrong.

You mean, giving an opinion. Unless you are using facts, they are opinions. And you only see what happens at the games so your opinion is only based on that. Plus we all have confirmation bias so we ignore what goes against our opinions and give more weight to what supports it.

Just keep those things in mind when you give an "honest assessment".

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
One poster suggested not posting anything you wouldn't want your kid to read posted about themselves. My suggestion would be - don't post what you aren't willing to say to someone's face (including that 320 lb lineman...). Anonymity supports cowardice.

Georges tweeted something along these lines the other day. Basically said he can't believe how people become internet bada**es behind a keyboard but would be the first one to walk up and shake your hand if they saw you in person.

Edit:

Georges Niang@GeorgesNiang20 18 hrs It's funny how people bash you behind a computer but if they were to run into you in person theyd be the first to try to shake your hand

Last edited:

CaliforniaCy

Sep 8, 2013
California
Fan boards are for fans to commiserate and comment. Do some posters get a little too personal in their criticism?, sure, but by and large CF posters are respectful and want nothing more than the Clone teams to do well and play up to their potential.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You think this matters? They didn't get the hint when Rhoads publically said it hurts recruiting and even Campos said it partly influenced his decision to switch to us because Missouri fans were going postal.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Fred's comments really weren't directed at any segment of ISU's fans. He even indicated that some of what is posted comes from rival fanbases. He was commenting on how to deal with criticism and playing out of a funk. He said to turn it off and get back to work.

Good advice from CFH.

The OP is making more out of Fred's comments than there really was. I wish I could have been taking notes, cy.tv will have it up for non paid viewers soon, I would imagine.

But we can still continue our rants, can we not?

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Fred's comments really weren't directed at any segment of ISU's fans. He even indicated that some of what is posted comes from rival fanbases. He was commenting on how to deal with criticism and playing out of a funk. He said to turn it off and get back to work.

Good advice from CFH.

The OP is making more out of Fred's comments than there really was. I wish I could have been taking notes, cy.tv will have it up for non paid viewers soon, I would imagine.

I'll guarantee you he was talking about a "segment" of ISU's fans. Also, you might want to go back a couple pages and read #31 and the "backlash from the people you thought cared about you" from someone who should know.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
You think this matters? They didn't get the hint when Rhoads publically said it hurts recruiting and even Campos said it partly influenced his decision to switch to us because Missouri fans were going postal.

No, it isn't going to make a difference. While CF isn't as bad as some, you do see it regarding players and coaches pretty regularly here, with heaps of justification for doing so. But it isn't ISU.

Beats by Dre turned the concept into a whole ad campaign for Pete's sakes.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I think there's a difference between "bad fans" seeking out players to harass them via twitter or whatever and people who come here and are vocally disappointed with team or player performance.

Just do a search for Matt Thomas and see the threads with his name in the title or the game day threads. And a lot of it is not positive.

If I was a player, I would want to see what people are saying about me and my team. I've always maintained there is no difference between Twitter and the message boards, except in the delivery of the message. Both can be ignored, but neither are.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is a fraction of 1% of the fan base that does this ****. I could care less about those idiots and so should our players and coaches. They are idiots, pure and simple.
Our coaches should be telling these guys: "Hey, Hilton is full to the brim every ******* night of the week to see you play. The fan base has your back. There are teams that are constantly in the top 10 that don't get the support you do. Now, go out there and kick the opponent's ***!"

edit: and get the hell off your smart phones at the games and get up and cheer on these guys!

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Exactly, we almost lost Tribune too because of people on here

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think most of it is the disconnect that goes with any anonymity. If they don't sign their real name to it, it seems like anything goes. Forums that require a FB login have a LOT less of this sort of thing. Most newspapers have switched to verified comment sections for this reason alone. People tend to police themselves when their name is right in front of the thought.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
If I were a player I would stay away from message boards, but when people are tweeting at you and bashing you it would be hard to not let it affect you. When you negative tweet it just makes you look like a baby or a bad fan.

I think Matt Thomas is going to be really good when he gets some confidence. Has looked good on defense, and should get time to prove it. If we are going to make a run we are going to need a shooting guard that can knock down tough shots.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I think most of it is the disconnect that goes with any anonymity. If they don't sign their real name to it, it seems like anything goes. Forums that require a FB login have a LOT less of this sort of thing. Most newspapers have switched to verified comment sections for this reason alone. People tend to police themselves when their name is right in front of the thought.

Exactly, and thanks for this. Some people seem to think that in anonymity, they can say whatever they want. And of course thery get away with it. It is a darn shame, because if someone is real, they would only post what they would say to that person directly. We see it on the radio, and on TV; this kind of posting is crap and I am glad Fred called them on it. To think that it is harmless is to reject any responsibility for what is posted, or tweeted, or whatever. One question: would you say to your own son or daughter what you post here or tweet? If not, STFU.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron