Back-up for Woody

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
If Standard bulks up, maybe (big freakin' maybe) he fits the bill.

Other than that, we'd have to recruit someone that's a bruiser.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If Standard bulks up, maybe (big freakin' maybe) he fits the bill.

Other than that, we'd have to recruit someone that's a bruiser.

He does, and Rhoads said he was more of a between the tackles guy. Hopefully a guy like Justin Webster plays offense and can be more of a power guy. If not maybe the plan is to build the offense around speed at running back as much as possible.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Not this fallacy again. Our recruiting is not the NFL draft, never-mind the fact the results suggest our recruits do not fit this scheme. What exactly about our recruiting, which is to sign the best possible athletes and players, is innate to this system? We have WR recruits of all shapes and sizes. We use RBs of all manners, and recruiting a bigger back is one off-season away. All high school Olinemen need development, and any style of offense works with having mobile, physical, and skilled linemen. Our current scheme is not an equalizer in recruiting, if anything it is so flawed that worrying how our recruits fit is pointless.

You're right, our recruiting is not at all the NFL draft, it's way MORE specialized. We are recruiting athletic quarterbacks rather than pocket passers. We are recruiting faster, shorter wide receivers rather than 6'5" giants. We are recruiting faster tight ends who are more like receivers than linemen. And we're recruiting running backs who are much faster and quicker than a Woody-style back

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The lack of utilization with Woody makes me think this coaching staff isnt looking for that type of back. At the very least they've shown they don't really know exactly what to do with him. I think this year was a step back in terms of play calling when Woody was on the field. If we don't intend to tailor the gameplan to a guy like that, then whats the point of recruiting one?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You're right, our recruiting is not at all the NFL draft, it's way MORE specialized. We are recruiting athletic quarterbacks rather than pocket passers. We are recruiting faster, shorter wide receivers rather than 6'5" giants. We are recruiting faster tight ends who are more like receivers than linemen. And we're recruiting running backs who are much faster and quicker than a Woody-style back
More specialized- a way of coping when we do not get what we want, but not accurate. Like virtually all college programs, regardless of system, we are recruiting the best athletes we can get. There is very little "specialized" about our recruiting- certainly nothing that mandates we stick with an offense we apparently cannot successfully recruit for.

-Look at the past three classes of WR. More standard, mediocre speed WRs, rather than short, quick guys. Name a program or offense that predominately recruits 6-5 giants at WR.
-At RB, who does not recruit RBs that are faster and quicker than Woody? Plus, White was recruited by the previous staff. Every program would take a faster, quicker Woody, and all programs recruit smaller backs when they cannot.
-There is nothing about our Olinemen that suggests they only fit our offense. We like them as athletic, big, and physical as possible- which is useful for any system. Never-mind the fact we had better Oline play when we had road-graders for an OL.
-Tell me, what kind of tight end was Ricky Howard? Name a program that exclusively recruits TEs that are more like Olinemen than receivers. Not many.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
More specialized- a way of coping when we do not get what we want, but not accurate. Like virtually all college programs, regardless of system, we are recruiting the best athletes we can get. There is very little "specialized" about our recruiting- certainly nothing that mandates we stick with an offense we apparently cannot successfully recruit for.

-Look at the past three classes of WR. More standard, mediocre speed WRs, rather than short, quick guys. Name a program or offense that predominately recruits 6-5 giants at WR.
-At RB, who does not recruit RBs that are faster and quicker than Woody? Plus, White was recruited by the previous staff. Every program would take a faster, quicker Woody, and all programs recruit smaller backs when they cannot.
-There is nothing about our Olinemen that suggests they only fit our offense. We like them as athletic, big, and physical as possible- which is useful for any system. Never-mind the fact we had better Oline play when we had road-graders for an OL.
-Tell me, what kind of tight end was Ricky Howard? Name a program that exclusively recruits TEs that are more like Olinemen than receivers. Not many.

The kind that hardly played. We don't have another one of him or Hammerschmidt on the team.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

You still haven't told me about your mythical offensive system that you think we should change too.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

First thing, do you really know who Rhoads recruits and why he recruits them. Yes, we try to get the best athletes we can, but we aren't going to recruit a guy who we have to change our offense for. Second, it is clear, in my opinion, that our offense is improving. Even this year with Messingham, and relatively the same offense as last year, we averaged about 3 more points, if I recall that stat correctly. That is with the same quarterbacks getting the majority of snaps, running backs, a line that everyone says is worse than last year's, and losing who was arguably our best receiver.

Next, look at our depth chart. According to the one here on CF, which I notice doesn't have Lenz, but that still doesn't hurt my point. All but 3 receivers are 6 foot or shorter. Of those 3 receivers, one is a converted QB, one isn't on the roster anymore, and one is still a fairly fast and quick receiver.
And one program who recruits primarily tall receivers is Georgia Tech. Of their receivers, only one is under 6 foot, and all but 2 are taller than 6'2".

For running back, yes, every team would rather have a RB like Woody who is faster and quicker than he is. But we don't recruit running backs who are like Woody at all. We want fast, quick running backs, who fit a spread formation, and can line up in different spots. I'll admit that we should line them up in different spots more often, but those are the guys we try to recruit. And I wasn't referring to White at all. I was more referring to Shontrelle, who was a Rhoads recruit. Nealy, a Rhoads recruit. Standard, a Rhoads recruit. And Tyler Brown of this class, another Rhoads recruit.

For offensive linemen, I never disagreed with you, so it should be hard for you to find a way to argue with me there

As for tight ends, Ricky Howard was a much more balanced tight end than most think, but since he never really played, people assume blocking tight end. Hammerschmidt, who really was more of a blocking tight end, was recruited by Chizik. Oklahoma's starting tight end this year, caught 3 passes ALL YEAR, I won't try to say he's more like an offensive lineman now, but you can't possibly try to call him a receiving tight end.
Also, what I mean by tight ends like receivers are guys who can and will regularly set up as receivers, because they are fast enough and athletic enough to play out of those positions.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
First thing, do you really know who Rhoads recruits and why he recruits them. Yes, we try to get the best athletes we can, but we aren't going to recruit a guy who we have to change our offense for. Second, it is clear, in my opinion, that our offense is improving. Even this year with Messingham, and relatively the same offense as last year, we averaged about 3 more points, if I recall that stat correctly. That is with the same quarterbacks getting the majority of snaps, running backs, a line that everyone says is worse than last year's, and losing who was arguably our best receiver.

Next, look at our depth chart. According to the one here on CF, which I notice doesn't have Lenz, but that still doesn't hurt my point. All but 3 receivers are 6 foot or shorter. Of those 3 receivers, one is a converted QB, one isn't on the roster anymore, and one is still a fairly fast and quick receiver.
And one program who recruits primarily tall receivers is Georgia Tech. Of their receivers, only one is under 6 foot, and all but 2 are taller than 6'2".

For running back, yes, every team would rather have a RB like Woody who is faster and quicker than he is. But we don't recruit running backs who are like Woody at all. We want fast, quick running backs, who fit a spread formation, and can line up in different spots. I'll admit that we should line them up in different spots more often, but those are the guys we try to recruit. And I wasn't referring to White at all. I was more referring to Shontrelle, who was a Rhoads recruit. Nealy, a Rhoads recruit. Standard, a Rhoads recruit. And Tyler Brown of this class, another Rhoads recruit.

For offensive linemen, I never disagreed with you, so it should be hard for you to find a way to argue with me there

As for tight ends, Ricky Howard was a much more balanced tight end than most think, but since he never really played, people assume blocking tight end. Hammerschmidt, who really was more of a blocking tight end, was recruited by Chizik. Oklahoma's starting tight end this year, caught 3 passes ALL YEAR, I won't try to say he's more like an offensive lineman now, but you can't possibly try to call him a receiving tight end.
Also, what I mean by tight ends like receivers are guys who can and will regularly set up as receivers, because they are fast enough and athletic enough to play out of those positions.

I hope he addresses it at this year's recruitment day party.