Austin, TX for Clones vs Horns

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Myself and a few friends are going to be making the trek down to Austin this year for the football game when we beat Texas to clinch a rematch with Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game.

My question for those of you who have been to Austin before is this, what should we do on Friday night when we arrive? Anything we definitely need to see, or just a general area that we should hang out around? I have always heard Austin has a great music scene, but we are open to pretty much anything.

Apparently our AirBnB is right next to Franklin's BBQ, so I'd like to try that on Saturday morning before we start drinking adult sodas, but definitely also open to food recommendations.

Also, I'd appreciate your input if you have gone to the ISU tailgate down there. I saw it on DFW Cyclones' website, and it looks enticing.

TheSammo

Nov 23, 2012
I’m also heading down. I got four tickets thru DFW Cyclones. I’ve never been there, and haven’t got lodging yet. Maybe I better hurry? :confused:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
6th Street is a fun bar scene as most people probably no. Lots of roof top bars.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This actually sounds like an awesome idea and a nice topic of conversation with my wife tonight. Big game, fun city, doable drive...

Reactions: srjclone

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I haven't been for a ISU game but I went down for the F1 race a couple years ago. If you want to do Franklins I'd be prepared to get there early. The line was 2 dozen deep at 7:30 on a Saturday morning. I thought about hitting that up but decided I didn't want to spend the day waiting in line. I did try Coopers Mill for BBQ down by the river and it was amazing. Lots of stuff to do down on 6th Street.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Bring your appetite, definitely becoming a foodie town, have not done Franklin’s yet but heard it was over rated for the wait and hype. Cooper’s is off 6th and awesome barbque. 6th is an experience but the locals call it dirty 6th... there is a cool rooftop called the speakeasy, live music on multiple floors. A couple of up and coming local areas, The Domain/Rock Rose is near my HQ office, a lot of fun food and bars, Top Golf. I have heard great thing about Rainy Street too but have not made it yet. I would recommend the Do Stuff app. It is regional and built in Austin, has live music, bar, restaurant, I use it for every work travel visit because there is soo much to do there.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

yez

Feb 17, 2010
Austin, Texas
15 year Austin resident here. Do the Dallas / Austin tailgate near the stadium, it's fun. Unless you're under 30, I'd stay away from 6th street. Warehouse District is better and older crowd. Agreed on Franklins - not worth the long wait. So many other great bbq places here.

Tons of good air bnbs around campus and stadium. I'd look there. Lots of hotels too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@GTO is in the DFW area and is having a HUGE party the night before. Don’t need a hotel his house is big enough, just bring a sleeping bag and a bottle of liquor if you don’t like yagger bombs and Yukon jack shots.

One warning, his parties have been know to play a combo beer/ strip pong. Last time all I had left was underwear and one sock when I decided I was done.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Micklethwait Craft Meats is a good, relatively small, outdoor seating BBQ venue if you want to try a local BBQ joint out. If you show up before they open (11 AM I believe?) you can wait in a relatively short line (30 mins or less) - and drink free local craft beer/hard cider out of a large cooler they have sitting out front. Yes, free booze. At least, they did that the two times I have been there, both on Sunday's for lunch.

The BBQ is amazing, you won't regret it.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
15 year Austin resident here. Do the Dallas / Austin tailgate near the stadium, it's fun. Unless you're under 30, I'd stay away from 6th street. Warehouse District is better and older crowd. Agreed on Franklins - not worth the long wait. So many other great bbq places here.

Tons of good air bnbs around campus and stadium. I'd look there. Lots of hotels too.

When I go to 6th street, I always feel like a 6th grader at a Kindergartners' party. 4th street definitely a more mature and laid back vibe.

Here are some other top flight eateries if you're feeling adventurous and don't mind a bit of a drive
  • Casa Chapala: Outstanding interior Mexican Cuisine, best Mole sauce in town. Northside at the NE corner of 183 and Burnet.
  • Guero's: Top flight TexMex with an authentic ambiance, South Congress about a mile south of the Colorado River.
  • Chuy's: Kitchy TexMex w/no shortage of cold beer and savory, self-serve salsa. 7 locations in the Austin area.
  • Pretty much anywhere on Barton Springs road between Mopac and Congress Avenue
  • Salt Lick BBQ: The original Salt Lick is a bit of a trip southwest of town, but BBQ lovers will see it as a pilgrimage. The original BBQ pit is right next to the entrance, treating patrons to decades' worth of seasoned, aromatic bliss. There is also a location on the north side in Round Rock and a location inside Austin Bergstrom Airport near gate 21 for those of you flying in. All my out-of-town family members insist on making at least 1 stop at the Salt Lick during their stay.
  • County Line BBQ: Another "must visit". Great BBQ with a great view of Hill Country sunsets or Lake Austin.
  • East Side Cafe: High end American fare with a Southwestern flair. Set in an old, remodeled home, the ambiance cannot be beat. It's high class without being stuffy or pretentious. Manor Road east of downtown.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmdom

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
When I go to 6th street, I always feel like a 6th grader at a Kindergartners' party. 4th street definitely a more mature and laid back vibe.

Here are some other top flight eateries if you're feeling adventurous and don't mind a bit of a drive
  • Casa Chapala: Outstanding interior Mexican Cuisine, best Mole sauce in town. Northside at the NE corner of 183 and Burnet.
  • Guero's: Top flight TexMex with an authentic ambiance, South Congress about a mile south of the Colorado River.
  • Chuy's: Kitchy TexMex w/no shortage of cold beer and savory, self-serve salsa. 7 locations in the Austin area.
  • Pretty much anywhere on Barton Springs road between Mopac and Congress Avenue
  • Salt Lick BBQ: The original Salt Lick is a bit of a trip southwest of town, but BBQ lovers will see it as a pilgrimage. The original BBQ pit is right next to the entrance, treating patrons to decades' worth of seasoned, aromatic bliss. There is also a location on the north side in Round Rock and a location inside Austin Bergstrom Airport near gate 21 for those of you flying in. All my out-of-town family members insist on making at least 1 stop at the Salt Lick during their stay.
  • County Line BBQ: Another "must visit". Great BBQ with a great view of Hill Country sunsets or Lake Austin.
  • East Side Cafe: High end American fare with a Southwestern flair. Set in an old, remodeled home, the ambiance cannot be beat. It's high class without being stuffy or pretentious. Manor Road east of downtown.
Thanks for the great info. 4 of us are staying at the Comfort Stes south Austin(Franklin Park?). Is that good or bad? We have Salt Lick & County Line on our list. Also, the Gospel Brunch @ Stubbs(they sponsored my bbq team for a few years). Have met Aaron Franklin a couple times and would like to stop there, but will pass if the line is crazy long. We are going to the DFW tailgate, what do you recommend for parking or should we just Uber our way around. We are staying till Tuesday, besides bars what should we see? Thanks

sschrag03

Sep 12, 2012
TX, USA
Rainey Street is my favorite hangout. Container Bar is cool place along with most of the other establishments over there. The Handlebar on 5th and Brazos is owned by an Iowa Native.

EsTasClone

Dec 10, 2015
Heading down from KC with my wife. Excited to go to my first away Big 12 game south of the state of Kansas. Any recommendations for best places for live music? Going to be staying downtown so preferably around there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron