Austin Police : Texas linebacker Jack Ehlinger found dead off campus.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't feel like pills were that big at ISU when I was there from 01-04. Mostly weed, X, and power drinking. I noticed pills more in my late 20s when I was in DM.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
No one with any power is going to do anything about it. They've looked the other way at every step and have no desire to quit lining their pockets with Big Pharma money while throwing around political footballs related to topics that aren't all that important.

The War on Drugs should have been a war on Big Pharma but, you see, they happen to pay good money. It's basically a cartel at this point, at least as it relates to opioids.

This. The Sackler family (owned Purdue Pharma) made over $10 billion from opioids. They are now immune from future lawsuits and get to remain one of the wealthiest families in the world while everyone else gets to deal with the fallout.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't feel like pills were that big at ISU when I was there from 01-04. Mostly weed, X, and power drinking. I noticed pills more in my late 20s when I was in DM.

High school and ISU were all about beer/liquor. There was some weed, shrooms and acid to be found if you looked hard enough, but I was never around pills.

I'm really hoping these OD stories scare the **** out of some of these kids.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We are going to break 100,000 deaths per year from drug overdoses in the US very soon. 93,000 in 2020. The number of problems that get so much more attention and dollars by policy-makers and media that are a tiny fraction of this is part of the issue.

Fentanyl should not exist as a product. What a joke. And any doctor that prescribes it shouldn't be a doctor.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
High school and ISU were all about beer/liquor. There was some weed, shrooms and acid to be found if you looked hard enough, but I was never around pills.

I'm really hoping these OD stories scare the **** out of some of these kids.
We can scare the **** out of them all we want, but if they have a bad injury or accident the doctors will be there prescribing this "medicine" to them and telling them to just make sure they read the label.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
We are going to break 100,000 deaths per year from drug overdoses in the US very soon. 93,000 in 2020. The number of problems that get so much more attention and dollars by policy-makers and media that are a tiny fraction of this is part of the issue.

Fentanyl should not exist as a product. What a joke. And any doctor that prescribes it shouldn't be a doctor.
The cartels are hiring chemist and people like that to make it. That's where most of it comes from now.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Main reason I stayed away from pills in college. There was plenty of weak weed to smoke in the early '70's and it was mostly as trustworthy as regular beer. Pills and tabs where you had no control of the intake, just nope even for dumbass 19-year-old me. And that wasn't even an era where pills might kill you, make you sick or give you a bad trip but not death. Drugs deaths back than were limited to peeps shooting up.

You know, I don't remember much for pills being around. Yeah, there was some Adderall here and there but I don't even remember pills being a thing. I suppose when I was mostly at bars or holding the parties at our apartment I wasn't in an environment where people were just flaunting them but I can remember a single instance of an opioid. I'm sure I was just oblivious to some of it but 15 years ago it just didn't seem like a thing in college.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The cartels are hiring chemist and people like that to make it. That's where most of it comes from now.

Yeah, now the cats out of the bag on Fentanyl and Big Pharma, even if they stopped making it, isn't the main issue. Big Pharma is the issue insofar as promoting these products as if they are risk free and not addictive substances while knowing full well they are and then if they don't work, they just push the doses higher. Then, if a doctor is responsible and refuses to continue the script, you have an addict on the street looking for anything they can get and that's when you get into the stuff that kills people at a very high rate. Pill mills should be easy to shut down if they wanted to and it's sickening how obvious they are at times with no action taken.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

tumblr_n26xujewOw1s66lwvo4_250.gifv

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It surprises me that there's much money to be made for the cartels with Xanax. I think something like 35 million people have prescriptions for it in the United States. Seems like it would be an oversaturated market already just with people being able to get it from people they already know.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Yeah, now the cats out of the bag on Fentanyl and Big Pharma, even if they stopped making it, isn't the main issue. Big Pharma is the issue insofar as promoting these products as if they are risk free and not addictive substances while knowing full well they are and then if they don't work, they just push the doses higher. Then, if a doctor is responsible and refuses to continue the script, you have an addict on the street looking for anything they can get and that's when you get into the stuff that kills people at a very high rate. Pill mills should be easy to shut down if they wanted to and it's sickening how obvious they are at times with no action taken.
I don't think there are as many pill mills as there were 10-15 years ago. Still way too many.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
It surprises me that there's much money to be made for the cartels with Xanax. I think something like 35 million people have prescriptions for it in the United States. Seems like it would be an oversaturated market already just with people being able to get it from people they already know.
Gotta start people on something. Most people I know who have been messed up on heroin all started with a xanax, ativan, or klonopin script. Anxiety related as opposed to pain related.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

My brother was using Fentanyl patches when he was in hospice. That and morphine really helped him manage his pain. Opiates and their synthetics definitely have a use but only in really specific, short-term situations.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and JM4CY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My brother was using Fentanyl patches when he was in hospice. That and morphine really helped him manage his pain. Opiates and their synthetics definitely have a use but only in really specific, short-term situations.
A hospice or end of life situations seem like the only time fentanyl makes sense, but that stuff is so incredibly potent there should’ve been very limited supplies and uses.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It was around back then as well. Adderall, concerta, xanax, oxy, etc were all around. They just weren't the rage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron