Austin Gomez ....

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
If anyone were to be wavering, it's probably Verkleeren. I know he said he's staying, but he would make the most sense I feel like. He's a big freestyle guy, cadet world champ I think, and that's one thing Dresser doesn't specialize in, so that would be my guess.

I hope he stays obviously, because he's a big time recruit.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Maybe I missed something but Verk signed his NLI and has NOT asked for a release. Isn't this correct? I'm excited to see this kid in Cardinal and Gold.

Reactions: jmb1498

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
As far as I know.
Gomez has recommitted
Leisure has stated that he is committed
Coleman has stated that he is committed
Allar has asked for a release and granted and committed to Minnesota
Smith has asked for a release, but hasn't ruled out recommitting
Verkleeren has not asked for a release at least publicly and I think he is staying a Cyclone.

If there is another one, I would say it is Verkleeren, but know nothing about that

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
36 Hunter Bolen Christiansburg Virginia 160 Virginia Tech

Intermat. Nice replacement for Allar

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
24 John Borst Sherando Virginia 195 Virginia Tech

Maybe this guy if we miss on Smith and he can go 184

Senior Rank, First & Last Name, Town, State, high school weight, committed school

Per Intermat

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
I wouldn't think we will have any news about any changes in Virginia Tech's recruiting class until after a decision is made on a new coach for them. Coach Dresser has been been a absolute class act during this process and I don't see him going after any of the VT's recruits. Of all wrestling programs, we can relate to what Virginia Tech is having to go through now and I should think the talent in our room and the incoming class will provide a great nucleus to build from without needing to poach from Virginia Tech.

After a coaching hire is made at VT, however, if and when any wrestlers still decide to follow Coach Dresser, then I'm sure they would be more than welcome to the Cyclone Nation. It should be their choice only, without any undue influence from ISU.

Besides, I haven't seen any mention of defects yet on the VT board, but that could change in the near future, or not. BTW, the format of the VT chat board... WTF???

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: matclone and CyGold

CloneWR

Nov 1, 2016
Guessing Dresser gave each the call and informed then he was going to ISU, wished them luck, preached confidence in Robie being the next man up and finished with if you decide not to attend VT give me a call as ISU.

CloneWR

Nov 1, 2016
Flo said verk had asked for a release but that it wasn't publicly stated. So assuming that is the one. Wonder where he lands or if Dresser has him recommitted?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yeah I have heard rumblings that Verkleeren was wanting to wrestle for Paulsons and sounds like that is a longshot now.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Yeah I have heard rumblings that Verkleeren was wanting to wrestle for Paulsons and sounds like that is a longshot now.

Definitely disappointing. Hopefully KD can convince him otherwise, or use those scholarship dollars to go after someone of similar quality.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Does anyone else think we could use
Definitely disappointing. Hopefully KD can convince him otherwise, or use those scholarship dollars to go after someone of similar quality.
I definitely want Verk to be a Cyclone but I'm willing to bet that all assistant coach choices will be made based upon KD's opinion of the long-term success of the program and not any of the current or future wrestlers. Not that anyone has suggested otherwise. KD may not have the freestyle resume but he definitely has a track record of building winning teams and develop talent from within his room. He's already stressed the importance of a RTC so I'm sure ISU will continue to produce Olympic Gold medalists in the future (hint; hint; Kyven and Michael Moreno)