Austin Flynn

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
My favorite Austin Flynn memory is when he was blocking on the goal line for Ryan Koch, and got run over. After the game, he claimed it was his fault because he didn't get out of Ryan's way.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Hands down my favorite football player ever..

but what would make Austin take a job at Grandview in Des Moines, IA? Me thinks he's made a call to the staff and they helped 'place' him at Grandview before he comes to ISU in a few years.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Hands down my favorite football player ever..

but what would make Austin take a job at Grandview in Des Moines, IA? Me thinks he's made a call to the staff and they helped 'place' him at Grandview before he comes to ISU in a few years.

Who on the staff would have a connection with Austin?

I'm surprised he's not a GA or something at North Texas to be honest.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
My favorite Austin Flynn memory is when he was blocking on the goal line for Ryan Koch, and got run over. After the game, he claimed it was his fault because he didn't get out of Ryan's way.

I was sitting in the end zone at Kinnick (2003) and I remember him getting up after getting sacked and walking towards the back of the endzone. I knew right away something wasn't right. Another player saw him wandering and grabbed him and motioned to the sideline. That concussion put him out of the game. I know, not a great moment... but wait for it...

Right after that I watched a Hawk cheerleader try to do a flip. She had good form, but not very much momentum going into it. She faceplanted. It was excellent!

What do the two have in common? Nothing, but seeing the Hawk cheerleader bite it made me feel better about Austin being taken out of the game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I was sitting in the end zone at Kinnick (2003) and I remember him getting up after getting sacked and walking towards the back of the endzone. I knew right away something wasn't right. Another player saw him wandering and grabbed him and motioned to the sideline. That concussion put him out of the game.

It was 2004. 2003 was in Ames when QB Chandler ran (yes, he gained some good yards on the ground) all over us. Cold, wet day IIRC. We got handled pretty bad. '04 was a 17-10 game, we missed 3 FGs. Lone TD by us was a beauty of a pass from Flynn to Blythe in the back of that same end zone he was stumbling around near.

Flynn did not walk anywhere after that hit near the end of the '04 game - he zig-zagged. Remember it quite well as I was in the same end zone.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
It was 2004. 2003 was in Ames when QB Chandler ran (yes, he gained some good yards on the ground) all over us. Cold, wet day IIRC. We got handled pretty bad. '04 was a 17-10 game, we missed 3 FGs. Lone TD by us was a beauty of a pass from Flynn to Blythe in the back of that same end zone he was stumbling around near.

Flynn did not walk anywhere after that hit near the end of the '04 game - he zig-zagged. Remember it quite well as I was in the same end zone.

Was it 04? Damn... memory is slipping. Must be the age thing creeping up on me. Anyway, yes he did zig zag. Man that was terrible. Also in that game in 04 Iowa's RB (Greene?) had about 130 yards rushing, but he had one big play where he gained about 50 yards. We contained him quite well.

I also remember thinking to myself... Iowa's band sucks!

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Congratulations Austin! Would be great to have you on CPR's staff here some day.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Who on the staff would have a connection with Austin?

I'm surprised he's not a GA or something at North Texas to be honest.

The dude is a Cyclone...does he really need a connection to the current staff? I'm not saying I know but of all the jobs the guy could have had down in Texas he takes a job in central Iowa of all places? I'm betting he would also be a great recruiter in the state of Texas....:cool:

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
As an Alumni of Grand View and and die hard Cyclone fan this is win-win. Grand View is a great place for Austin to get his feet wet and then maybe head a little up north to continue coaching. I just might have to get to a couple of Viking games next year.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
My biggest memory was a sore one, where he put a TD pass under his arm and clearly had a foot down in the endzone, and the caption under the pic said, "how is this not a touchdown?" wish I could recall the opponent, but I think we lost that game.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
My biggest memory was a sore one, where he put a TD pass under his arm and clearly had a foot down in the endzone, and the caption under the pic said, "how is this not a touchdown?" wish I could recall the opponent, but I think we lost that game.

I remember this occurring, but like you can't place it. Damn. This is going to bother me now.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX

Nebraska?

fwiw

May 20, 2009
Received an email from Harold Flynn, Austin's dad this morning. Effective Aug 1 he will become an Asst. Football Coach at Grandview and become a member of Mike Woodley's staff. He is finishing up his Masters Degree. Austin married his high school sweetheart, Jana, (former Houston Texan cheerleader) and they have a little boy Ethan who I think is less than two. Jana has a degree in marketing so if any Clone fan knows of any opportunities the Flynns would appreciate it.

Great to hear, Austin always seemed like a great guy -- tough as nails and exactly the kind of person you want representing your school.

I'm sure Austin can find out who the big ISU alums are in the area so Jana can start networking with them. She might also get on Linked In and start making contacts. Not sure if she has an interest in a particular area (advertising? copywriting? sales?), but there are jobs in DSM and 2011 looks like it might be a decent year for the job market here.

Also suggest she check out the Des Moines Business Record to get familiar with the business community in the area.

Welcome back Austin!

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Was it 04? Damn... memory is slipping. Must be the age thing creeping up on me. Anyway, yes he did zig zag. Man that was terrible. Also in that game in 04 Iowa's RB (Greene?) had about 130 yards rushing, but he had one big play where he gained about 50 yards. We contained him quite well.

I also remember thinking to myself... Iowa's band sucks!

Dude, are you drunk? First you tell a story that gets shot down by another person that was actually at the 2004 game, then you start talking about Shonn Greene having played in the 2004 game when he was at Iowa from like 2006-08. Get your **** straight

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
Nebraska?

Yep. It was Nebraska at JTS. '06? Game was on ABC I believe. The announcers said the same thing. Don't know how the replay guy didn't call it a TD. We also lost another long gain to the red zone or maybe even a TD due to a Blythe OPI. Lost by 14 IIRC.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Nebraska?

Yep. It was Nebraska at JTS. '06? Game was on ABC I believe. The announcers said the same thing. Don't know how the replay guy didn't call it a TD. We also lost another long gain to the red zone or maybe even a TD due to a Blythe OPI. Lost by 14 IIRC.

Yes, it was Nebraska. Biggest fallacy by ISU fans though, is thinking we could have won that game. Nebraska toyed with us the entire game, if they had really wanted to put up 50 on us, they could have. They knew we posed no thread and just did what they needed to in order to win.

Score was nowhere near indicative of how the game actually went.