Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Will be very interesting to see her transition from high school ball to the college level. Happy she chose us.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The competition level will be an adjustment from small school Iowa to the Big 12, especially for a post player, but she has a rare combo of strength, touch, great hands, and great vision and is a really good passer. She doesn't have to use it much because of her length and strength vs. the competition, but she has some really good footwork with her back to the basket that you just don't see much in high school anymore.

She's about winning and the team.

Great news for this program.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The competition level will be an adjustment from small school Iowa to the Big 12, especially for a post player
To be fair, the scholarship offers she's raked in probably come primarily from her AAU play, not her high school games. Hallie Christofferson was a rare example of a small-school player who didn't do much AAU and ended up flying under the radar (although ISU and Iowa both recruited her very hard). I imagine in a case like Crooks, the high school games are good for seeing how they work with teammates, how they handle adversity, etc. But AAU is probably where the coaches focus more on the level of basketball ability, especially with small-school players.

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The competition level will be an adjustment from small school Iowa to the Big 12, especially for a post player, but she has a rare combo of strength, touch, great hands, and great vision and is a really good passer. She doesn't have to use it much because of her length and strength vs. the competition, but she has some really good footwork with her back to the basket that you just don't see much in high school anymore.

She's about winning and the team.

Great news for this program.

Yeah, not worried about small school competition. She plays AAU and there is no way someone becomes a top 60 recruit by dominating small school Iowa basketball only.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
she has a rare combo of strength, touch, great hands, and great vision and is a really good passer.
For those who haven't seen her play, this is what you need to understand about the "great hands" comment: when it comes to catching passes and grabbing rebounds, she's Charlie Kolar out there. I'm so used to seeing post players bobble the ball, so this always stands out every time I've seen her play (which hasn't been a whole lot, but I've watched a couple games plus since highlights).

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
The Iowa fans comments on her exactly why I never can cheer for them. I try but it just can’t happen. Mad Fran, bulldog blunder bluder, Brian Ferentz, brands brothers, and 90 pct of their fans make it impossible. The Iowa fans excuse on this one. She would slow down their offense. She wouldn’t be able to keep up with Clark. She would slow down Clark’s flow. They are so embarrassing!!

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
The Iowa fans comments on her exactly why I never can cheer for them. I try but it just can’t happen. Mad Fran, bulldog blunder bluder, Brian Ferentz, brands brothers, and 90 pct of their fans make it impossible. The Iowa fans excuse on this one. She would slow down their offense. She wouldn’t be able to keep up with Clark. She would slow down Clark’s flow. They are so embarrassing!!
You have to remember that in Iowa fans' minds Clark is the greatest women's basketball player to ever play. So the only thing holding them back from a National Title is her teammates, the refs, and bad luck (in some order).

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The Iowa fans comments... She would slow down their offense. She wouldn’t be able to keep up with Clark. She would slow down Clark’s flow.
The thing is, Crooks can run the floor just fine, as long as you aren't putting her out there for 30 minutes. She was usually slow getting up and down the court in high school (except when necessary to get down the court quickly), but you have to realize that she doesn't leave the court unless she has foul trouble or the game is a blowout. If speed/stamina is an issue in college, then you do what ISU did this year with Beagan Kordao (or whatever mashup name we're using) -- get 20 mpg from her and 20 mpg from someone like Zingaro.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
For those who haven't seen her play, this is what you need to understand about the "great hands" comment: when it comes to catching passes and grabbing rebounds, she's Charlie Kolar out there. I'm so used to seeing post players bobble the ball, so this always stands out every time I've seen her play (which hasn't been a whole lot, but I've watched a couple games plus since highlights).
Completely agree, that was one of the biggest things that stood out to me. She's so much better at that aspect than tons of posts I've seen even at the college level, she excels at making a clean catch. Plus I love how often she looks to get an outlet pass up ahead after defensive rebounds.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Czinsno (sp?) slows things down so what would be the difference?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

She might steal some NIL deals and Keith Murphy might only tweet about Clark 10 times a day instead of the current 25 times a day!