Attracting Media Attention for Lucca

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
As I mentioned in a prior thread, I contacted Clear Channel to see if there were any billboards near NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis. I finally heard back about availability, and the closest they have is one on West 10th Street near the Allison Transmission building. I think I can actually see it on google earth just northeast of the building. It would be about $1,700 to get a message on it for a month.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that location would be able to attract sufficient attention to Lucca's plight. I've been trying to come up with other ideas. I really don't know much of anything regarding media and advertising though. I would welcome ideas from anyone else. Other idea's I've had involve newspaper and television advertisements, or perhaps a billboard near Ames.

I had really hoped to be able to use a relatively simple and pointed advertisement that could be used to point people to a website where we could make our case. So, if some method of attracting attention could be accomplished, the effort would also probably require someone to design and maintain a website, which is also something I know next to nothing about.

I'd love to hear any ideas from anyone else. Hopefully this could be somewhat of a brainstorming thread.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
How about a website? Freelucca.com? We could pimp the heck out of it on here and make sure some media outlets hear about it?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I like the idea but 1 thing to keep in mind is let's not go and do something that will get us into trouble with the compliance dept. or jeopardize the efforts of the athletic dept. to get this resolved. Just wish there was a way to get the national media to give it some attention then maybe the story could build some steam.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Contact that "Outside the Lines" guy on ESPN. He loves stories of injustices like this.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
First of all, +rep to you for the initiative.

My only contribution of consequence to this topic is that I can handle doing a website, but it would have to be static because I don't have the resources necessary to do something dynamic (aka better). Talk to Jeremy maybe...?

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
1) $1,700 isnt bad...especially if we split the cost with Washington State (of course checking compliance is vital)
2) why dont we start emailing Rome, this seems like the type of story he might just eat up

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maybe we could just send Chris Hansen to the NCAA offices to talk to Brand. "Take a set Mr. Brand, please go ahead and take a seat.. What were you thinking?" :biglaugh: The guy is almost hypnotizing. If he can get a perv to sit and talk on camera you'd think he could do it to about anyone.

doc46143021cbbe6513566147.jpg

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Contact that "Outside the Lines" guy on ESPN. He loves stories of injustices like this.
I submitted the idea to them online and posted the link to it a bit back, so I'm guessing some others did too.

Someone also mentioned Rome. I know a number of people have emailed him. You'll get back a nice little automated email with some advertisements.

It also does not appear that the NCAA is talking to anyone about their justifications. The Register noted that they did not respond to inquiries, and when I tried to call them I got blown off.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I like the Website idea. Just post some pictures of him, tell the exact story of what happenned. If people actually knew that he paid to be on that team and he didn't even know what was going on then the story becomes popular.
Maybe even get some input from Lucca himself or at least reference the Register, Cyclones.com, cyclone report etc... you could put the Petition link on there and get really creative. Some of the people on this website have crazy web experience so that shouldn't be a problem. You could even bounce the idea off the compliance department at ISU or just talk to Ace.
I like Billboard idea, but website is accessible worldwide. You just got to get the freelucca (or whatever domain name) out to like ESPN or something. Billboard could be a last resort or something.
I would imagine if Jamie Pollard can't talk to these guys then it must be pretty bad.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
First of all, +rep to you for the initiative.

My only contribution of consequence to this topic is that I can handle doing a website, but it would have to be static because I don't have the resources necessary to do something dynamic (aka better). Talk to Jeremy maybe...?
Is it possible for multiple people to be able to access and maintain a website so that several computer savvy people could contribute what they could?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If someone designs it and grabs a domain, I could host it for free.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
According to the Chad Johnson commercials, you can get a domain name at GoDaddy for $1.99 a year, but I bet the cheapest version of that service would insert "godaddy" or some variety somewhere in the address.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I submitted the idea to them online and posted the link to it a bit back, so I'm guessing some others did too.

Someone also mentioned Rome. I know a number of people have emailed him. You'll get back a nice little automated email with some advertisements.

It also does not appear that the NCAA is talking to anyone about their justifications. The Register noted that they did not respond to inquiries, and when I tried to call them I got blown off.
i dont think we can give up. if they keep getting emails daily they are bound to look into it a little and see if its a story. and we all know they will find one.

what about collaborating with WSU? has anyone been on their boards? what are they saying?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is it possible for multiple people to be able to access and maintain a website so that several computer savvy people could contribute what they could?

If the site were purely static, you'd need to set up some kind of FTP connection so that people could check files in and out and post updated versions to the server.

If it were dynamic, then you could create forms or some other types of tools so people can easily contribute content.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Any ideas on the domain name? Some possible options:

freelucca.com
ncaainjustice.com

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
PM me if someone would like to take me up on my offer.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Any ideas on the domain name? Some possible options:

freelucca.com
ncaainjustice.com

I like freelucca.com. It's more positive and puts the emphasis on Lucca rather than make it seem like we're just a bunch of yahoos out to destroy the NCAA.

But then again, maybe we are...?:nah:

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i think we should not only have it say free lucca but they also got that WSU guy so i think we should include him.. maybe we should talk on there message boards and see what they think