athlon ranks 'em all ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
17. Iowa State
iowa-state-cyclones.png
The Cyclones have posted a winning Big 12 record in three consecutive years for the first time in program history. A trip to the Big 12 Championship Game should be within reach in 2020, especially as coach Matt Campbell's team returns one of the league's top quarterbacks (Brock Purdy) and a defense that has ranked near the top of the Big 12 in each of the last three seasons. Purdy has plenty of weapons to utilize, as tight end Charlie Kolar is poised to challenge for All-America honors, running back Breece Hall is a rising star, and receiver Tarique Milton averaged 20.6 yards per catch last season. The offensive line is Campbell's biggest concern and will likely determine whether or not Iowa State gets to the Big 12 title game. The Cyclones host Oklahoma but play Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas away from Ames.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...pJobID=1781631269&spReportId=MTc4MTYzMTI2OQS2

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think we are a serious dark horse this year. If the oline shows up, watch out.

Well, technically we are returning 3 linemen with starting experience which I believe is really being overlooked. Imagine if Robert Hudson can actually move some people @ 360 lbs. :eek:

Left tackle will be key. Joey Ramos is the heir apparent there, correct?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Well, technically we are returning 3 linemen with starting experience which I believe is really being overlooked. Imagine if Robert Hudson can actually move some people @ 360 lbs. :eek:

I'm optimistic. I'll be disappointed if Campbell doesn't field a good line in his 5th year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm optimistic. I'll be disappointed if Campbell doesn't field a good line in his 5th year.
It doesn't need to be good. It needs to be average. It can't be below average or bad.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
74. Arkansas
New coach Sam Pittman inherits a program that hasn't won an SEC game since 2017 and faces a brutal schedule in '20.

I knew Arkansas had fallen, but I didn't realize they hadn't won a conference game the past two years.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

It doesn't need to be good. It needs to be average. It can't be below average or bad.

We haven't struggled much in pass protection lately. Getting some push up front would be nice. Imagine if Montgomery would have had running lanes...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I actually think this is the year we start to see true improvement on the o-line as long as the guys have developed as scheduled.

Reactions: Snydes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We haven't struggled much in pass protection lately. Getting some push up front would be nice. Imagine if Montgomery would have had running lanes...
Pass protection has not been bad you're correct. It's been our running game (at certain times), but mostly just dumb mistakes / penalties. I would love to see how many false starts we've had the past 3 years.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
In the Big 12 unit rankings they ranked the ISU DL, LBs and DBs all first in the league.

RBs and WR's are ranked 4th; OL, 7th.
Actually pretty nasty to have a completely sweep of #1 defense spots, although the #1 DL may be a little generous. They must not see meaningful dropoff from Lima in particular (and maybe I'm overvaluing him, too).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Actually pretty nasty to have a completely sweep of #1 defense spots, although the #1 DL may be a little generous. They must not see meaningful dropoff from Lima in particular (and maybe I'm overvaluing him, too).
Guys behind him have held their own. I think with our DE, and the size we have its justified.

Reactions: MeowingCows

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's not that we've had a ton; they've just been at the worst possible times. Drive killers. :mad:
All comes down to focus. As a lineman the pace of the game can get blurry because you can be gasping for air for 5 minutes straight without much time to think depending on tempo. Gotta keep that snap count present, even among the millions other things you're going through on pre snap check downs.

Help Support Us

Become a patron