Athletic Article on Pac-10 Play for Pac-16

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not until you tell me what’s really going on.

giphy.gif

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Who was throwing it out those numbers last year? Just Miller and Deace? You said "a couple of years ago the Big 10 was talking about 70 to 80 million per team". I'm calling BS on that.

You can call it anything you want, but the numbers are not rising like they were before.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You can call it anything you want, but the numbers are not rising like they were before.

The B1G's revenue numbers are exactly what they were projecting when they signed the new contract. They made $100 million more total and $10 million more per school than the SEC in 2018. I know you hate the B1G and really want to believe that it's struggling but how on Earth you can believe that the conference's numbers "are not rising like they were before" makes zero sense and isn't backed up by any facts.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The B1G's revenue numbers are exactly what they were projecting when they signed the new contract. They made $100 million more total and $10 million more per school than the SEC in 2018. I know you hate the B1G and really want to believe that it's struggling but how on Earth you can believe that the conference's numbers "are not rising like they were before" makes zero sense and isn't backed up by any facts.
Yeah, the Big 10 is in a good spot. I personally wish it was just the 10 1990 teams but in terms of money we're doing great.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I have never said the league is struggling, I said the numbers are not rising like what was predicted a year or two ago. You do not believe that, I could care less. The SEC will top the Big 10 when they redo their deal. Then when the Big 10 redoes theirs, they will move back in front.
I do think it was a mistake to only get a 5 year deal, instead of 10 or more. The days of being able to charge everyone in a state are coming to an end. Or are you going to dispute that also?
When the change over to streaming take place, the amount of people in your state no longer is important, its how many people attend the games, and how many of those will pay for streaming.
Enjoy your time in the sun, its coming to and end.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have never said the league is struggling, I said the numbers are not rising like what was predicted a year or two ago. You do not believe that, I could care less. The SEC will top the Big 10 when they redo their deal. Then when the Big 10 redoes theirs, they will move back in front.
I do think it was a mistake to only get a 5 year deal, instead of 10 or more. The days of being able to charge everyone in a state are coming to an end. Or are you going to dispute that also?
When the change over to streaming take place, the amount of people in your state no longer is important, its how many people attend the games, and how many of those will pay for streaming.
Enjoy your time in the sun, its coming to and end.

Yes, Delany signed a short-term deal intentionally because he wanted to milk the last of the massive TV deals, which he has to the tune of $10 million more per school than the SEC. Then the B1G will sign its next deal in the age of cord-cutter streaming when that landscape is a little more settled and before all of the other P5 conferences' current TV deals are up, so the B1G will set the stage for that. The short-term, six-year deal was brilliant. Delany will be missed.

And your claim that "a year or two ago" the B1G was predicting $70-$80 million per year, per school is complete BS.

Last edited:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
As much as I love realignment to be over. I’m afraid it isn’t over quite yet. There is a good reason OU decided to not put their tier 3 network with the rest of the big 12 schools outside of Texas. And there’s also a very good reason why OU tier 3 is with Fox same as the Big Ten. There are some pseudo-realignment experts that really truly believe that OU and KU are the next in line to be gobbled up by the Big Ten and courted by the Big Ten. I agree fully that OU best shot at making a national championship or making the playoffs is by being in the Big 12. And a big part of me has to think that OU is seeing the demise of Nebraska fball and it’s impact on leaving the big 12 but in the end one thing wins out: $$$.

The Big schools will make $50 million+ next 2-3 years with a brand new TV contract coming right around 2023/24..oddly around same time Big 12 GOR is up.

As it sits right now OU is still making about the same as BIG schools, however if new negotiations in big 12 contract come out with OU making $8-$10 mil or more per year less than BIG schools I could see OU bolt. Over 6-7 years talking $60-$70 million. That’s a ton.

So I’m really hoping the Big 12 can negotiate a premier deal this next time around or I could see the other 8 schools taking a little less than equal share in order to keep Tx and OU in the conference.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't give up their deal is...they'd be giving up money as part of the contract they agreed to with Fox? Oklahoma also wasn't the only one that had a deal with Fox. Schools like TCU also have/had their stuff on there. There's no real conspiracy as to why their stuff is there. It made the most sense and the most money.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
If realignment does happen, 10 team regional conferences are the future.

Nope. It's a nice thought experiment, but it certainly won't work that way. You're more likely to see it driven by what fanbases can drive the most online subscribers (might help a school like BYU into the Big 12). 10 team regional conferences would leave money on the table, cause problems in terms of university/academic partnerships (no school would leave the Big 10 with the CIC, etc.) and ultimately cause too many problems to solve.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I think a lot of us here don't attribute this to adding Rutgers is all.

From what I've read on B10 boards it's how most B10 fans feel.

It hasn't hurt them yet but at best they are neutral additions long term.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think a lot of us here don't attribute this to adding Rutgers is all.

From what I've read on B10 boards it's how most B10 fans feel.

It hasn't hurt them yet but at best they are neutral additions long term.

Maybe not but who the hell knows. What's obvious to me is Delany knows what he's doing. The next guy has big shoes to fill.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yes, Delany signed a short-term deal intentionally because he wanted to milk the last of the massive TV deals, which he has to the tune of $10 million more per school than the SEC. Then the B1G will sign its next deal in the age of cord-cutter streaming when that landscape is a little more settled and before all of the other P5 conferences' current TV deals are up, so the B1G will set the stage for that. The short-term, six-year deal was brilliant. Delany will be missed.

And your claim that "a year or two ago" the B1G was predicting $70-$80 million per year, per school is complete BS.

So he wanted to milk the deal, but then expects more with all the cost cutting going on? Why not take a 10 to 12 year deal and lock in the rates that they are receiving? Could it be that the networks were not willing to go that far, considering that ESPN and FOX are losing substitutions and therefore customers left and right?
A bird in the hand it worth more than 2 in the bush. Its a gamble, but the Big 10 has been the pioneer in this whole thing, so I guess we will see. It may be the new comish is praising Delany, or cursing him.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So he wanted to milk the deal, but then expects more with all the cost cutting going on? Why not take a 10 to 12 year deal and lock in the rates that they are receiving? Could it be that the networks were not willing to go that far, considering that ESPN and FOX are losing substitutions and therefore customers left and right?
A bird in the hand it worth more than 2 in the bush. Its a gamble, but the Big 10 has been the pioneer in this whole thing, so I guess we will see. It may be the new comish is praising Delany, or cursing him.

You seriously think that in 12 years the conference would be guaranteed to get the same revenue they're getting today with how cord cutters and streaming will be taking over? You seriously thing there's such a thing as "lock in rates" when ESPN and other networks continue to see their value/ratings nosedive? You're right that ESPN and FOX are losing substitutions and customers left and right. That's why he locked it in at $54 mill per school until 2022/23 and then the B1G will renegotiate with the new media players while all the other P5 conferences are still locked in their old TV deals.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You seriously think that in 12 years the conference would be guaranteed to get the same revenue they're getting today with how cord cutters and streaming will be taking over? You seriously thing there's such a thing as "lock in rates" when ESPN and other networks continue to see their value/ratings nosedive? You're right that ESPN and FOX are losing substitutions and customers left and right. That's why he locked it in at $54 mill per school until 2022/23 and then the B1G will renegotiate with the new media players while all the other P5 conferences are still locked in their old TV deals.

You said he was milking the deal, then planning on being first to set the rates. My point was that Delany had no choice but to take the shorter deal. If he could have taken a 10 to 12 year deal, that was a mistake. No the rates are not going to be there in the future, why did he not lock them in for longer? You are trying to have it both ways, Saying he got a great deal, but then he can resign for a lower rate down the road.
If the Big 10 goes first than that will set the table for the other conferences to follow, they will allow the Big 10 to be the guinea pig and then the other conferences can use that to set their rates of what they hope to get.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
KU is the 3rd most valuable franchise in the league. For the little it brings in football, it more than makes up for it in BB. They are also an AAU school, if the league folded, KU will find a seat in a P5 league.

Jamie said KU was in the life raft with us when the crap hit the fan.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You said he was milking the deal, then planning on being first to set the rates. My point was that Delany had no choice but to take the shorter deal. If he could have taken a 10 to 12 year deal, that was a mistake. No the rates are not going to be there in the future, why did he not lock them in for longer? You are trying to have it both ways, Saying he got a great deal, but then he can resign for a lower rate down the road.
If the Big 10 goes first than that will set the table for the other conferences to follow, they will allow the Big 10 to be the guinea pig and then the other conferences can use that to set their rates of what they hope to get.

There was no way he could lock in $54 million per year per school for 12 years with the existing media landscape. He knew that. No clue what you're talking about saying I'm trying to "have it both ways." Yes he got the best deal for the B1G in the short term, then can re-up with new media players when the streaming landscape is more settled in 2023 while the other P5 conferences are locked in to antiquated TV deals. For the next 3-4 years the B1G will continue widening the gap between other P5 conferences. Brilliant. Yes the B1G will go first and if the new guy is as good as Delany he'll school all the other conferences the way Delany has.

You're the one who tried saying the B1G was talking about $70-$80 million per year per school, and trying to frame it as though the conference was coming up short of those projections, which was completely false. You willing to walk that one back?

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I just don't want to take teams to take teams. I don't want a bunch of Rutgers type teams just so we can be 12 teams. If someone like Missouri, Colorado, Arkansas, Arizona State or Arizona came along. That would be nice. However, taking crap so we can have 12 teams would be dumb. Big 10 has a bunch of random crap schools for no reason.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I just don't want to take teams to take teams. I don't want a bunch of Rutgers type teams just so we can be 12 teams. If someone like Missouri, Colorado, Arkansas, Arizona State or Arizona came along. That would be nice. However, taking crap so we can have 12 teams would be dumb. Big 10 has a bunch of random crap schools for no reason.
I agree and I think this is the attitude of the conference leadership. The fan fiction where we all propose our new look Big 12 (like mine w/ the AZ schools) are well and good but if it doesn't make more money it's just nonsense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron