Assistants

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
If he brought in Zaddick and St John plus Added Ramos you guys would have an all Hawkeye Staff. I don't even think Iowa has that with Berhow being on their staff. Just a side note I actually like Ramos a lot more now that's he's not affiliated with the Hawks, seems like he's mellowed out quite a bit

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I trust KD too, but it's still fun to speculate!

If there is plenty of money to throw at assistants, how about Pritzlaff?

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I circled Ramos the day we hired dresser and most shot it down-why not get a little hawk toughness in the room?

Ramos, like Gilman after him, isn't the type of role model I'd want in the room for our athletes or younger fans. Being a schoolyard bully isn't the same as being tough, something the fans on the other side of the state are starting to figure out themselves.

Cyk Aboody

Feb 20, 2017
Ramos, like Gilman after him, isn't the type of role model I'd want in the room for our athletes or younger fans. Being a schoolyard bully isn't the same as being tough, something the fans on the other side of the state are starting to figure out themselves.

I agree 100%. I really don't know which one I hate the most....Gamos and Failman are two of the biggest a$$ hats of all time.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
The problem is the culture of the room. That "gang mentality" with drugs has to go. This coming from a current wrestling team member, not speculation.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
If he brought in Zaddick and St John plus Added Ramos you guys would have an all Hawkeye Staff. I don't even think Iowa has that with Berhow being on their staff. Just a side note I actually like Ramos a lot more now that's he's not affiliated with the Hawks, seems like he's mellowed out quite a bit

He's been gone from the Iowa program less than a year. Very tough to tell this.

KD has been gone from Iowa for a long time. His formative coaching years weren't spent there. I doubt we will have an all Iowa staff but if we do, at least KD has had other major influences.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That doesn't surprise me. KJ seemed to do well with the top talent (and the most driven) but really seemed to lose some of them and wasn't able to get after the others.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
I want a staff that can get Iowa State to wrestle 7 full minutes and win duals and get us in the top ten. As long as he runs a clean program and not a lot of off the mat distractions, I will trust whoever Dresser wants to bring in.

+1. My biggest thing for the assistants will be the ability to recruit. I think Dresser has proved he can develop the mid range talent. Hopefully he take a high ranked kid and push him to champ. Devin Carter was close.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
What're the chances Dresser announces the assistant coaches tonight at the CWC meeting? I've heard rumors he's showing St. John around lied and then campus today

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would say it is a possibility. Not sure what the agenda is. I think some structure about CWC/RTC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I want a staff that can get Iowa State to wrestle 7 full minutes and win duals and get us in the top ten. As long as he runs a clean program and not a lot of off the mat distractions, I will trust whoever Dresser wants to bring in.

I believe KD will get things straightened out. Right now the probable leaders for the team seem to be on the younger side (no subsitution for senior leadership in the end), so I think KD will be able to take the reins without many issues for this year and then transition the roles to where they should be. I think the major issue individuals have moved on and the rest will be fine with Dressers leadership.

Hoping they announce the assistants tonight. Time to finish that business and nail down the last recruits. Would love for Verk to somehow find his way back to us.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The only Junior in our lineup was Pestano and the only Sophomores were Breitenbach and Harrington, right? It was all seniors or freshman at the other 8 weights.

125: Freshman gave way to Senior
133: Senior
141: Senior
149: Freshman gave way to Senior
157: Freshman
165: Junior gave way to Sophomore
174: Senior
184: Senior didn't give way to injury default
197: Sophomore
HWT: Senior

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The only Junior in our lineup was Pestano and the only Sophomores were Breitenbach and Harrington, right? It was all seniors or freshman at the other 8 weights.

Decent replacements for 125, 133, 141, 174 or 184(Pestano), Hwt.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

With the redshirt freshman coming eligible and the ones we will redshirt, Dresser has a nice foundation to work with.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
With the redshirt freshman coming eligible and the ones we will redshirt, Dresser has a nice foundation to work with.

Presumably, tough to project a lineup right now though. Gotta see who's coming in and who's transferring out. Plus weight changes, which Dresser will hopefully be much better about.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Presumably, tough to project a lineup right now though. Gotta see who's coming in and who's transferring out. Plus weight changes, which Dresser will hopefully be much better about.

I agree. I cant see many of the younger guys leaving with the time they should be getting and with dressers track record of development. Throw in the RTC and it should really help.

Question on the RTC. Where is the closest one currently? Does Iowa have one? I didn't think they did.