Assistant Coaches Recruiting Confidential

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Gaines is the 2022 guy I hope can make the most impact, a primary receiver with size looks to be the one spot on the offense we will be missing.

Agreed. The playing time is there for him to take too, losing X and multiple WRs needing to step up as well

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You obviously don't know 4L's pergoative. Most unrealistic sunshine pumper there is on this board.

Imagine thinking there won't be a Drop off going from one of, if not the best DE, in the country, to a true freshman.

I will say he's obviously high on these guys, but he has been pretty dang spot on with who he thinks will make an impact as freshman.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
You obviously don't know 4L's pergoative. Most unrealistic sunshine pumper there is on this board.

Imagine thinking there won't be a Drop off going from one of, if not the best DE, in the country, to a true freshman.
Yeah he's definitely in the know but also a sunshine pumper. And I'm not even saying he won't contribute next year. He could be a guy they play in passing situations. But McDonald has been an absolute stud this year and took a couple years to get to this point.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah he's definitely in the know but also a sunshine pumper. And I'm not even saying he won't contribute next year. He could be a guy they play in passing situations. But McDonald has been an absolute stud this year and took a couple years to get to this point.
McDonald contributed even his redshirt year. So if the opportunity is there it's possible.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love the Florida, FSU, and Miami talk. I've thought that way for a while now too.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If he's anything close to Will, that's a win.

Replacing Will is the single biggest task for the D this summer.

I guess I look at this a little different. We aren't going to replace McDonald, Rose, Kolar or Purdy. But we will have individual players step in a different way from our current studs or we will see the position group en masse step up.

On the DL bringing back Lee & Singleton should be a solid start in the middle. Zach Petersen coming back would be huge, he has a great motor. IMO he could significantly increase his draft stock coming back for 2022. The staff has also recruited a number of DL in the last 2 classes that hopefully a couple will be ready to step up- Wilson, Suttle, Onyedim, Brown, Peterson and Gray.

Also we could see the LB position group be more active in rushing the QB.

Reactions: cyclone1209

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I guess I look at this a little different. We aren't going to replace McDonald, Rose, Kolar or Purdy. But we will have individual players step in a different way from our current studs or we will see the position group en masse step up.

On the DL bringing back Lee & Singleton should be a solid start in the middle. Zach Petersen coming back would be huge, he has a great motor. IMO he could significantly increase his draft stock coming back for 2022. The staff has also recruited a number of DL in the last 2 classes that hopefully a couple will be ready to step up- Wilson, Suttle, Onyedim, Brown, Peterson and Gray.

Also we could see the LB position group be more active in rushing the QB.
Jayden Gray is for sure one to keep an eye on next season. He had plenty of offers and seems like that natural speed end. I watched a little of Suttle last week, he seems way to upright playing right now, was like standing straight up. Just a limited glimpse so not a huge concern.

I think Blake Peterson could still be really legit, he's a massive man. Then Johnny Wilson to me is a total wildcard, lots of offers, we will see if he can contribute next year. The interior is just rock solid with Lee and Singleton and Howard Brown.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Apparently disagreeing is all it takes to **** on someone?

Because that statement “no drop off from WillMcD” is absolutely ludicrous.

Would it be a drop off if the Cyclones as a team have more QB sacks next year vs. this year?

Last I looked FB is a team sport. So one single player might not exceed McDonald's sack total, but the defense could be better.

• Dumb
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Would it be a drop off if the Cyclones as a team have more QB sacks next year vs. this year?

Last I looked FB is a team sport. So one single player might not exceed McDonald's sack total, but the defense could be better.
That would be as dumb as telling people that Kwame Brown and Kobe Bryant scored 84 points together in a game, so obviously the Lakers were just as good with him as they were with Shaquille O’Neal.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That would be as dumb as telling people that Kwame Brown and Kobe Bryant scored 84 points together in a game, so obviously the Lakers were just as good with him as they were with Shaquille O’Neal.
Your argument is a non-starter. AKA dummies logic.

Only a dummy would think having 2 great scorers means a great team. Using your argument the Houston Rockets with Hardin & Westbrook were one of the greatest teams ever.

Football is a team sport. Will McDonald will be a big loss, but we have enough returning talent on defense to be as good or better in 2022.

• Dumb
Reactions: harimad