As Expected, Marty and Miller...

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
As expected, Marty and Miller are blasting Hobbs. Said he was burned on the play where he made the pick, that he was 3 yards behind the receiver and was lucky the guy missed the catch. Also said he's been overmatched all season long and that he's a horrible CB, and that it showed on PB touchdown.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The way Ellis plays CB, he is prone to give up alot of big plays. He is also prone to make alot of big plays himself. High risk, high reward.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If the Patriots thought Ellis Hobbs was a horrible CB, think they would have put him on their best WR?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He had a good game until that point. If they think he was why NE lost they must have missed NE's Oline play.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Pats win, and they praise Hobbs for holding Burress to fewer catches than his other games.

The other big play against Hobbs was because the WR got away with a hand in Ellis' face.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
M&M is probably just looking to get a rise out the ISU faithful...

Bingo. Another thing I was thinking, which is obvious, is that had NE held on to win, the guy -- can't remember his name -- who was burned on the play where Moss caught the TD would've been called the goat of the game by media types like Peter King, Jim Rome, Marty & Miller, etc.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
CB is the toughest position in the NFL. They run PB on that route to the other side of the field and they probably get a TD either way...

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt. They like to hear themselves talk and sometimes go overboard. If Ellis was a bad CB, he wouldn't be starting for a team like the Patriots.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just call in and give Marty a hard time about the Pats. He's been hyping them all year and he's gotta take some heat finally. Just like he blasts on Drake, what goes around comes around..

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Honestly... he did get beat on the play where he made the pick.

He got badly beat on the most important play of the game. He'll obviously take some heat for that (deserved IMO).

But like others have said, if he was that horrible, the Pats wouldn't have had him out there to begin with.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Quit sounding like such homers here guys. If that was Bob Sanders that got burnt you all would be all over how Sanders cost them the game or what not. Several of you here are quick to point out every Hawk player that does 1 little thing wrong in a game and make a big production out of it then when one of our own has a bad moment you get all defensive.

Yes, Hobbs did not single handedly cost them the game but when they show the highlight of the game winning touchdown 10 years from now, its still going to be #27 Hobbs in the background with Burress catching the ball. You can't sugar coat that at all, he gave up the game winning touchdown and yes it sucks but life goes on.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yes, Hobbs did not single handedly cost them the game but when they show the highlight of the game winning touchdown 10 years from now, its still going to be #27 Hobbs in the background with Burress catching the ball. You can't sugar coat that at all, he gave up the game winning touchdown and yes it sucks but life goes on.

Right. AND he got burnt by one of the NFL's best...who is also 8" taller than Hobbs.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Honestly... he did get beat on the play where he made the pick.

Correct. I love what he did for ISU as much as anyone but let's be honest. He was beaten on that play and he looked like me on the touchdown to Burress.

May have had a solid overall game but those two plays weren't part of it.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
He got beat badly, but he did the right thing. The Pats came with an all-out blitz, and Hobbs tried to take away the inside, the correct move. You just have to give credit to the Giants line for picking it up and Eli and Plax for making a great play.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'm not a DB expert, but with the Patriots doing an all out blitz, one would think that it would have been wise to jam Burress at the line -- especially that close to the endzone.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
He got beat badly, but he did the right thing. The Pats came with an all-out blitz, and Hobbs tried to take away the inside, the correct move. You just have to give credit to the Giants line for picking it up and Eli and Plax for making a great play.
This seems correct to me. He needed to recover better though, too.

Lets give credit where credit is due though, I didn't really have a dog in this fight, and to me this superbowl was about the Giants winning it.....not the Patriots losing it.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Right. AND he got burnt by one of the NFL's best...who is also 8" taller than Hobbs.

Exactly....with a well thrown ball, even if he is in perfect coverage, he will get beat more often than not.

Look at the situation, with that amount of time left, the Giants were going to the endzone every time. Plex is there number 1 (and probably number 2) target in that situation. Granted, there was a blitz, but what about having some safety help? I think Belichek is a helluva coach, but didn't you have to see the jump-ball passes to the 6'4" receiver coming?

Second point...M&M "the critics", if the shoe was on the other foot, they would be screaming about a push-off, or some other phantom penalty....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron