Article slams KF and his thoughts on scoring 8 pts

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
An incredible 18.6% of all college football bets in Vegas were giving the points and taking Wisconsin. Bucky won a lot of money for quite a few people today.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think that going for 3 there was completely crazy. WI was controlling the LOS pretty well, so the 2 point conversion would be pretty hard to make. On the other hand, Iowa did almost nothing all game,so maybe you take the risk at that point in time.

The thing that I really questioned is that WI kicked the ball to King at the end of the game. Why the heck would you do that and not squib the ball or pop it up to the 30? WI survived, but in my book that was easily as questionable as KF kicking the FG.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Well, there are only 2 comments and they're pretty tame, so I'm guessing they deleted a bunch.

Going for the FG when down 14-6 isn't that bad. With that much time left it gives them the opportunity to still get the ball back and a TD would give them the lead, if they had made the FG. Going for it on 4th and getting stuffed gets you nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Neither of Iowa's options were good there.

(A) kick the chip shot field goal, hope to recover the onside, then drive and score/convert the 2-pointer in the last 0:45 or so with the relatively short field after the onside

(B) run a play from the ~3 yard line, hoping to score, go for two and...

-if converting the two, need to recover the onside and get into field goal range to make it

-if not, need to recover the onside and do the second half of Part A

Neither are great. I probably would have gone for the touchdown on fourth down. You're not likely to get down to score again like that so quickly again, though getting into field goal range after a successful onside is not too hard to conceive. Either way, you're going to have to recover an onside kick and convert a two-point conversion to make that into a tie, and then you have a 50-50 shot in overtime. You're probably screwed both ways at similar rates.

Iowa didn't lose for poor game management in the end for this one, even if that is probably frustratingly common for them. They didn't have good options. They lost for the overall game before that. No stupid decision really harmed their chances in the last minute.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
KF is very possibly a top 10 college football coach with the exception of 4th down decisions.

On fourth down I doubt he is a top 4000 football coach in this country, the guy could not be worse on fourth down decisions.

Just no.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Outside of Snyder who consistently does more with less? Not many, definitely not more than a handful. I think he's a fantastic coach except for fourth down decisions where he's almost certainly the worst I've ever seen.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Outside of Snyder who consistently does more with less? Not many, definitely not more than a handful. I think he's a fantastic coach except for fourth down decisions where he's almost certainly the worst I've ever seen.

That's not on the ISU pre-approved propaganda list. Please see HistoricAmes for the lastest version.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Being a top 10 coach and a top 10 coach with doing more with less are two completely different things. You can't punish coaches at big name programs for being good enough to land that type of job

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mike Leach, Chris Peterson, Dan Mullen, David Cutcliffe, Bobby Petrino, Kyle Whittingham all come to mind without really doing any Googling.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Mike Leach, Chris Peterson, Dan Mullen, David Cutcliffe, Bobby Petrino, Kyle Whittingham all come to mind without really doing any Googling.

And that's not including the Saban and Haurbaugh types who are all better as well

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And that's not including the Saban and Haurbaugh types who are all better as well
Yeah I was just trying to think of coaches who probably don't get huge class signings or are second fiddle in their state.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ferentz is a good coach....that's a tough spot, and the question could very well be 'Why not just get a field goal to at least get some points?' if they don't convert.

I like his general philosophy--have strong lines and build from there. Not working out this year...that fanbase is seeing what happens when the opponent makes the plays they didn't a year ago.

• Funny
Reactions: isuforlife