Article on Prentiss and Larry

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Cyched, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 247cy

247cy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Spring Hill, KS
    Ratings:
    +515 / 7 / -0
    Definitely truth to this as Pete Taylor was very often the glue that held things together. They eventually made him an associate athletics director. And LE wasn't the only coach to benefit from Pete in this regard. He was a fixer of sorts and a relationship builder and maintainer.

Pete was a fan who happened to call the games. TV wasn't carrying every game in those days, you almost had to go watch live or tune in on the radio. You could immediately tell how the Cyclones were doing as soon as you heard Pete's voice. He was the friend you'd love to sit and watch a game with, as he had the same level of investment as you. John Walters is great, but even he would tell you he is no Pete Taylor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Joe4Cy

Joe4Cy Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    And Mike Nurse was just fall-out-of-your-chair hilarious. To the point that local news was letting him to do post-game interviews or commentary. For one of the KU games, afterward, he said something like "I knew it was going to be a dog fight, so I brought a comb." Commences to bring out comb and start grooming.

BVD had it out for Larry from their troubled past at Utah St. Once Pete died, it was only a matter of time for LE...

3. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ratings:
    +453 / 6 / -0

Thanks so much..excellent context.

4. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +5,449 / 277 / -7
    How did he capitalize on that success? I forget what his last season was, but guessing there are no banners celebrating that year when he should have had major mojo...

5. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +14,539 / 215 / -1
    I don't recall him doing that for a KU game, but I do recall him saying, "I didn't even comb my hair today because I knew it would be a dogfight." That was after the Elite Eight game in Auburn Hills and Mike wasn't laughing.
    [​IMG]

6. deadeyededric

deadeyededric Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +3,017 / 220 / -8
    Lacked good gaurd play anyway. Seems like they played 3 out 2 in and let the guards penetrate when things went well.

7. Joe4Cy

Joe4Cy Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    Oh! Yeah, that's probably more accurate. Dude was totally funny, to say the least!

• Agree Agree x 1