Arkansas will likely go 0-8 in SEC

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by ForbinsAscynt, Oct 14, 2019.

1. deadeyededric

deadeyededric Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    Ratings:
    +3,772 / 322 / -20
    I realize the big 12 has a better tv deal but the conference only exists because Texas didn't bail out.

2. AuH2O

AuH2O Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2,860 / 75 / -1
    They didn't and UT and OU won't bail until a broader, more drastic realignment occurs. They get to call the shots and make more than they would in the PAC or ACC. Not sure they even make more money in the SEC and Big 10 all things considered.

It was tenuous but its not now. As a result the Big12 is doing much better than the PAC and better than the ACC. In CFB the PAC is a joke and everyone knows it Everyone knows the ACC is Clemson and a bunch of dog crap.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Polk City
    Ratings:
    +560 / 93 / -12
    I say we just keep taking their good players

4. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +8,546 / 801 / -14
    Lol, you’re such a Nebraska goober. The ACC only exists because Clemson hired Dabo, and the Pac 12 because no one wants to poach far away afterthoughts.

Every conference is largely only as good and stable as its top dog.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Scruff

Scruff Active Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Male
    Wealth Advisor
    Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +316 / 7 / -0
    Outside of Clemson, ACC is trash this year. That conference is supported by Clemson and Florida St, but FSU is having a moment after losing Jimbo.

PAC doesn't appear supported by anyone. ESPN is clinging to the hope that Oregon won't lose again so that they can put them in the conversation.

Back when the Big12 didn't expand or extend the grant of rights, I thought we were in trouble. Not anymore! Texas and OU are making bank and I see no reason why either one would want to leave. As long as we have those two, we have a power conference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +17,024 / 259 / -2
    Also don't forget a certain millionaire NFL owner with a franchise in the heart of Big 12 country who just happened to captain an Arkansas national championship football team.
    [​IMG]

7. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +17,468 / 1,048 / -2
    NFL owners are pretty much billionaires by definition.

8. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +17,024 / 259 / -2
    Yeah, sorry, I meant billionaire, not millionaire. I guess I'm showing my age since when I grew up being a millionaire meant something.

9. wclarson

wclarson Active Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +470 / 20 / -0
    This is where I fire up the old PS3 and NCAA Football and boot Baylor to the Sunbelt and WVU over to the ACC. All is just in a pre-Ed O-Bannon NCAA football world!

10. Bipolarcy

Bipolarcy Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Ratings:
    +588 / 73 / -3
    The biggest problem was the AD's moronic decision to hire an interim head coach when Petrino was fired. That not only cost them the current recruiting class that Petrino was working on, but also cost them next year's. What recruit in their right mind wants to sign on with a coach with interim in front of his name? It didn't help that interim coach John L. Smith went 4-8 that year with a Petrino team that was expected to compete for the SEC West title. That cost them even more recruits. They are still recovering from that fiasco. Not many teams can afford to basically lose 2 recruiting classes in a row. That decision eventually was one of the blunders that cost AD Long his job and he's now at Kansas. They can have him.

Subsequent idiotic coaching hires haven't helped. Bielema (a Long hire) came in with the idea to out-Alabama Alabama, employing a strategy that depended on establishing a dominant OL, a dynamic run game and a stout defense, a strategy that worked well in the Big 10, that he could never quite pull off in the SEC. He should have done just the opposite and employed a spread offense, like Petrino did, but he didn't know how. And this idiot they have now looks confused on the sidelines all the time. I don't see how a guy can come in professing to have the answers and look so confused.

The current AD was pissed as hell during the Kentucky game. He cut across the field while the game was still going on (could have drawn a flag for that) and stormed into the locker room, he was so upset. Their current coach had no answer for a third-string QB, who wasn't even a QB, but a converted WR who rushed for nearly 200 yards against them. He never adjusted during the game, and in fact knew beforehand that the WR was a good possibility to start at QB because the original starter was injured before the season started and the backup was injured the week before. He never game planned for the WR to run the offense, never employed a "spy" to shadow the WR, and never adjusted the whole game.

The result of the game also caused one of their prized recruits for next year to decommit, following another highly regarded recruit who decommited.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. DFWClone

DFWClone Active Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Ratings:
    +446 / 46 / -3
    I’d take Arkansas in the Big12 in a heart beat.

I would also love to see Mizzou get the death penalty and never play sports at a division 1 level again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +3,745 / 198 / -0
    Yep, Tubby left that program in fine shape.

13. ForbinsAscynt

ForbinsAscynt Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,848 / 163 / -0
    this is some great insight. Do you follow the hogs or just watch a ton of cfb?

14. SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,514 / 123 / -10
    UT and OU did not bail, as you say, because they have a better deal in the Big 12, than they could get anywhere else, and that is why they both will stay.

In the Big 12, they are in the middle of the footprint, the Big Dog schools that get to call their shoots, they run the conference. Leave and your travel increases, and none of the other Big Dogs in the other conferences are going to bow down to either one.

The money is keeping both schools in the top 10, Texas lead the whole thing, they both have a clear path to the final four in football, why would they leave all of that to put up with Ohio St, and Michigan or Alabama and LSU?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bipolarcy

Bipolarcy Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Ratings:
    +588 / 73 / -3
    I'm force fed more Hog than I care to consume. I live in Arkansas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. laminak

laminak Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Marion
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 90 / -1
    BYU was the rumored 12th team at that time. The pull for Baylor wasn't just Gov Richards, her Lt Gov was the main force behind them. He was also a Baylor grad and so were a lot of Texas politicians at that time.

17. VTXCyRyD

VTXCyRyD Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,323 / 42 / -1
    I still hate how Paul Rhoads couldn't figure out how to run the clock out when everyone else could.

18. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +3,745 / 198 / -0
    I know what you're going through as I lived there for ten years. With Hawg fans believing they are a blue blood it must be interesting times in WhooPigSooie land.