• Yes

Votes: 451 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 137 23.3%

• Total voters

ACAsteve

Dec 15, 2008
Ankeny
Jaime & Rhodes will both be gone in 3 years.
Get used to the basement cause that's where we will be the next 3 years.
We hire an unemployed DC will no HC experience at any level?
No way anybody TRUTHFULLY gets excited about this pick.
Wish him luck cause he is going to need alot of it.

Reactions: cyclonedcm

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Exactly. That's what I was wondering. Can this guy recruit? We need a good recruiter to pull some players from Iowa and the other Big 12/10 schools.

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread, but I would love nothing better than if Rhoads would "pull a Chizik" and contact several of the recruits he was involved with at Auburn and pull them away from Gene......revenge is a dish best served cold!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm genuinely excited! As jumbopackage wrote, "you don't always get what you want, sometimes you get what you need." (Sorry, I would've quoted better, but it's back a page:wink:)

This guy is good, and he's solid. That's what we likely needed right now.

Sounds like he's keeping the team together, so that should be seen as a very good thing.

If he gets a couple of good coordinators, watch out!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good article on Rhoads:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/122293530720900.xml&coll=2
"AUBURN -- Tony Franklin saw Paul Rhoads enter the interview room the other day and promptly pointed reporters to the real story of Auburn's season.

"Y'all need to go talk to the good football coach over there and leave me alone," Franklin said in his usual self-deprecating way.

While a lot of Auburn fans and the media remain obsessed with Franklin, the offensive coordinator, the story of the football team continues to be the job done by Rhoads, the defensive coordinator. The top-10 nationally ranked defense he inherited from Will Muschamp continues to be one of the nation's best. Similarly, the statistically-impaired offense Franklin inherited from Al Borges is struggling along.

Auburn's offense has put Rhoads in difficult situations, though he says he's hardly noticed and his tough-minded focus suggests he hardly has. The perfect example was last Saturday's 14-12 victory over Tennessee. The Vols started their second-half drives on their own 35, the Auburn 44, the Auburn 37, the Auburn 38, the Tennessee 42, the Auburn 46 and the Tennessee 46 - and scored just six points.

The difficult situation was hardly new for Rhoads. The Tigers' three SEC opponents have started 10 second-half drives between their own 45 and the Auburn 37. Despite the relative closeness to points, and with so much riding on every play, Auburn allowed only two of those drives to score.

The ultimate test to those facts was Tennessee and its superior field position. With no room for Auburn defensive error - and with the Auburn offense starting its drives way back on its own 13 - Tennessee mustered only three first downs in the second half, one of those coming on a penalty. With the game on the line, the Vols went three-and-out four times in the fourth quarter.

Auburn's defense had come to the rescue again.

"The strange thing about it is it hasn't felt that way at all," Rhoads said. "It's just their turn to go on the field and do their job."

Rhoads is a team guy first. He never says his defense has carried the load, though Franklin has said it a bunch of times for both of them.

"If you go back to the first two or three football games, our field position as a defense was exceptional," Rhoads said, diplomatically. "

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Keep in mind that Paul Rhodes was likely not even near the top of the list when this job came open...It's quite likely that many people declined to even be interviewed...whether we like it or not the ISU job is seen as one of the most difficult in the country...for good reason...it is very difficult for me to criticize JP without knowing all of the facts...if a more qualified person wanted the job and they were passed over I might be upset but we will never know. Our job now is to get behind the Coach Rhodes and the players 100%. anything else would be unthinkable.

CPR inquired of the vacancy as soon as it came open and he knew all ties at Auburn were severed. Didn't like how the AD lied to the team saying Tuberville "resigned." Its apparant JP liked what he saw/heard when contact was made.

All the other names out there where just smokescreen, internet fodder and media hype. You know, so guys like Jon Miller can "tell us like it really is."

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Another ******* coordinator sweet :no:

We are Iowa State and we can't get ****, face it people we had no chance at the names everyone wanted.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Jaime & Rhodes will both be gone in 3 years.
Get used to the basement cause that's where we will be the next 3 years.
We hire an unemployed DC will no HC experience at any level?
No way anybody TRUTHFULLY gets excited about this pick.
Wish him luck cause he is going to need alot of it.

I want your crystal ball!

Way to give the future a chance.:no:

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I like the hire. Some people will be upset because we didn't bring in a huge name but I like it. We got the best combination of ISU ties while still having some charisma and recruiting ability. Essentially, we got a mix between an ISU faithful like Steve Loney and a more exciting hire like Turner Gill. We got a guy who came in and settled the players down, that was huge. With all the hype about his recruiting, I want to see what he can do in Ames. Perhaps some of the Auburn recruits that are wavering after the hire of Gene Shitstick would like to come up to Ames? We'll see. I really like this quote from Darks also.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry I didn't put the quote in.

“I had already made my mind up that I was staying,” said Darks, who a week earlier indicated on his Facebook page online that he might leave. “Not only did I have a good season, I could potentially be one of the best receivers to come out of Iowa State.

I like the "I want to be the best" attitude.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Sorry I didn't put the quote in.

“I had already made my mind up that I was staying,â€￾ said Darks, who a week earlier indicated on his Facebook page online that he might leave. “Not only did I have a good season, I could potentially be one of the best receivers to come out of Iowa State.

I like the "I want to be the best" attitude.

I like the "I want to be the best AS A CYCLONE attitude! :yes:

cy2win

May 15, 2006
Rock solid. Of course it's not the prettiest horse in the race, the Iowa State horse never is. But he is a hard worker and at the end of the day will have kicked eveyone's ***. That's how we roll at Iowa State.

My only visibility to the guy was the cutaway shots of him during our Insight.com bowl game with Pitt. I like what I remembered seeing.

Congratulations Jamie and Paul.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Dangerous hire for Pollard. I don't hate it but I certainly don't like it. The timing doesn't seem right. We just had a rookie head coach who was a great defensive coordinator. It seemed like we needed to get a guy with head coaching experience in here, regardless of age or his locational ties. I do think Rhoads will be able to keep the majority of our guys from transfering, so that's a plus.

I'm assuming some of our top targets turned us down and we landed on Rhoads as insurance. Better him than Farley or Loney IMO. Not a sexy hire by any stretch, though.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
This was just a "safe" hire. Nice midwestern guy, some big program coordinator experience, knows Ames. When I saw the news, it was an underwhelming -"OK".

One big positive- we did not end up with another Hawkeye.

I just hope he can hire an OC who can score 50 points a game.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I guess I'm a little disappointed after looking at the defensive numbers from Pitt.

From 2003-2007 Pitt defense. Points allowed - Finished 3rd in the Big East once, 4th twice and 6th twice. Yardage allowed - Finished 2nd in the league once, 5th twice and 7th twice.

Doesn't look like a defense that was dominating the league.

nklotz85

Jan 22, 2008
Who cares if we didn't get a big name? Chizik was supposedly a big name. Let's see what this guy can do. He has a better idea of what Iowa State has and doesn't need top talent or speed to have a good team, like Chizik needs. I actually feel more comfortable with this hire than the last one although I did buy into it last year. This year however was different in that the coaches were making poor decisions or lacked decision making in every game this year. Go Cyclones!

ISUDiz13

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Solid hire. one of the immediate names that came to mind when we were finally rid of Chizik. I'm looking forward to the presser tonight. Did anyone else feel like Jamie tried to inject false excitement in the fan base with the way Chizik was introduced (smoke, helmet, etc). It always just felt Jamie tried hard to sell Chiz to us because he was unsure how the marriage would work. I love how this search was conducted, and I love how he's being introduced. Jamie obviously feels confident in this hire and for good reason. We don't need the smoke and mirrors party introduction, let's just let Paul come in here, do his work, and support him as Cyclone faithful.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron