Are you excited about the hire

• Yes

Votes: 451 76.7%
  • No

Votes: 137 23.3%

• Total voters

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
HOW do you know that Rhoads is not the best coach out there for ISU. To be honest, he is only 41 years old and has been a Coordinator at two different BCS schools for 8-9 years. If we didn't take him, he was eventually going to be a HC somewhere. I had heard his name surface back when Chizik was hired that Rhoads was actually someone we should have considered back then. But in order to replace Mac we needed more splash. No offense to Mac, but it seemed that we had hit the wall. Chizik brought in some pretty good talent. If Rhoads can coach and recruit then we will be in better shape than under Chizik. Chizik had a lot of problems in coaching as the HC. We lost 3 games this year we should have won and that doesn't even include the Iowa game where we could have won also.

The biggest problem with this hire is the "IF"..."If Rhoads can coach and recruit"...because he has never been a head coach we just don't know. I really wanted an experienced HC.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
The biggest problem with this hire is the "IF"..."If Rhoads can coach and recruit"...because he has never been a head coach we just don't know. I really wanted an experienced HC.

The head coach doesnt do much recruiting. Hopefully his assistants can recruit and HC Rhoads seals the deal.

I just hope Rhoads can coach.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
He is a great coach! Give him a chance, at least he's not the Hawkeye that a lot of you were worried about. He's not from the South, so you don't have to worry about him bailing on us, which is what a lot of you worried about. He has worked on rebuilding programs and on 5* talented teams. AND he's from Ankeny, maybe now Albaugh gets out the checkbook and bowls in the South endzone.
Hey, if you don't want to lose all of the prospects and current studs, get behind this guy quickly or say adios to those guys...

Go Cyclones!!! Welcome home Paul!

Exactly what I thought....I think there are a couple ties that help!

Z

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Young, energetic, great defensive mind.

He's Gene Chizik without the splash.

I think he will do well

What if we said it this way: He's what Gene Chizik was supposed to be.

From JonDMiller's post, Tuberville kept trying to bring him to Auburn, and in fact, before bringing Chizik along. So, he just might be what we thought Chizik was, except thought of more highly, but with less hardware/fanfare to his name.

Sometimes, all that fanfare obscures who really does the job. We'd all think that at our own jobs. Just might be the case here.

Reactions: clonefarmer

H2O4ISU

Aug 14, 2007
Many of you (including a part of me) won't find much solice in the fact that Paul is highly regarded in the coaching profession. He should be able to assemble a top notch coaching staff...blah, blah, blah...I know, I know, it sounds so very familiar.

But, it's not. For those of you who know Paul, he's already working magic for us behind the scenes. He knows top level college football (first priority), and better yet, he REALLY is a great guy! And, as hard of this is for some to believe...he really wants to be here! And, if he is successful this is going to be WILD in Ames, IA.

I know this hire is not sexy. It won't come with national media excitement. Or local, for that matter! Many of the faithful will be left scratching our heads, looking at Jamie like he's the weird cousin at the holiday gathering and finding it difficult to create a sincere smile when thinking of ISU football right now.

However, I CHOOSE a different attitude. We have some good football talent sitting in Ames, IA. We have a good football mind at the helm (that REALLY wants to be here!) and the great fans. Jamie knew what he had to do, for his career is on the line, too.

Solid Hire! Nice Job, Jamie! Welcome Back Coach Rhoads!

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I think we were getting a little bit far from reality with some of our wishful thinking - making this seem somewhat of a plain hire. But after thinking about it, I think this is an excellent hire. Seriously, how many on here were clammoring for someone with 'ties'? Well, here he is! No HC experience is the only real downside. I think a lot will be determined by the choices of coordinators - such a critical function in today's game.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Ill support him, but Im not excited. This team needs someone with HC experience, Im somewhat worried this is going to play out badly.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I will support PR no matter what. However, at this point I see this hire as being very similar to the DMac hire. Probably an improvement over what we had in coaching, but potentially a step back in recruiting. We may see a bowl game or two, but nothing more than a seven win season (sounds pretty good from 2-10).

I hope I am wrong.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Many of you (including a part of me) won't find much solice in the fact that Paul is highly regarded in the coaching profession. He should be able to assemble a top notch coaching staff...blah, blah, blah...I know, I know, it sounds so very familiar.

But, it's not. For those of you who know Paul, he's already working magic for us behind the scenes. He knows top level college football (first priority), and better yet, he REALLY is a great guy! And, as hard of this is for some to believe...he really wants to be here! And, if he is successful this is going to be WILD in Ames, IA.

I know this hire is not sexy. It won't come with national media excitement. Or local, for that matter! Many of the faithful will be left scratching our heads, looking at Jamie like he's the weird cousin at the holiday gathering and finding it difficult to create a sincere smile when thinking of ISU football right now.

However, I CHOOSE a different attitude. We have some good football talent sitting in Ames, IA. We have a good football mind at the helm (that REALLY wants to be here!) and the great fans. Jamie knew what he had to do, for his career is on the line, too.

Solid Hire! Nice Job, Jamie! Welcome Back Coach Rhoads!

Only 15 posts..where have you been? Keep it coming!!!!

Welcome to CF

Z

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I've been trying to see what they have meant by that he is a great recuriter I looked through all of the years that coached and there is no big names there and I did not find anything over a 3 star recurit. This really has me worried. I will support Paul and ISU , alwasy have and always will but. And I know that He will be more like Dan Mac, but all we are going to have is more of the same here I'm afaid. Take a look for yourself, if anyone has a source out there that can make me feel better about this please let me know. Here is mine source it's free to look at, http://auburn.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2009&Sport=1&Coach=380

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I can live with this!!! Let's go cyclones! Can't wait for spring ball.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
my only comment on the guy. You wanted one that will stick around, here he is. Atleast until the job is done, or he will die trying.

To me, the Coordinators will be HUGE in this......

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
NOBODY knows if this was a good hire or not...and we won't know for quite a while...same as if we would've hired Marty Fine or Urban Meyer...time will tell what Rhoads can do for Iowa State...Coach Rhoads has my full support and I'm not gonna sit and rip on the hire before he does anything to show it wasn't a good hire.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I can live with this!!! Let's go cyclones! Can't wait for spring ball.

I can live with it two and am anxious to see what he can do at the helm of a football program, you have to if you are a Cyclone fan.

That doesn't mean I am excited about it. Barnett would be excitement, Tubberville, Bowden = Excitement.

By the way are you the Assistant Regional Manager or the Assistant TO the regional manager?

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
NOBODY knows if this was a good hire or not...and we won't know for quite a while...same as if we would've hired Marty Fine or Urban Meyer...time will tell what Rhoads can do for Iowa State...Coach Rhoads has my full support and I'm not gonna sit and rip on the hire before he does anything to show it wasn't a good hire.

Urban Meyer has kind of proven that he can coach. Usually when you win a National Championship no one questions that.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
He's proven he can coach...and I'd be thrilled if he came to ISU-but it's no guarantee he'd win at ISU.

sweaty7

Nov 8, 2008
Charlottesville, VA
Excited? No.
Happy? Sort of.

I dunno, I guess I bought into the hype & had hopes of someone that was a proven head coach. Yeah, he sounds similar to Chizik in a number of ways & I was really excited then. I guess the last two years made me want someone more established.

As far as the local connections, I've always thought that was incredibly overrated. Quite frankly, I don't care if the guy has a stupid Tigerhawk tattoo on his forehead. Anyone egotistical enough to be a head coach at a Div 1 school is not going to let any loyalties to the team he followed as a kid get in the way of his chance at personal success. Besides, I think the Rich Rodriguez situation has made it clear that local ties ain't all they're cracked up to be.

The coordinators will be huge for recruiting purposes. I don't think Rhoads' thin track record at getting in top recruits necessarily means they won't come. Under Callahan, John Blake was the one that got all the offensive talent to go to Nebraska.

So, I guess I'd say this is a good hire with the potential to be great. However, I definitely wouldn't say I'm excited right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron