Are we KU's major conference rival?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
Did not look up Self's record against anyone other than us, but against us, through this regular season, he is 25-7. In Big 12 play, we are 3-2 so far. (sorry should have been basketball)

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ISU is 6-6 vs them in the last 12 I would say yes. Their fans are starting to dislike ISU more and more which means a rivalry.

Last night leaving the game I heard a few different KU fans say "they are much more athletic than us," "they have much better shooters than us," "we were lucky to win tonight".

And they were right on all counts :)

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Absolutely.

Obviously K-State is an in-state rival to them, but in recent history we have been the program that has been able to compete with them the most consistently. The fact that we take over KC for a week in March in their backyard adds to the rivalry as well.

There have been some great ISU-KU games over the last 6 years. This is a match-up that both fan bases look forward to.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I went to the Iowa State-Kansas Big Monday game down in Lawrence in 2015 (BDJ year) and I came away incredibly impressed with that atmosphere. And the fans that sat around us were actually very friendly and welcoming.

The Phog is definitely a bucket list place for any college basketball fan. I can't imagine there's a better atmosphere in the sport.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
In basketball? We're the closest thing they have to a rival with Mizzou gone. I'm not sure there's another school that's even close. As many have pointed out, it's a back and forth series, and the way we show up in KC definitely adds to it. The 2015 Big 12 title game was the craziest sports atmosphere I've ever seen, and it's because each fanbase badly wanted to crush the other.

In football? It's probably K-State, and I think at this point K-State looks at us as more of a rival than they do KU.