Are we close?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
From what I read about Gilstrap I think that he's the guy that can help us win... defenses will have to stop collapsing on Brackins. I think Colvin will start right away. I have'nt seen enough of Buckley to know what he can bring.

quote]

Kind of sums up the whole thing. We will either win next year or we won't. I'll tell you 12 months from now.

I think most on here are solidly in one of 2 camps - either pro Morgan or pro McDermott. I am neither. I donated $ to the Cyclone club for the 1st time the day Pollard let Morgan go. Something he had to do. With that, I was not too pleased with the hiring of McDermott. Still not.

What do we currently lack as a team? Most glaring a point guard. DG has shown moments, but far too inconsistent. Can't drive and finish, and doesn't run the team well. Why do you think Petey gets so many minutes? I didn't watch or listen to the game last week, but checked out the thread on here. One post said Double Double for DG. My 1st thought - wow thats a lot of turnovers.

The other main thing we are missing is a slasher/athlete at the 3. If ifs and buts were.... I would really like to see how much different this team would be with Wesley Johnson. Now as to why he transferred that is up for discussion, but McDermott thought he had that piece in place.

Will Colvin and Gilstrap be the missing pieces? Only time will tell...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think most on here are solidly in one of 2 camps - either pro Morgan or pro McDermott.

I think you're massively oversimplifying things. I was okay with Pollard letting him go. I only defend Morgan when people rip him for what I consider to be no reason. I really don't think there are a lot of people who are pro-Morgan, I just think that people are starting to realize things weren't so bad under him.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
IMO if you put a healthy Wesley Johnson on this team they would be in middle of the confernece. We need 1-2 more guys who can create their won shot. I'm disappointed but I don't think wer are that far off. I'm more worreid aobut keeping a positive attitiude on the team than anything else.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Cydkar, you got it. I don't care who the coach is. Whether it's Orr, Morgan, Eustachy, McDermott, or Brittany Spears, I just want to win.

All I can tell you is that so far, in 3 years, McD has not done that. In 3 years, we have beat 1 ranked team, Purdue. We have a conference record of 11-29. Year One, 6 conference wins, Year Two - 4 conference wins, Year 3 - 1 conference win. As another poster pointed out, we are getting beat by an average of 10 points a game in conference games, one of the all time biggest losing margins in Big 12 history. Yet so many of you think we are 1 player away? You think if Wes Johnson was here we would be like 7-1 right now in the conference? This team is very poor in almost every area. Basic fundamentals like help defense, rebounding, shooting, etc. are plainly not there. Are we close? I don't even think we are in the ballpark.

So here comes the next part.... the excuse. "We are young!" "We are learning the system!" Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Everyone thinks that next years team will be so improved, we have new talent coming in. As another poster pointed out, the freshman/newcomers on this team can't make a difference this year. What makes you think the freshman next year will save this team, and get us to the NCAA Tournament? I continually hear that freshman can not come in and make a team better right away. What makes you think that they will next year?

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
IMO if you put a healthy Wesley Johnson on this team they would be in middle of the confernece. We need 1-2 more guys who can create their won shot. I'm disappointed but I don't think wer are that far off. I'm more worreid aobut keeping a positive attitiude on the team than anything else.

Boy do I disagree with this. Wesley was not a good defender. Our team defense would be just as bad this year with him on the team, and that is a major short coming.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As Bill Parcells once said, "you are what your record says you are" and it's not good.

And just to add to that a little..."look at what the stats say about you". The conferenece offensive stats are pretty damning. If these new players result in an offensive game plan next year that relies less on long range shooting, there may be hope for next year. If not...get used to the view from the bottom...

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
AT isn't good. I don't care if Duke recruited him. Who did we beat for Mann, Boozer, and Eick? DG has a lot of promise as does Ham. I don't know about Buckley. I hope so. I think LA, Christopherson, Gilstrap, and Colvin will help but the recruiting has been weak until very recently.

Clinton Mann was a 3 star recruit on rivals. ISU, Iowa, Creighton, Davidson, and Loyola-Chicago all offered.

Charles Boozer was a 2 star. He was offered by ISU, Illinois-Chicago, Lamar, Pepperdine

Eik was a 3 star. He was being recruited by ISU, Nebraska, UNI, Gonzaga, and Wichita State

Alex Thompson coming out of high school was a 3 star and was offered by Wisconsin and Iowa.

Dominique Buckley was a 3 star. He was offered by ISU and Xavier

Justin Hamilton was a 3 star as well. He was offered by ISU, Pepperdine, Saint Mary's, Cal Poly, Weber State, and UC-Davis

DG was a 3 star also. He was offered by ISU, UNLV, Wisconsin-Green Bay, and Clemson

Brackins was 5 star. Offered by ISU, PItt, Clemson, Illinois, Indiana

Lucca was 3 star. Offered by ISU, Wazzu, South Florida

LA Pomlee - 3 star. Offered by ISU, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Maybe guys haven't live up to your expectations but most of them were offered by some respectible programs. An exception would by Boozer, but he's working hard and I don't mind the role he's filling right now.

If we weren't recruiting some of these guys, other schools would've signed them. It wasn't like they were JUCO bound and then we picked them up... Sometimes people are wrong, and sometimes you just have to wait for guys to develop (which is likely the case with most of these guys)...

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I think if we just greatly improve our athleticism, things will change. We have some shooters, we have a few post players. The things we can not do that really hamper our ability right now are: offensive rebounding, dribble penetration, athleticism (which causes us to play passive defensively & limits our offensive rebounding) That sounds simple enough....but we looked like the jv playing the varsity in terms of athleticism against Mizzou.

Reactions: Wesley

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Cydkar, you got it. I don't care who the coach is. Whether it's Orr, Morgan, Eustachy, McDermott, or Brittany Spears, I just want to win.

All I can tell you is that so far, in 3 years, McD has not done that. In 3 years, we have beat 1 ranked team, Purdue. We have a conference record of 11-29. Year One, 6 conference wins, Year Two - 4 conference wins, Year 3 - 1 conference win. As another poster pointed out, we are getting beat by an average of 10 points a game in conference games, one of the all time biggest losing margins in Big 12 history. Yet so many of you think we are 1 player away? You think if Wes Johnson was here we would be like 7-1 right now in the conference? This team is very poor in almost every area. Basic fundamentals like help defense, rebounding, shooting, etc. are plainly not there. Are we close? I don't even think we are in the ballpark.

So here comes the next part.... the excuse. "We are young!" "We are learning the system!" Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Everyone thinks that next years team will be so improved, we have new talent coming in. As another poster pointed out, the freshman/newcomers on this team can't make a difference this year. What makes you think the freshman next year will save this team, and get us to the NCAA Tournament? I continually hear that freshman can not come in and make a team better right away. What makes you think that they will next year?

Look at the players that returned from last year, they all improved except maybe 1-2. Peterson-Improved, Garrett-Improved, Boozer-Improved, Haluska-Same, Brackins-Improved, Thompson-Same. We have 7 guys that came in this year. Just about everyone of them will improve if not all of them. The players coming in next year, by the way, have way more hype around them than anyone that came in this class. Gilstrap will odds are start for us...thats going to make a difference and Colvin will be a solid back up that will allow our pgs to push it more since we have more depth.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
If we are close then they would shore up their elementary mistakes they make game in and game out. So are we close? My gut says no right now, but that could change yet this season with I think a line up change.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Look at the players that returned from last year, they all improved except maybe 1-2. Peterson-Improved, Garrett-Improved, Boozer-Improved, Haluska-Same, Brackins-Improved, Thompson-Same. We have 7 guys that came in this year. Just about everyone of them will improve if not all of them. The players coming in next year, by the way, have way more hype around them than anyone that came in this class. Gilstrap will odds are start for us...thats going to make a difference and Colvin will be a solid back up that will allow our pgs to push it more since we have more depth.

You failed to count what you lost last year which apparently was more than what these players improved. BP has improved the most.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
You failed to count what you lost last year which apparently was more than what these players improved. BP has improved the most.
I didn't say anything about who we lost. We can't build better players for the program that aren't with the program. I'm just saying the guys that did return, for the most part, improved quite a bit.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Not close, and I've learned to not assume that people will get better from year to year.

We'll just have to wait and see. But our performance this year is a reasonable baseline measurement.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I didn't say anything about who we lost. We can't build better players for the program that aren't with the program. I'm just saying the guys that did return, for the most part, improved quite a bit.

And I am saying they did not improve enough to replce our lost seniors. We are a worse team this year based on our performance.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
We are not close. Even with the players we have right now, we shouldn't be losing to the likes of Hawaii, Drake, SDSU, Colorado...etc.

Hope things get well for us this year, and we have a better offensive scheme in plan.