Are there any players on your team this year that you believe would belong on ISU's all-time roster? (Crosspost from reddit)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That’s a much shorter list. These are guys that would start their senior year anywhere in that time frame in my opinion: Purdy, Hall, Troy Davis, DMont, Lazard, Hakeem, Kolar, Osemele, Will McDonald, Klein, Rose, Hobbs, Tampa

I'm not sure if all of these start on like OU's best stretches, Bama, etc. Definitely in the two deep though.

I'd almost take freshman Rose before senior year.

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
OL - Nelson is a clear choice; failing to include Bruce Reimers and Gene Williams and Tom Randall shows bad recency bias - should also include Oliver Ross based on NFL career;
TE - Dan Johnson, Mike Busch and Mike Banks (all pro careers - Busch just happened to be in baseball despite being drafted in the NFL) before any except Krepfle and Kolar;
QB - David Archer would be on the list (he and Sage 3rd string)
WR - Jim Doran - 10 yrs in NFL; Otto Stowe (played for Dolphins in Super Bowl and had he played in this era would have been X with better speed) and Ike Harris;
RB - would also put Blaise Bryant, Joe Henderson and Darren Davis in consideration if we are doing an 85 man roster (good to have 5-6 on a college roster)
DL - James Reed, Kenny Neill and Chris Boskey (and as already mentioned Reggie Hayward and Mike Stensrud);
LB - In addition to Washington,Gibson and Braswell, Merv Krakau and Tim Dobbins deserve consideration
DB - list is pretty food once Robertson and Hill were included - Larry Crawford also had a very good career in the CFL.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did I miss any mention of Dexter Green at RB? Not over Hall, T. Davis, probably not over Montgomery, but certainly upper echelon.

The list gets pretty long at running back now that Breece/TD are 1A/1B.

I just did a little deep dive and Green played 4 years but only 29 carries as a freshman barely playing...and in the 11 game era. Breece is way out in front on TDs (still a lot even when you factor in 12 game schedule), but in other stats Green isn't really that far back from Davis and Breece. Darren Davis is higher than most would think as well and he was key in actually turning around the program with Mac.

I think our fans understandably rank Montgomery so high because he ran so hard and never fumbled (other than a blown call that was actually a touchdown).

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Moses is pretty clearly the best slot receiver IMO.

Other names I haven't seen worth mention.

Amundsen QB/RB
Allen TE
Kartsen DT
Parris S
Berryman DE
Moser S
Reeves CB
Cotton-Moya S
McDonough DT

Based on what? Deshaunte Jones had a better career at ISU and his best year was better than JJs.

JJ was “the guy” on that 2000 team, Deshaunte was never “the guy” most of his career and still put up better numbers as the number 2.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The list gets pretty long at running back now that Breece/TD are 1A/1B.

I just did a little deep dive and Green played 4 years but only 29 carries as a freshman barely playing...and in the 11 game era. Breece is way out in front on TDs (still a lot even when you factor in 12 game schedule), but in other stats Green isn't really that far back from Davis and Breece. Darren Davis is higher than most would think as well and he was key in actually turning around the program with Mac.

I think our fans understandably rank Montgomery so high because he ran so hard and never fumbled (other than a blown call that was actually a touchdown).
David was the reason that team turned around. More than just his play on the field. He also has more time in the league than of those other backs.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
TJ Tampa might be a first round draft pick. I am not sure Hobbs and Johnson were better.
That’s why it is hard to compare, because people are giving weight to NFL careers that TJ hasn’t had a chance to have yet.

I think TJ is definitely in the all time conversation, and might end up being the best pro we’ve had at that position

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
David was the reason that team turned around. More than just his play on the field. He also has more time in the league than of those other backs.

Yeah I agree, if you watched him he was just a force, still is. Look at what he’s doing mid to late career in the NFL once he’s not on the worst offensive franchise in the NFL.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we’re taking the standard 2 corners, im taking Ellis Hobbs and Leonard Johnson 10/10 times over T.J. Tampa and that’s no slight on Tampa. Those two were better corners and both were 4 year starters.

What is the polar opposite of “recency bias”?

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I don’t agree with some of these, and that’s mostly personal preference, but EJ Bibbs shouldn’t even sniff this list. We had 3 tight ends on the 2020 team alone that were better than him. I would put Bibbs and Easton Dean the same plane, and Easton isn’t coming close to the all time roster either.
TE has to include consensus all-American in Mike Busch

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I don’t agree with some of these, and that’s mostly personal preference, but EJ Bibbs shouldn’t even sniff this list. We had 3 tight ends on the 2020 team alone that were better than him. I would put Bibbs and Easton Dean the same plane, and Easton isn’t coming close to the all time roster either.
Mike Busch was a pretty good TE too

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Don't think I saw his name yet. Dennis Gibson should be in the conversation for LB's
I feel like Dennis Gibson was better as a pro than in college. He was very good in college but he turned out to be a better pro than anybody expected.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
OL - Nelson is a clear choice; failing to include Bruce Reimers and Gene Williams and Tom Randall shows bad recency bias - should also include Oliver Ross based on NFL career;
TE - Dan Johnson, Mike Busch and Mike Banks (all pro careers - Busch just happened to be in baseball despite being drafted in the NFL) before any except Krepfle and Kolar;
QB - David Archer would be on the list (he and Sage 3rd string)
WR - Jim Doran - 10 yrs in NFL; Otto Stowe (played for Dolphins in Super Bowl and had he played in this era would have been X with better speed) and Ike Harris;
RB - would also put Blaise Bryant, Joe Henderson and Darren Davis in consideration if we are doing an 85 man roster (good to have 5-6 on a college roster)
DL - James Reed, Kenny Neill and Chris Boskey (and as already mentioned Reggie Hayward and Mike Stensrud);
LB - In addition to Washington,Gibson and Braswell, Merv Krakau and Tim Dobbins deserve consideration
DB - list is pretty food once Robertson and Hill were included - Larry Crawford also had a very good career in the CFL.
I don't think Dan Johnson was a great college tight end. Like Gibson, he was better as a pro. Bruce Reimers does certainly belong on the o-line. That was a good one. Maybe, Gene too, but he was a little inconsistent. Really fun guy though. Mike Busch was s terrific tight end and probably should have pursued football instead of baseball but baseball is certainly easier on your body.

At RB, Dwayne Crutchfield should be included if it went 5-6 deep. T Davis, Hall, Montgomery, Green, Crutchfield is probably my top 5 at RB. I could be argued out of Crutchfield for Bryant, Henderson, or D Davis.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I don't think Dan Johnson was a great college tight end. Like Gibson, he was better as a pro. Bruce Reimers does certainly belong on the o-line. That was a good one. Maybe, Gene too, but he was a little inconsistent. Really fun guy though. Mike Busch was s terrific tight end and probably should have pursued football instead of baseball but baseball is certainly easier on your body.

At RB, Dwayne Crutchfield should be included if it went 5-6 deep. T Davis, Hall, Montgomery, Green, Crutchfield is probably my top 5 at RB. I could be argued out of Crutchfield for Bryant, Henderson, or D Davis.
Ennis Haywood?

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
He obviously had issues off the field, but I feel like Jason Berryman was one of the most dominant DL we’ve ever had.

He was one of the guys from the Mac era that clearly belonged on the field with the “big boys.”