Apple's AirTags

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
The next big thing to make Apple even richer. I am going to order a pack of 4. I will put one on my bicycle. I had a bike stolen a few months ago, and if these AirTags had been out then, I almost certainly could have gotten it back.

It is clever the way they are designed. Apple is leveraging so many people having iPhones, and that iPhones are kept up-to-date far more than Android phones. Google simply can't compete with it. Even if they released a similar product, there is no way they could get the requisite software running on anything more than 1% of Android phones, which means the whole system would not work.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The next big thing to make Apple even richer. I am going to order a pack of 4. I will put one on my bicycle. I had a bike stolen a few months ago, and if these AirTags had been out then, I almost certainly could have gotten it back.

It is clever the way they are designed. Apple is leveraging so many people having iPhones, and that iPhones are kept up-to-date far more than Android phones. Google simply can't compete with it. Even if they released a similar product, there is no way they could get the requisite software running on anything more than 1% of Android phones, which means the whole system would not work.

I'm sure they'll sell well, but how are these different than what's already been out there for years from Tile? I've used them for keys forever (with my Android BTW).

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS and Acylum

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Apple has a billion devices that can find a lost device. Tile is proprietary and requires another tile user to locate it.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

Lol they were out there. They are called Tile and they’ve been around for years.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

Couldn't they just take the airtag off the bike?

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
They certainly look cool. Very magic. Spider trackers from the comics. However, I've got a couple of worries.

You put them on your house key. Someone find the tag and scans it. They now have your name and number right? Could they reverse search and find your address?

Two. Someone nabs your bag. Their IPhone will let them know when a tag is following them and remove the tag. Not real useful for an resourceful thief.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Overall it's very Apple-y. It works better for the Apple ecosystem than Tile (obviously) so I will buy a couple. One for the dog collar and one for my keys which I misplace quite often even inside our place.

I agree though with some on here...if you put it on a bike or a backpack or your wallet/purse and one of those things aren't just misplaced, but stolen...what good does it do? By the time you found it (if you did at all) the chances of the AirTag being removed or tossed out of the item is very very high.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We use the tiles for our keys. We sometimes need to swap vehicles, and locating the other set quickly has been beneficial. More for a peace of mind solution than a need.

These look to be smaller and more versatile.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron