Apple’s virtual reality for $3499

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My biggest question with this: Can I connect this to another person in the room with me so we can watch the same movie at the same time? It seems great if you are a rich single person.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yep, it was $599 which was way more than the $50-150 that people were used to shelling out for new phones at the time.
Sales of the iPhone were relatively small the first couple years. I would imagine a lot of those early adopters were coming from Palm or Blackberry and were already used to spending 300-400 on a phone.

And smart phones have been heavily subsidized by the carriers for years. Very few buyers are walking in to a store and paying $1k+ for the latest flagship phones.

I don't see who would step in here and subsidize headsets, so they are just going to need to work on brining the cost down over the years to grow the market.

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
Sales of the iPhone were relatively small the first couple years. I would imagine a lot of those early adopters were coming from Palm or Blackberry and were already used to spending 300-400 on a phone.

And smart phones have been heavily subsidized by the carriers for years. Very few buyers are walking in to a store and paying $1k+ for the latest flagship phones.

I don't see who would step in here and subsidize headsets, so they are just going to need to work on brining the cost down over the years to grow the market.
You can make argument essentially about any product (cars, computers, TVs ect). This wont be a product for all but there are people that will have no issue shelling out this type of money for this. There are plenty of 4k LED TV's for 400-800 but people will still spend 3-4k for an OLED and to my knowledge these are not subsidized products.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
It seems every time I update a phone it is "just another $27 / month" sales pitch. Will this be a "just another $99 / month" pitch?

The frugal part of me says no to this product, but the honest part of me says probably yes in a few years.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The tech is the amazing part of this, I think the use cases will grow as they build it out.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The tech is the amazing part of this, I think the use cases will grow as they build it out.
That was my thoughts, too. I remember when someone i knew had an iPhone the first few weeks....just couldn't wrap my head around it at first because it was so different than a regular phone...and no buttons....now SOOOO many things are touch screen based.

The video they showed was so cool in terms of what you said, the technology we haven't seen. I would love to try them on and see what it looks like vs the simulation of the video.

I had a VR set once and just couldn't watching videos on it (even though they were huge, felt confinded) but this one looks different. But i think of someone that may live alone or something, you could use this for entertainment, work, etc. in a small space.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think it's awesome. But I don't see wanting to put on goggles to virtually type a Word doc with my eyes.

I'm sure for gaming it'll be cool, and maybe for movie watching. Maybe.

I'm an Apple hater but this is still really cool.

Reactions: Farnsworth

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Having access to the real world through it (AR) might have some benefit for those who get motion sickness with VR type setups. That’s my hope.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Finally got around to watching the full announcement

Pros:
Hand and eye tracking
>4k High res displays
Mix reality knob

Cons:
Weight
Doesn't work with AirPods or AirPod Max
Doesn't run Mac OS without a Mac (Book?)

Ugly:
Front Eyes - I bet some one will turn it into a cylon
$3500

Reactions: simply1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Having access to the real world through it (AR) might have some benefit for those who get motion sickness with VR type setups. That’s my hope.
These things don’t tend to work with prescription glasses either, which is a bummer. I never could get contacts to work with my astigmatism.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
These things don’t tend to work with prescription glasses either, which is a bummer. I never could get contacts to work with my astigmatism.
I did see you can get lenses put in that fit your prescription, curious how expensive that will be but not having to wear glasses behind them would be awesome.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I did see you can get lenses put in that fit your prescription, curious how expensive that will be but not having to wear glasses behind them would be awesome.
Probably expensive, but that is the price for the form factor I suppose. I know some prescriptions won’t be supported, wonder which ones that is. Progressives?