Apparently, not a lot of chicken in that nugget

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It is what Arbys' "beef" (beef loaf of recontituted beef stuffs) is to real beef, not what anyone would think of as actual chicken meat.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
You can make a chicken nugget from pure chicken breast meat, but they would be too pricey for fast food. Let's face it, deep frying anything already took the healthiness factor down 10 fold.

The muscle tissue, blood vessels, and skin, all probably come from mechanically de-boned chickens (MD), which is basically squeezing the extra pieces of meat off the bone after the breast and other primal cuts are cut out as too not waste any product. It's perfectly safe to eat, but looks much more disgusting than "pink slime" that the media had a field day over, and put companies out of business. If the wrong vegetarian media person saw MD, they would have it all over the news (kind of like this) on how bad it is for you. Even though it is still probably much leaner and better for you than a steak for instance. It's the deep frying it that makes it unhealthy.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You can make a chicken nugget from pure chicken breast meat, but they would be too pricey for fast food. Let's face it, deep frying anything already took the healthiness factor down 10 fold.

The muscle tissue, blood vessels, and skin, all probably come from mechanically de-boned chickens (MD), which is basically squeezing the extra pieces of meat off the bone after the breast and other primal cuts are cut out as too not waste any product. It's perfectly safe to eat, but looks much more disgusting than "pink slime" that the media had a field day over, and put companies out of business. If the wrong vegetarian media person saw MD, they would have it all over the news (kind of like this) on how bad it is for you. Even though it is still probably much leaner and better for you than a steak for instance. It's the deep frying it that makes it unhealthy.

The wife actually did this for our daughter today. They are actually pretty good. But a McNugget is tough to beat in a pinch.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Per the sample size, does anyone remember when McNuggets had two "types?" You would get the ones that tasted like white meat or the ones that were like greasy thigh parts. Both had their strengths.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
I'd be more concerned if they served Rocky Mountain McOysters.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I butchered a bird not too long ago. You know what I found? Muscle tissue, blood vessels and skin. Those three things actually made up a large part of the bird, aside from the internal organs, bones. I guess if they used that to make the nuggets they would be better?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Couldn't help but watch the Frontline piece on NFL concussions and imagine the discourse on scientific studies were talking about chicken nugget contents.