Apartments in Ankeny

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I lived in an apartment in Ankeny until last fall. I lived in the Parkview Terrace apartments. I paid $650 for a two bedroom (with heat and cable included). The rent never increased the whole time I lived there which was several years.

But I'd stay away from that place. It used to pretty nice with a really good on-site manager who kept things up and clean. It recently got a new on-site manager who is really, really, really bad.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If I was young and single again I would just move to a downtown DM apartment. The extra 5 minutes you would drive everyday as apposed to living in Ankeny would be worth it. Just think about being able to walk to Court Ave. every night....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If I was young and single again I would just move to a downtown DM apartment. The extra 5 minutes you would drive everyday as apposed to living in Ankeny would be worth it. Just think about being able to walk to Court Ave. every night....

Me too. Downtown Des Moines is night and day compared to what it was like just 10 years ago. I'd move downtown in a heartbeat if I was just out of school.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Me too. Downtown Des Moines is night and day compared to what it was like just 10 years ago. I'd move downtown in a heartbeat if I was just out of school.

Yeah... remember all of those people talking about all of the money being thrown away in an attempt to dress up downtown? You don't hear them complaining now!!

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Doesn't Johnston have much the same problem?

Wait, are you talking about Johnston or Ankeny?

Johnston is decently planned.. there's actually things like Saylorville Dam, Camp Dodge, and communities that aren't squares. Ankeny is a giant square with a bunch of chains. and tons of churches, for whatever reason. Also, Ankeny kids always wear their letter jackets everywhere. Last time I checked, this isn't the 1950s...

Last edited:

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
I don't get the hate for Ankeny, either. I enjoyed living in Ankeny, even if it is a chain place. About everything you need is within a couple of miles, or a 5 minute drive. And I happen to like most of the chains there are.

I had an ex-girlfriend that lived on State Street, just south of the Faith Bible college. I think it was only about $400-450, but it was really pretty small. May take a look at craigslist, and see if anybody's renting out any houses, too...

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Johnston is decently planned.. there's actually things like Saylorville Dam, Camp Dodge, and communities that aren't squares. Ankeny is a giant square with a bunch of chains. and tons of churches, for whatever reason. Also, Ankeny kids always wear their letter jackets everywhere. Last time I checked, this isn't the 1950s...

I don't see anything wrong with what you just typed.
And when did HS kids wearing letter jackets go out of style? Only in Johnston? I've been around a lot of HS kids and while a lot of the fashions have changed, letter jackets have not.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I don't see anything wrong with what you just typed.
And when did HS kids wearing letter jackets go out of style? Only in Johnston? I've been around a lot of HS kids and while a lot of the fashions have changed, letter jackets have not.

There's nothing theoretically wrong with what I typed. Just my preference. I'm actually not a downtown dsm guy either, FWIW

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Yeah... remember all of those people talking about all of the money being thrown away in an attempt to dress up downtown? You don't hear them complaining now!!

The dressing up has mostly been done by private business, which is the way that it should be. I would say a big part needs to go to Full Court Press or whatever their name is that started all the sweet bars.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, I have been finding some around $600, and some around $800. Kind of hard to find much on the internet for down there.

How is Timberland?

It's actually not too bad. Pretty clean. It's probably the best thing you will find in Ankeny. I just hate living in apartments buildings.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
How much for an apt anywhere in the DSM area, my mom might be looking sometime soon.:sad:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If I was young and unattached, I would definately do what I could to live downtown DM. You live in Ankeny for one reason...you have kids and you' like the school system...or you work in Nevada. You have you whole life to eventually be tied to having to live in suburbia, don't make the mistake of doing it when you don't have too...unless you work in Nevada. :smile:

Living downtown will add more than 5 minutes to your commute. To me, Ankeny makes the most sense and I have to believe there is an apartment that would work for you.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not seeing the Ankeny hate either. It's no different than U-Dale, Grimes, Johnston, Altoona, Waukee, etc. It's a suburb with a lot of chain restaurants and laid back unremarkable bars. You're a reasonable drive from downtown, and it's mostly a clean town with nice parks, etc.

Help Support Us

Become a patron