Anyone manage their personal finances by spreadsheet?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
If my kid is wanting to go into engineering or another STEM field I’d love for them to be able to take calculus in HS

I’m sure there’s a way schools could work a finance class in

My high school had multiple finance classes. I’m sure a lot do nowadays

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
While I would agree that you can do what you want with a spreadsheet I think there are real advantages to using an app. There are really 3 out there that standout. Quicken, Mint and Personal Finance. They will all import from all of your accounts -- bank accounts, brokerage accounts, retirement accounts, credit cards, etc. This saves you the time to enter all your transactions. They will guess at what category the transactions should be charged to and most of the time the guess will be correct. Sometimes the guess will be off and once you correct one transaction it will remember the correct category for the future.

I use Personal Capital. It has the Instream Monte Carlo built in. This may not mean much to most. It's a very powerful retirement planner that is used by many of the top financial planning firms.

All of these will let you quickly see your asset allocation and provide a personal balance sheet along with details of your spending. All of the transactions can be exported to a csv file. I do this annually to help prepare some reports for my wife to review.

We live in Canada for 4+ months annually. Here I used Mint as it allows import of my Canadian accounts.

Give one of these a try and see if it doesn't lessen the drudgery.

I use Mint, but am intrigued by Personal Capital. Are most of the tools free? Looks like you have to pay for some of the wealth management stuff.

Mint works for me right now, but curious if anyone has used both Mint and PC, and what advantages either one has over the other.

h-man64

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines
I use Mint, but am intrigued by Personal Capital. Are most of the tools free? Looks like you have to pay for some of the wealth management stuff.

Mint works for me right now, but curious if anyone has used both Mint and PC, and what advantages either one has over the other.

I use both. The budgeting tool on Mint is better. The Personal Capital retirement tool and asset allocation tools are great.

It is free to sign up and use the tools, but they will contact you to do some investing with them. I did and pay .90% in management fees which is reasonable. They are somewhat of a robo-adviser, but depending on how much you invest, you get two advisers that are assigned to your account. Mine have been very good. I love what they do in regards to tax loss harvesting. They automatically balance your asset allocation according to your risk tolerance which is nice.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads and Cyched

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Good lord, I already have a complicated job that makes my head spin. The last thing I want to do when I get home is be an accountant. With the hours you're likely spending on that level of management, my guess is your making only a few bucks an hour for the work.

Hide your money from yourself by moving it immediately into all your retirement/savings accounts, invest in some real estate that will pay for itself, pay a financial advisor and a tax professional and spend as much time as possible with your family is my advice.

Wasn't seeking financial advice, but thanks.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My tiny little local CU built a better tool than Mint for tracking all accounts and instantly calculating net worth.

For savings, I have spreadsheet with good old-fashioned Accounting 101 t-accounts to separate savings that is for different purposes. Simple, works great.

Kami6348

Aug 12, 2016

Personal Capital offers the app for free. They will pester you about scheduling an appt with an advisor. This will end in the advisor trying to get you to use their advisory service. I don't use their advisory service as I was an RIA for 15 years so I'm comfortable with just continuing the passive approach, primarily DFA funds, that I advised on.

I think PC has better reporting and is easier to navigate. Mint's hook is budgeting. Mint pesters you with on screen credit card and other offers. I just ignore these but they take up real estate something PC doesn't do.

As I said in an earlier post either of them will capture all your transactions and simplify the job. I only export transactions annually and then just for archival and analysis. You could do this more frequently if you thought that working with the detail helps you.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I used to exclusively use spreadsheets for everything. Then I read an article on Nerdwallet that compared different websites. I started with Personal Capital and used it for free for several years for retirement planning. Really easy to work with and you can setup many scenarios and assumptions and compare. I finally pulled the trigger and are having them manage my investments and so far so good. Getting ready to retire soon and since we don't have pensions it's completely our savings so Personal Capital's retirement planning models using 5,000 Monte Carlo simulations to calculate the outcomes gives me a lot more comfort to go ahead and pull the trigger on retirement. I still use a spreadsheet for budgeting.

Reactions: randomfan44

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I use both. The budgeting tool on Mint is better. The Personal Capital retirement tool and asset allocation tools are great.

It is free to sign up and use the tools, but they will contact you to do some investing with them. I did and pay .90% in management fees which is reasonable. They are somewhat of a robo-adviser, but depending on how much you invest, you get two advisers that are assigned to your account. Mine have been very good. I love what they do in regards to tax loss harvesting. They automatically balance your asset allocation according to your risk tolerance which is nice.
Personal Capital offers the app for free. They will pester you about scheduling an appt with an advisor. This will end in the advisor trying to get you to use their advisory service. I don't use their advisory service as I was an RIA for 15 years so I'm comfortable with just continuing the passive approach, primarily DFA funds, that I advised on.

I think PC has better reporting and is easier to navigate. Mint's hook is budgeting. Mint pesters you with on screen credit card and other offers. I just ignore these but they take up real estate something PC doesn't do.

As I said in an earlier post either of them will capture all your transactions and simplify the job. I only export transactions annually and then just for archival and analysis. You could do this more frequently if you thought that working with the detail helps you.

Thanks.

Mint has worked well for me, been using it since I graduated college. I agree that the ads are getting annoying - I keep getting ads for an Amex card I already have :rolleyes: They also have connectivity issues from time to time, and seem to be getting more frequent.

I'll keep using Mint, but my finances aren't too complicated either. Will probably look into PC at some point down the road.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Interesting thread with lots of points of view. Different things work for different people. The point of intersection appears to be that people in this discussion are quite intentional about managing their personal finances. That would seem to be the key.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Can't we have one thread on this board where we don't bag on other posters.

Follow that conversation back to its origin and tell me who's bagging on whom. I started the thread to see if other people had a common interest. No need for someone else who doesn't share that interest to weigh in without anything constructive to add.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
My financial advisor has tools way better than some manual spreadsheet that has to be babysat 10 hours a month.

The fact that you would say 10 hours means you probably have no clue how to build a spreadsheet. It takes me like 20 minutes to update our spreadsheet for monthly spending. I don’t know how anyone can feel good about their finances when they don’t know where their money is going.