Anyone know where to buy moving boxes?

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
lease is almost up and i need to start packing, is there anywhere that sells moving boxes around ames?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
lease is almost up and i need to start packing, is there anywhere that sells moving boxes around ames?

Sign up for storycountyfreecycle on freecycle.org and post that you want boxes. Lots of offers and wants for boxes right now. Catch: it's all free.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ditto on the UHaul. Isn't there an Office Max on the southside of town? They should have them too.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I know lowes has them. However, try going to HyVee when they are stocking their product and ask if you can have some of the boxes. You may have to go either late at night or early in the morning.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I know a place in Cedar Rapids that could help you out...

They sell them at Sams pretty reasonably. You can usually get them for free from alot of places too. Expect the ones that have their own cardboard compactors, it seems it is harder to get boxes from them these days.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
free route is best way, call subway/mcdonalds too, usually throw out a lot of boxes.

also campus fortress storage says they do. Most moving places, like Uhaul as was said, do as well. I know true value does here in wdm.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I know lowes has them. However, try going to HyVee when they are stocking their product and ask if you can have some of the boxes. You may have to go either late at night or early in the morning.

definitely try this. won't cost you a dime. we did this when we moved. we also bought some of the grocery boxes with the carrying cutouts from hy-vee. they are easy to carry and for breakable things.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Go into any retail store and ask them if they have any broken down boxes they don't need anymore. Good way to get free boxes.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Might try a fast food place and ask for them to keep the fry boxes. I worked fast food in HS and the boxes that all the frys came in were perfect moving boxes. Fairly heavy duty, normally the were clean, and a nice medium size. Only downside was the lack of cutouts for handholds.

Reactions: Angie

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
If you go to hyvee produce and ask for banana boxes, they usually have plenty. They have a small hole in the bottom that can be easily covered with a paper sack in the bottom of it.

Oh yeah and did i mention they are free!!!