• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I've always worked at home and now have kids at home. However, my wife is a teacher is it kind of cancels out other than it's a bit more noisy.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I have 3 small children, 6 year old twins and a 3 yr old. I'm really stressed out, honestly. I normally work from home, so that's no issue, but with daycare and school shut down I'm now going to have to home school at the same time?

My wife works for the state in an essential job, but she has to go to the office to work, there is no work from home option for her.

So, yeah. This all ******* sucks.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Kids are at home (7 and 10), wife and I both are working from home as well. We can kind of tag team if we need to, but It’s spring break this week. I’ll be curious to how this all goes when they start doing e-learning next week......

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We have 4, (4-12). Thankfully they're old enough to pretty much fend for themselves. Having more also does help in these situations because they can play together rather than needing mom and dad to entertain them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I normally work from home, but my wife is now working at home too, and our 13-yr old is home now. Our school system is starting online learning today, and we have been bombarded with emails from the school for the last few days with instructions about how this is all going work. We shall see how it goes. I'm definitely not seeing any opportunities for all of this binge watching and new hobby stuff...

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I've got a 13 yo and 10 yo, so far the xbox has done a fine job of babysitting. The wife has decided that they're gong to be productive starting today and made up a daily schedule for them so we'll see how well that goes.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have 3 small children, 6 year old twins and a 3 yr old. I'm really stressed out, honestly. I normally work from home, so that's no issue, but with daycare and school shut down I'm now going to have to home school at the same time?

My wife works for the state in an essential job, but she has to go to the office to work, there is no work from home option for her.

So, yeah. This all ******* sucks.

I'm in the same boat. I'm extremely thankful to have a job I'm comfortable in but I am extremely unproductive. I worked all weekend too. Gonna be really rough if this stretches on for months.

• Friendly
Reactions: tzjung

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I normally work from home, but my wife is now working at home too, and our 13-yr old is home now. Our school system is starting online learning today, and we have been bombarded with emails from the school for the last few days with instructions about how this is all going work. We shall see how it goes. I'm definitely not seeing any opportunities for all of this binge watching and new hobby stuff...

We aren't getting any real direction e-learning. Reason is that since it's public school and not every kid has access to the same resources they just aren't doing anything really. I'm honestly pretty frustrated by it.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
One young child who requires a lot of supervision and attention. Spouse and I tag team throughout the day. The extra time with toddler is nice but it definitely makes this harder. He's eating breakfast next to me now while I catch up on emails. Life gets frustrating when he needs attention, spouse is on a call same time as me and everyone on my call is just chit chatting because they have no kids. I'm not resentful because this is my choice but I do wonder how can I politely be like STFU and get going on the agenda before I get a meltdown in the background.

Trying not to work all night/weekend because that is not sustainable for weeks on end, imo.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Have a 3 year old at home, this is now week 2. My wife is also home but she’s a “meeting person”. Meetings all day every day. So I’m doing my normal job, also trying to keep a three year old entertained, then have to deal with my wife griping that I’m grumpy and just fall asleep every night at the same time as the kiddo does. It’s not great.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I've always worked at home and now have kids at home. However, my wife is a teacher is it kind of cancels out other than it's a bit more noisy.

Are you me? This is my exact situation. We have an "active" 7 yr old and a 4 yr old, so they are definitely going crazy by not being able to go anywhere.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
No kids here and no close friends since moving to a new state so things aren't much different for us other than I started working from home and we're not eating out since I barely trusted the cleanliness level of restaurants here to begin with (lots of Hep A reports around the time we moved).

Reactions: Angie

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Trying not to work all night/weekend because that is not sustainable for weeks on end, imo.
Obviously not a CPA!

"Taxes are awesome to prepare with your screaming five month old in the background who just figured out he can make super loud super high pitched sounds!"...said no one ever.

Wife and I are sharing the office with 2 really confused dogs and the 5 month old. It's chaos.

Prediction? Lots of divorces in the near future. Baby boom in the next 9-12 months.