Anyone got away trip plans for the Big12 newcomers?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I think BYU will work…. Easy non-stop Friday and Sunday for that weekend, and under $400.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I drove through BYU, Utah and Utah St campus/stadiums on my last trip up to Grand Teton National Park.

If anybody remotely enjoys outdoor life it's top road trip in new Big 12. There are obviously great places to hike, camp, climb and backpack all over Utah, but you don't even have to go far from BYU campus to be in some very beautiful areas. There were what looked like 1000s of college kids tubing down beautiful mountain river almost right next to campus.

It's actually not a bad drive up to Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Probably similar distance as the Utah national parks. In early fall I'd prefer Yellowstone/Teton. In later fall I'd prefer Zion/Bryce Canyon/Moab areas.

BYU campus itself isn't any different than any other and the stadium seems appropriately Big 12 big time.

Utah stadium same way, but campus and stadium are more in the middle of town where BYU seemed closer to mountains. Utah St town and campus and stadium were nicer than I'd have guessed too.
Utes are close to downtown, but on the northeast edge of the city backing to the mountains.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
My experience there in '21 was not great. If you must go, buy from the ISU allotment, strength in numbers kind of thing. When the Clones were coming back, right after the student section got kicked out/relocated, I became a little uneasy for my family's safety. Like my Spidey-sense kicked in. Similar to being a visitor in Iowa City. The had tons of merch for sale, including one specific to ISU, "I ain't skerd of no turnado!" or something like that. I should have bought one as a funny souvenir.

My wife's masters is from TTU, so she gets all the alumni offers and we took in a bball game the night before. The visiting team was outmatched, the arena just seemed dead. I got nachos, they were the same old nachos you get everywhere, expected better in Lubbock...
If you ever go back to Lubbock for a game, you can easily just move to the Iowa State section in the corner of the north endzone since they don’t really check tickets, the allotment never sells out, should be a bit more hospitable, speaking from the three times I’ve made the trip down there for an isu game.

Reactions: bozclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I bought tickets through alumni groups for games in Lubbock and Austin.

Is there going to be something like that for Cincinnati?

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I don’t recall it feeling small, but it was many years ago. It was an older stadium. One end zone has almost no seating if I remember correctly. The unique thing was the location. Imagine Jack Trice on central campus and the lower level of seats all below ground level. You can see many of the campus buildings if you have upper level seats. I have no idea how the tailgate. No big parking lots that I remember. Also, when I went to a basketball game there a few years ago we walked by the football stadium and it looked like students hung out in the stadium some during the day. A few were playing catch with a football that day and others were just sitting in the bleachers.

View attachment 109154
Looks like there is some sort of tall building behind one side of the stadium. Will we be subjected to phony virtue signaling by their fans as they wave to the occupants after the first quarter?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Not newcomer, but would like to hit Lubbock for a football or basketball game.
Never been to Lubbock.... but have some friends that have been. All have told me that it's not a good experience. Fans were jerks, town was a dump, etc...

I'll save myself the hassle and attend somewhere else more pleasing. I hear that WV is pretty cool.

Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Never been to Lubbock.... but have some friends that have been. All have told me that it's not a good experience. Fans were jerks, town was a dump, etc...

I'll save myself the hassle and attend somewhere else more pleasing. I hear that WV is pretty cool.
WV is a GREAT visit.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Planning on taking the RV and a big family group to Cinici this year. Would love to get to Provo some year as well - but time of year would play into that. I have no interest in going to Houston or UCF, unless they are launching a rocket at the same time.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk

Haha! You're the second person to say that. Provo or Cinci might be the way to go!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Planning on taking the RV and a big family group to Cinici this year. Would love to get to Provo some year as well - but time of year would play into that. I have no interest in going to Houston or UCF, unless they are launching a rocket at the same time.
Apologies if you are already aware and have a plan, but UC is an Urban Campus with almost exclusively Garage Parking. Not sure if they even have an RV area in Clifton? Great place to see a game though! Not a bad seat in the house.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Apologies if you are already aware and have a plan, but UC is an Urban Campus with almost exclusively Garage Parking. Not sure if they even have an RV area in Clifton? Great place to see a game though! Not a bad seat in the house.
Appreciate the heads up - we were simply thinking of taking an RV so we could all ride together, especially having a handful of kids under 4 - makes it a much more enjoyable experience. We'll probably have to park at a hotel (stay there) and uber to the game. Thanks again for the info!

Reactions: AlaCyclone

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
On TV it looked very small, but I read it's about a 40,000 seat venue which is in the ballpark of our Cyclone Stadium days.

Only their fans look like they're on top of the action. At least it looked like that on screen. Like a hall closet
Until a few years ago, Nippert’s seats literally went down to field level. The first two or three rows were removed, so it’s not quite field level anymore. Lower level seats are a good place to view the backs of everyone on
the sidelines. Prolly the only “bad” seats in the place.

Reactions: bozclone