Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Can't include TJ's salary, you're paying a coach a salary no matter what.
Maybe my numbers are 100% but why can’t you consider what you have to pay the next coach ? We have to pay Prohms buyout/salary so to me those numbers all matter as we consider the cost of it all.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Are you sure about this? Normally in termination cases the buyout is due within 30 days or something along those lines.

Guessing we could/would pay the buyout to Prohm immediately but finance it to actually get the money in over the course of time, if needed.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Are you sure about this? Normally in termination cases the buyout is due within 30 days or something along those lines.

Not uncommon in coaching at all. It's how Nebraska was paying Pelini, Riley, and Frost all at the same time.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Maybe my numbers are 100% but why can’t you consider what you have to pay the next coach ? We have to pay Prohms buyout/salary so to me those numbers all matter as we consider the cost of it all.
Prohm's buyout eliminates his salary, TJ's would replace his salary, so there's no "extra" salary that you're paying.

• Agree
Reactions: Ozclone

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Prohm's buyout eliminates his salary, TJ's would replace his salary, so there's no "extra" salary that you're paying.
Exactly, in comparing two situations you need to consider costs to get to a comparable situation. A coach has to be paid next year whether it is Prohm or his replacement. The only way that salary comes into play is the delta from one to the other. If it is less with a new coach the total cost to switch goes down by the delta and if it goes up, it only goes up by the delta not the whole salary.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
pretty sure those donations were made specifically for the walkway, and are not general donations to be used for whatever.

also, people need to lay off JP. Dude has been amazing for ISU.

JP has been ok. His facilities planning has been great, but his coaching hires have been mediocre at best. GMac, Chizik, and Prohm were disasters. CPR was ok. Hoiberg and Campbell were great, but he also lost Kindler and Sanderson (only the greatest active coach in the entire sport whose an alum).

Honestly, without Campbell this fanbase would be having an entirely different conversation about replacing JP.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JP has been ok. His facilities planning has been great, but his coaching hires have been mediocre at best. GMac, Chizik, and Prohm were disasters. CPR was ok. Hoiberg and Campbell were great, but he also lost Kindler and Sanderson (only the greatest active coach in the entire sport whose an alum).

Honestly, without Campbell this fanbase would be having an entirely different conversation about replacing JP.

Maybe so, but you can't take Campbell out of the equation.

Either way, it is scary how many of you are ready to throw Pollard out. We have a lot of stupid fans apparently.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Either way, it is scary how many of you are ready to throw Pollard out. We have a lot of stupid fans apparently.

I’m not throwing Pollard out, especially since Campbell seems attached to JP.

All I’m saying is imagine a world where the hire after CPR doesn’t work. Yikes.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

JP did not lose Kindler or Sanderson. ISU has a bunch of cheapskate fans who are unwilling to pony up for great coaches and great facilities. From the high level donors all the way down.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
JP did not lose Kindler or Sanderson. ISU has a bunch of cheapskate fans who are unwilling to pony up for great coaches and great facilities. From the high level donors all the way down.

That’s not how businesses work. Pollard runs the ISU AD business so guess who is responsible for funding that business? JP

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

the assumption probably is the donors paying back the AD over time for fronting the buyout.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just don't see how you can go into next season with Prohm still running this program and expect to sell any tickets at all?
It would be different if it looked like the players were getting good coaching out there.... but they just look lost half the time.

Reactions: cyatheart

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

We are paying a salary for the MBB staff regardless. So it’s incorrect to include that as an additional cost required to be paid by donation if we make a coaching change, as you did in your example with TJ.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Chizik really worked out OK in the end since he recruited well and provided CPR the talent needed for some decent years, and he left on his own so he didn’t leave us in a hole.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan4St8

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

While Pollard has made some high level hires that flopped (FB/MBB) he has been an incredible success taking ISU out of the medieval ages in terms of facilities that allow ISU to compete with the rest of the CONF.

His vision for ISU facilities back in 2006 is still materializing. I'd put him on ISU's Mount Rushmore.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Chizik really worked out OK in the end since he recruited well and provided CPR the talent needed for some decent years, and he left on his own so he didn’t leave us in a hole.

That’s fair, but then like half of the CPR’s success is credited to another coach. Still a mess of a situation

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
That’s not how businesses work. Pollard runs the ISU AD business so guess who is responsible for funding that business? JP
You are spot on. Frankly, I don’t believe JP ever thought wrestling was a priority or even a major sport at ISU. When Cael made demands, JP said no.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD