Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I think you'd find if you did a poll a very large number of people on this site donate. Maybe not 5k per year, but a lot do their part.

If Jaime can't find the money to fire Prohm that's on him. If this were a one off situation it'd be understandable. There is no coming back from this from a recruiting or fan support level.

Skip the pedestrian walkway for another year and get a new coach, way more important.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
There are. But Jamie better make a good selection to replace CSP. Because at some point, the pony up to cover up ****** hires is going to dry up. His track record is god awful. Hoiberg fell in his lap and he left with a pretty bitter taste. At this point, Campbell is about all he can hang his hat on.

I would argue that all of his football hires were good. Chizek was a huge name that increased our recruiting in a great way, and CPR had success, especially compared to our overall history. In hindsight neither really panned out the way we wanted, but I would argue that they were both good hires that had their place in getting us where we are at.

McD seemed like a good hire, and is obviously a good coach, but it just didn’t work out here.

Reactions: cycloneworld

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I think you'd find if you did a poll a very large number of people on this site donate. Maybe not 5k per year, but a lot do their part.

If Jaime can't find the money to fire Prohm that's on him. If this were a one off situation it'd be understandable. There is no coming back from this from a recruiting or fan support level.
I’m not saying changes shouldn’t be made. The timing does suck on this and JP is a great AD. We are lucky to have him. I wouldn’t wish this situation on anyone. Yes it’s part of the job , but just like everyone here this pandemic has created even bigger hurdles to get past and continue the growth as planned.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So we are a victory level donor and have been asked multiple times about increasing whatever we can to help the $25 million athletic budget short fall which we are proud to help however we can help within reason . But $5 million is just the start for firing Steve. Let’s say we go after TJ which I’m only warm to that hire . His buyout is $3.2 million roughly to even go hire him away from UNLV and my guess since he’s making around $1.2 million right now we’d have to be a bit above that so let’s say $1.3 million. So my math shows me so you’re at almost 11 million dollars to make all this happen. So maybe we have some major donors that will help kick in to make something happen but I’m kind of sick of I’m guessing a fair amount of people on here giving their two cents of spending others money to make their programs better and I’d be shocked if they even donate at all.

Isn’t Prohm and the staff salary for next year already included in departments budget?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I’m not saying changes shouldn’t be made. The timing does suck on this and JP is a great AD. We are lucky to have him. I wouldn’t wish this situation on anyone. Yes it’s part of the job , but just like everyone here this pandemic has created even bigger hurdles to get past and continue the growth as planned.
You can't retain a coach just because of covid, I'm tired of hearing that as an excuse, he needs to be fired. Steve is being compensated very well to not win games and that needs changed when this season is over.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I would argue that all of his football hires were good. Chizek was a huge name that increased our recruiting in a great way, and CPR had success, especially compared to our overall history. In hindsight neither really panned out the way we wanted, but I would argue that they were both good hires that had their place in getting us where we are at..

McD seemed like a good hire, and is obviously a good coach, but it just didn’t work out here.
I would very much agree with that . But maybe that raises another good question/thought.... Ok hiring a football coach that is a big name for assistants or coming from a mid major and showing your program is a winning style that can win at a bigger level. But how often does it work out to hire a mid major bball coach? Mcd was a good coach and is having a level success again. Orr came from Michigan and over time had great teams and built a good program and a great legacy. Floyd came from New Orleans and brought in talent and had success but after ISU has had a bumpy career. Eustacy ugh had great teams and ended ugly and also had a rough career and he came from Utah State. Fred no coaching career and he rebuilt a good program. So I guess to me it’s no surprise that Prohm system hasn’t worked at a higher level. He’s brought in good talent and worked with the coat tails of what Fred built and yes was left with big shoes and some recruiting to catch up on. So I guess going after someone that is doing good on the mid major level doesn’t get me excited for our next coach.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Isn’t Prohm and the staff salary for next year already included in departments budget?

You know that they have to start the budget process for 2021 in 2020 right? So back in August, I don't think anybody was anticipating firing Prohm, so yes they probably have his salary in the 2021 budget.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan4St8

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I know of one major donor who has a building named after them on campus who is not a CSP fan... I'm also in the process of asking them for a donation to another cause. I can ask him if he has talked to Pollard. My guess is no as I've heard jamie has a name already picked

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You know that they have to start the budget process for 2021 in 2020 right? So back in August, I don't think anybody was anticipating firing Prohm, so yes they probably have his salary in the 2021 budget.

Yes, that is my point. The poster I replied to seemed to have indicated that we’d need donors to pay the new staffs salary along with the buyout. I don’t think that is accurate as we already should have the MBB program staffs in the AD budget.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
So we are a victory level donor and have been asked multiple times about increasing whatever we can to help the $25 million athletic budget short fall which we are proud to help however we can help within reason . But $5 million is just the start for firing Steve. Let’s say we go after TJ which I’m only warm to that hire . His buyout is $3.2 million roughly to even go hire him away from UNLV and my guess since he’s making around $1.2 million right now we’d have to be a bit above that so let’s say $1.3 million. So my math shows me so you’re at almost 11 million dollars to make all this happen. So maybe we have some major donors that will help kick in to make something happen but I’m kind of sick of I’m guessing a fair amount of people on here giving their two cents of spending others money to make their programs better and I’d be shocked if they even donate at all.
There are donors that have stepped up, but the ones I am aware of are willing to fund both buyouts if a specific coach is hired. If we went in a different direction, Prohm’s buyout could be paid out over time.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yes, that is my point. The poster I replied to seemed to have indicated that we’d need donors to pay the new staffs salary along with the buyout. I don’t think that is accurate as we already should have the MBB program staffs in the AD budget.

We have their annual salary in the budget, but we don't have a buyout in the budget. So yes, you can take some of the money from annual salary, but I'm guessing buyout is going to be much more substantial than whatever we have in the budget for 2021.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
There are donors that have stepped up, but the ones I am aware of are willing to fund both buyouts if a specific coach is hired. If we went in a different direction, Prohm’s buyout could be paid out over time.

That’s great we are lucky to have these major donors. So if they are willing to pony the cash for all this why not go after a big splash coach then? Go get that coach that will expect to make $3.5-4 million and really go after it .

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That’s great we are lucky to have these major donors. So if they are willing to pony the cash for all this why not go after a big splash coach then? Go get that coach that will expect to make $3.5-4 million and really go after it .
Just because you go after the big splash coach doesn't make them interested in being at Iowa State.

And it's very likely, based on other coaching searches Jamie has done, none of us ever know what really happened or who he reaches out to.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
There are. But Jamie better make a good selection to replace CSP. Because at some point, the pony up to cover up ****** hires is going to dry up. His track record is god awful. Hoiberg fell in his lap and he left with a pretty bitter taste. At this point, Campbell is about all he can hang his hat on.

campbell is enough. No one is doing anything with pollard while Campbell is here. A lot of programs go through several hires trying to find their guy.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Can't include TJ's salary, you're paying a coach a salary no matter what.

Reactions: ATCy

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

Isn't this the kind of stuff that keeps killing Texas football? Donors running the program vicariously? I want CSP gone after this year, but I don't know if I want donors dictating the next hire.

Just my 2 cents....