Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
There’s plenty of things to harp on Prohm for, but ******** about NCAA matchups is silly. The coach doesn’t have any control over that. An upset happened. So what?

Do you think K-State fans were upset when UMBC upset Virginia in 18? Or were they happy they had an easier game to get their team to the second weekend?

It's a complete bullsh!t excuse thrown out by fans to discredit his accomplishments because they decided to dislike him from Day One, whether it's because of who he replaced or other reasons. I think that's really all there is to it.

Same reason why the loss to UAB is excused as "hey, March happens" while a loss to a much better Ohio State team is considered the single worst NCAA tournament loss in ISU history by the same people.

Look, Steve Prohm should absolutely lose his job for these last two seasons. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is a very small but very vocal minority who were never ready to accept him in the first place, which is why we still get what we currently have going in this thread.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It's a complete bullsh!t excuse thrown out by fans to discredit his accomplishments because they decided to dislike him from Day One, whether it's because of who he replaced or other reasons. I think that's really all there is to it.

Same reason why the loss to UAB is excused as "hey, March happens" while a loss to a much better Ohio State team is considered the single worst NCAA tournament loss in ISU history by the same people.

Look, Steve Prohm should absolutely lose his job for these last two seasons. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is a very small but very vocal minority who were never ready to accept him in the first place, which is why we still get what we currently have going in this thread.

Given our history it’s just hard for me to diminish a Sweet 16 appearance, regardless of how it happens. My point on K-State and UMBC in 2018 stands.

I’d be curious to go back to the threads when we found out LR had upset Purdue. I’m sure there was more excitement that we only had to beat a 12 seed rather than “well **** this isn’t going to count now.”

Low major or not, given Beard and the fact they had just beat a good Purdue team, I was pleased that we beat them as handily as we did.

Regardless, we all agree Prohm needs to go, so this is a pretty futile exercise. A good hire will get us back in the second weekend

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just facts. No tourney wins over high major opponents. That directly correlates to coaching ability.

Just facts. No tourney losses to low major teams. That directly correlates to coaching ability.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I think "hamper" would be the wrong word. While Hoiberg certainly left a good roster behind, I am not sure it was (1.) quite as good as we though, given its limited depth, especially after Naz called it a season, and its continuing inability to play defense and rebound to the degree the teams that win P6 conference championships and make the Final Four tend to do, and (2.) it certainly wasn't built to last much more than one more season.

I am not sure if the kind of player you recruit to an OVC school is what you want in the Big 12.

You are right Fred did quite a good job bringing in impact guys early in his career, but (1.) Ejim was a holdover from McDermott/really a TJ guy, (2.) most of those guys were redshirts, not immediately eligible save Jake Anderson, (3.) Fred had the whole offseason, while Prohm was hired pretty late, and (4.) Fred managed to play Moneyball with the transfer market in the early 2010s, and by the time we hired Prohm, everybody was wise to it.

Prohm did bring in some good/impact guys for the season year, though. He rebuilt a strong bench behind the four Hoiberg guys with DJax, NWB, and Bowie, and he found an effective big man in Solomon.

It was after that things started to turn south.
NWB signed under Fred, and Solomon had ties to TJ as well. I mean good on Prohm for signing Solomon though.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Are we going to have to deal with another year of ******** when prohm comes back next season?

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I think "hamper" would be the wrong word. While Hoiberg certainly left a good roster behind, I am not sure it was (1.) quite as good as we though, given its limited depth, especially after Naz called it a season, and its continuing inability to play defense and rebound to the degree the teams that win P6 conference championships and make the Final Four tend to do, and (2.) it certainly wasn't built to last much more than one more season.

I am not sure if the kind of player you recruit to an OVC school is what you want in the Big 12.

You are right Fred did quite a good job bringing in impact guys early in his career, but (1.) Ejim was a holdover from McDermott/really a TJ guy, (2.) most of those guys were redshirts, not immediately eligible save Jake Anderson, (3.) Fred had the whole offseason, while Prohm was hired pretty late, and (4.) Fred managed to play Moneyball with the transfer market in the early 2010s, and by the time we hired Prohm, everybody was wise to it.

Prohm did bring in some good/impact guys for the season year, though. He rebuilt a strong bench behind the four Hoiberg guys with DJax, NWB, and Bowie, and he found an effective big man in Solomon.

It was after that things started to turn south.

Agree with your overall point. Merely pointing out that NWB was a Hoiberg recruit, much like the Ejim TJ/McD scenario you mentioned.

Edit: While creating this post, another poster pointed out the same thing. Not intentionally being redundant.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
NWB signed under Fred, and Solomon had ties to TJ as well. I mean good on Prohm for signing Solomon though.

Nick = True, but Nick wasn't dumb. He had to know Fred was on his way out. Far as I know, Fred never gave Nick a minute of coaching. I agree it is an ambiguous case, but he's more of a Prohm guy on the fundamentals.

Solomon = Yes, a TJ guy, but it was my understanding TJ had a lot to do with Jackson and Bowie, as well. TJ was like that. Few recruits we landed didn't have TJ's fingerprints on them. But Prohm was the head man.

Altogether, those four were a pretty nice haul to go with the holdover Hoiberg guys. That was a good roster.

It was after that things went all pear-shaped.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycl1

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I view Steve's NCAA tourney success with fred's players through the lens of the knowledge we currently have. Which is basically he has no idea how to coach a b12 team and therefore a lot of credit goes to fred's studs. If Steve had shown any coaching ability the 4 years after that I'd probably give him more credit for that. To say "some fans just won't give steve any credit from day one" seems wrong, it's more like Steve has proven he should get little credit for those successes.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I was afraid this day would eventually come. CyLyte used to troll around Cyclonereport and was spewing the same drivel during Prohms first year as coach. His FIRST year! Sad that he is is still beating this drum, and worse that he found his way here. At least he's consistent though right?

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
I was afraid this day would eventually come. CyLyte used to troll around Cyclonereport and was spewing the same drivel during Prohms first year as coach. His FIRST year! Sad that he is is still beating this drum, and worse that he found his way here. At least he's consistent though right?
It is possible that CyLyte’s guy doesn’t get the job this time around either, but most evidence seems to point at him getting it.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
It is possible that CyLyte’s guy doesn’t get the job this time around either, but most evidence seems to point at him getting it.

Yep. He was bitter day one that his guy didnt get hired and carried that hatred thru the early success that Prohm had. He waited and waited so he could crawl out one day and say "I told ya so". He is def that guy.

kcbob79clone

Regardless, we all agree Prohm needs to go, so this is a pretty futile exercise. A good hire will get us back in the second weekend

I, for one, don't think CSP needs to go for 2 reasons, one bball and one football. We need to be fiscal tightwads due to Covid and for the contract upgrades and extensions after the upcoming football season. Doing a buyout now is not advisable.

Basketball wise CSP needs another year. Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Coaching is somewhat overrated, it's the players. CSP can get the players and without the early departures to the NBA or Covid it would be a different discussion.

Flame away!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I, for one, don't think CSP needs to go for 2 reasons, one bball and one football. We need to be fiscal tightwads due to Covid and for the contract upgrades and extensions after the upcoming football season. Doing a buyout now is not advisable.

Basketball wise CSP needs another year. Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Coaching is somewhat overrated, it's the players. CSP can get the players and without the early departures to the NBA or Covid it would be a different discussion.

Flame away!
Reported

• Haha
Reactions: Die4Cy and Brandon

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yep. He was bitter day one that his guy didnt get hired and carried that hatred thru the early success that Prohm had. He waited and waited so he could crawl out one day and say "I told ya so". He is def that guy.

Well the one good thing about TJ getting hired is that he’s sucked up to enough people to quash dissent for a good long time.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Debating how bad CSP is not really productive when nearly everyone agrees he needs to be let go. Considering his entire body of work, I would say he was below average, not awful, and certainly not the worst coach in the history of the program. I know many would disagree with this characterization. When he had a lot of talent and experience, like years 1, 2, and 4, the results were good. These factors masked some of his coaching deficiencies. When CSP lacked lots of talent and experience, his coaching abilities were exposed, and the results were poor. He was unable to coach them up or make them team play above their talent level and experience. To paraphrase Warren Buffet, “It’s not until the tide goes out until you see who is swimming naked.” Ultimately, the results the last three years is on CSP and he needs to be let go. I do believe the CSP is a high character guy, but at the end of the day, it’s a results driven game.