Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Or teams like UConn or North Carolina. The Prohm apologists are still the Prohm apologists because they can’t admit being wrong.

Uconn was an 8 or 9 seed the year we beat them. North Carolina was a 6.

The 2016 team earned a 4 seed. It’s not their fault that an upset occurred. They earned the right for that to happen.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

The 2016 team earned a 4 seed. It’s not their fault that an upset occurred. They earned the right for that to happen.
Doesn’t change the fact that Steve Prohm never beat a high major team in the NCAA Tournament. And that, my friends, is all about coaching.

Reactions: socalcy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Doesn’t change the fact that Steve Prohm never beat a high major team in the NCAA Tournament. And that, my friends, is all about coaching.

That my friend is all about opportunities. Prohm also never lost to a low major in the tournament. Unlike the previous coach.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Yeah, but it is Steve Prohm's fault that he isn't Fred Hoiberg though.

:jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
That my friend is all about opportunities.
No, when faced with a team with high major talent the opponents coach tipped the game in their favor. One thing you can say about Prohm is he’s about the luckiest man alive. Who else could possibly have their job saved by a worldwide pandemic?

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It means there is a group of people on this site that continually talked about how Fred basically screwed Prohm, in his second year, by not leaving him a good enough 7th man and that's utterly absurd.

I thought it was more the first year. Prohm did a pretty good job rebuilding the bench his second years. Nick, Donovan, and Darrell Bowie (all in 20ish minute doses) are one of the stronger benches we've had recently.

Hoiberg left six all-stars for his first team, but that turned into five when Naz had to shut it down. I think the ceiling on that season would have dropped without Naz even had Hoiberg stuck around for one more season.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I thought it was more the first year. Prohm did a pretty good job rebuilding the bench his second years. Nick, Donovan, and Darrell Bowie (all in 20ish minute doses) are one of the stronger benches we've had recently.

Hoiberg left six all-stars for his first team, but that turned into five when Naz had to shut it down. I think the ceiling on that season would have dropped without Naz even had Hoiberg stuck around for one more season.
In no way ever did Fred hamper Steve. Steve’s inability to recruit even a single impact player for 2 years was not Fred’s fault. It was like Steve had zero recruiting targets at Murray before he left. Fred didn’t even have a coaching job before coming here but managed to recruit the program changer in his first year.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Jameel was mad he had to go to class. He was in the same 9am international perspectives elective class I was in, and I noticed that whenever he would skip class, he would be suspended the next game. He was not in class several times.

Basically he was upset that someone was holding him accountable.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
There’s plenty of things to harp on Prohm for, but ******** about NCAA matchups is silly. The coach doesn’t have any control over that. An upset happened. So what?

Do you think K-State fans were upset when UMBC upset Virginia in 18? Or were they happy they had an easier game to get their team to the second weekend?

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
There’s plenty of things to harp on Prohm for, but ******** about NCAA matchups is silly. The coach doesn’t have any control over that. An upset happened. So what?

Do you think K-State fans were upset when UMBC upset Virginia in 18? Or were they happy they had an easier game to get their team to the second weekend?
Just facts. No tourney wins over high major opponents. That directly correlates to coaching ability.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In no way ever did Fred hamper Steve. Steve’s inability to recruit even a single impact player for 2 years was not Fred’s fault. It was like Steve had zero recruiting targets at Murray before he left. Fred didn’t even have a coaching job before coming here but managed to recruit the program changer in his first year.

I think "hamper" would be the wrong word. While Hoiberg certainly left a good roster behind, I am not sure it was (1.) quite as good as we thought, given its limited depth, especially after Naz called it a season, and its continuing inability to play defense and rebound to the degree the teams that win P6 conference championships and make the Final Four tend to do, and (2.) it certainly wasn't built to last much more than one more season.

I am not sure if the kind of player you recruit to an OVC school is what you want in the Big 12.

You are right Fred did quite a good job bringing in impact guys early in his career, but (1.) Ejim was a holdover from McDermott/really a TJ guy, (2.) most of those guys were redshirts, not immediately eligible save Jake Anderson, (3.) Fred had the whole offseason, while Prohm was hired pretty late, and (4.) Fred managed to play Moneyball with the transfer market in the early 2010s, and by the time we hired Prohm, everybody was wise to it.

Prohm did bring in some good/impact guys for the season year, though. He rebuilt a strong bench behind the four Hoiberg guys with DJax, NWB, and Bowie, and he found an effective big man in Solomon.

It was after that things started to turn south.

Last edited: