Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The rumors are a couple donors would fund Prohms buyout, so that wouldn't affect the bottom line for the AD.

I can see that being a requirement for JP with the COVID financial losses being the primary issue across the athletics department. Something's gotta give.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’d love to hear how you can justify bringing back a coach that may have just gone 0-18 in conference play, finished 9th or 10th in the league 3 out of 4 years, with very limited hope of significant improvement for next year after getting handed the program in the best shape it had ever been.

And if you can’t find $5 million to reset the program, then Pollard is just as responsible for cratering the basketball program as Steve Prohm with that awful contract extension.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don’t know why people would be shocked by this. Our team absolutely sucks but there’s more to just firing him like the financial side of it. If we can afford it, ok. But I don’t want it strapping down the FB program in any way.
The thousands of people that won’t show up next year in Hilton will definitely hurt worse than the 5 million dollar buyout. Also the longer you keep a bad coach that can sell no hope to the fans, then that becomes a yearly loss until change is made and things go in the right direction.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just heard this from a guy that hits on probably 50/50 on the rumors he tells me. He’s hearing that Prohm isn’t going to just go along with this “mutual parting” and Pollard is worried about shaking up the AD and affecting football in front of a potentially huge 2021 season.
This is what I've thought all along. If Campbell has that magical year JP wants every $ available to retain the great asset Iowa State will ever have.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Sadly this is what I expect. Whittle down the buyout one more year, hopefully have a good fall in terms of cash flow. I still don't see how there is any way he should be back if he goes winless in the conference.

Reactions: clone2003

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Back with a "major staff shakeup" doesn't sound cheap either.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s not a zero-sum game, as others have pointed out. I do have complete confidence in our AD to have plenty of numbers and projections and make the right choice.
I agree. I just don’t want any chance taken unless the numbers make sense of letting anything happen to the football program in any way.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can promise you that the donor money is there for the buyout, I know that very well. In fact, there is more likely a lack of donor money for other things if he is retained.

Big donors hate losing just as much as the rest of us as they look at the money as a sort of investment. They don’t want to feel like they’re continuing to step up and not get reciprocal commitment.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can promise you that the donor money is there for the buyout, I know that very well. In fact, there is more likely a lack of donor money for other things if he is retained.

Big donors hate losing just as much as the rest of us as they look at the money as a sort of investment. They don’t want to feel like they’re continuing to step up and not get reciprocal commitment.
So how many million are you donating for the buyout? 3? 4? :cool: