Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I, for one, don't think CSP needs to go for 2 reasons, one bball and one football. We need to be fiscal tightwads due to Covid and for the contract upgrades and extensions after the upcoming football season. Doing a buyout now is not advisable.

Basketball wise CSP needs another year. Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Coaching is somewhat overrated, it's the players. CSP can get the players and without the early departures to the NBA or Covid it would be a different discussion.

Flame away!
Does every other team in the league get to keep their NBA players also, or just us? Sure we would be better, but so would other teams. Jarrett culver left texas tech early. What about texas, can they have mo bamba and jaxson hayes back? They are both still top 25 teams even with losing players.

Didn't Foster say his initial plan was something like 2 years max in college? He chose us specifically because we get guys to the pros. Are we 4 years from now going to act all gloomy and talk about how great we could be if he was here playing? And act like the coach couldn't possibly have known he would leave and to plan for it?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Who did tj work for? Prohm doesnt get credit for solomon then. Meaning prohm has had zero highschool recruits make it to their senior year. Who did a better job recruiting highschool players if that is the case?

Not arguing that. TJ was acting as though he was going to be head coach and recruited Nick N.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I would like to know how people come up with some of there info. I have heard from people that claim to be in the know and/or claim they have good sources anything from Prohm was fired 2 weeks ago to he will be here for 2 more seasons.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would like to know how people come up with some of there info. I have heard from people that claim to be in the know and/or claim they have good sources anything from Prohm was fired 2 weeks ago to he will be here for 2 more seasons.

Ask yourself this—if you were a donor or someone with access to insider information would you tell 90% of the people on this board jack ****?

No, you would not. I suspect 99% of the people here who claim to have insider information are being told whatever the person wants them to hear.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Not arguing that. TJ was acting as though he was going to be head coach and recruited Nick N.
I just assume that is how it opperates most places. Coach Small is Prohms lead recruiter. I imagine he does a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to recruiting. maybe the nick n situation was different, and hoiberg was not involved and nick knew hoiberg wouldnt be coach. i dont have any insider information. I just figure most recruits are recruited by the assistant coaches first and foremost.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Now do the one where Prohm preemptively caused Fred to lose the UAB game. Seems like the only thing that's been left out of these great proofs.

Then, please step back and realize Prohm clearly should be let go, regardless of who called it the day he was hired. All who want to can take the credit for it - congrats on your soothsaying. The day the new coach is hired, please clearly state your position on him here, so you can point back to it and state how correct you were. Geesh. Just let it go.

If somehow Prohm is kept on for next year, maybe start a new string then. Otherwise, maybe we can all just focus on the future and the new coach.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Actually he has 4 guys in the pros that would be starting for us this season.
Was never going to happen. There is some pretty silly revisionist history on this board!
  • Wigginton was very vocal prior to his freshman year that he wanted to be the first hoops player from Novia Scotia in the NBA. He put his name in for NBA draft evaluation after his freshman year. If the NBA had said Wigginton was ready after his freshman year, he would have been gone. Wigginton left ISU after his sophomore year, not based on any promise by NBA that he would be drafted. At the time, the discussion on this board was Wigginton's relationship with Prohm was strained because he was coming off the bench.
  • Horton-Tucker jumped to the NBA after his freshman year, even though he wasn't a lottery pick. He obviously came to Iowa State with a short-term view on his college career. So how does it make sense to think THT would have been 3 years at ISU.
  • Halliburton to the NBA so early was unexpected. After all, even Halliburton thought he might redshirt his freshman year. But once Halliburton played for the USA Basketball U19 team during the summer of 2019, he was projected as a lottery pick. So plenty of time for Prohm to find a solid PG by the 2020/21 season.
Wigginton and Horton-Tucker were NEVER going to be 4 or 3 year players at ISU.

The Cyclones are winless in Big 12 play not because the 3 guys above are in the NBA or G-League. The Cyclones are winless because:
  • Steve Prohm's 7 high school recruits on this year's roster have averaged 28.2 ppg. in Big12 play this season.
  • The following 6 players from the last 4 recruiting cycles washed out after playing a total of 8 years at ISU.
    • Grill
    • Anderson
    • Leech
    • Griffin
    • Lewis
    • Lard (enrolled ISU spring semester 2017
I would argue that the latter group of 6 washouts are the reason ISU is winless in Big12 play and not the loss of Wigginton, Horton-Tucker and Halliburton. Who were all replaceable by the 2020/21 season!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I thought it was more the first year. Prohm did a pretty good job rebuilding the bench his second years. Nick, Donovan, and Darrell Bowie (all in 20ish minute doses) are one of the stronger benches we've had recently.

Hoiberg left six all-stars for his first team, but that turned into five when Naz had to shut it down. I think the ceiling on that season would have dropped without Naz even had Hoiberg stuck around for one more season.

Unless Biefeldt and whatever other guys were rumored had come aboard.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Clayton Custer, I think.

I do think that monte’s class was the last time Hoiberg cared to recruit high school kids.

And saying Fred recruited Monte is somewhat farsicle, because he wanted to go to Sparty, Izzo didnt have room, but didnt want him at Michigan so Izzo pointed him towards Fred and ISU.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Unless Biefeldt and whatever other guys were rumored had come aboard.

CW said Max Bielfeldt wanted to commit to Iowa State, but he was hesitant when we literally did not have a head coach at the time, so he moved on. He would have been nice depth behind Niang and McKay, but I think he more raises that team floor than its ceiling. That is really the only one that I can remember. We were never getting Diallo.

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
And saying Fred recruited Monte is somewhat farsicle, because he wanted to go to Sparty, Izzo didnt have room, but didnt want him at Michigan so Izzo pointed him towards Fred and ISU.
Don’t think that is completely accurate as Izzo offered Monte late but he was already committed to ISU. Nvm as it may have been Mich

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Just read a story on Hawk Central that Roy Marble advised Monte Morris to attend ISU. Said some nice things about ISU, Fred Hoiberg and Barry Stephens. He told Monte Morris that the state of Iowa has been very good to Flint, MI players. I'm sure he would have pushed him to go to Iowa but said Iowa wasn't recruiting a point guard this year but still wanted him to go to a school in Iowa and pushed for ISU. I think he's a pretty good player and will develop into a good/possibly great player. Congrats to ISU for landing him!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Don’t think that is completely accurate as Izzo offered Monte late but he was already committed to ISU. Nvm as it may have been Mich

Yep, Izzo took a PG early and didn't have room. Izzo and Fred have been friends for a long time (see Lucious and Babb coming to ISU after getting kicked out of MSU) and Fred's kid walking on at Sparty. Michigan offered late after already he committed, as they slow played MM, Izzo did not want him in Ann Arbor.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07