anyone else heard a REALLY BAD rumor

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If Cael leaves it seems like a pretty clear sign that something is really rotten in the athletic department. Seriously, if we can't keep a guy like this what can we do?

It's not the athletic department's fault if they offer him an outrageous amount of money. If they have a donor or two willing to pony up millions of dollars, everyone has a price.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If Cael leaves it seems like a pretty clear sign that something is really rotten in the athletic department. Seriously, if we can't keep a guy like this what can we do?

Well, we take a huge hit in national prestige, that's for sure. Wrestling is our claim to fame, and Cael Sanderson is our poster boy.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Well, we take a huge hit in national prestige, that's for sure. Wrestling is our claim to fame, and Cael Sanderson is our poster boy.

We've already taken the hit. No matter what happens, this is going to hurt. The person who has it shittiest....Pollard. He ain't sleeping tonight, and I'll betcha his phone battery is about dead from all the calls he had to make today.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
It's not the athletic department's fault if they offer him an outrageous amount of money. If they have a donor or two willing to pony up millions of dollars, everyone has a price.
I agree to a point but if ISU is truly one of the top wrestling programs in the country (which they are) they will keep their coach if he's happy there. How many times do you see a top coach in football or basketball leave one of the traditional powerhouses?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree to a point but if ISU is truly one of the top wrestling programs in the country (which they are) they will keep their coach if he's happy there. How many times do you see a top coach in football or basketball leave one of the traditional powerhouses?

Well, there WAS a guy named Johnny Orr, who, after winning a national title at Michigan, left to come here, a place with absolutely no basketball tradition, because we ponied up the $$$ - just sayin'...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

From what people who know Cael tell me, it can't be about the money. If he really is considering Penn State, he must be feeling a bond with the administration that he doesn't here. Just sayin'.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, there WAS a guy named Johnny Orr, who, after winning a national title at Michigan, left to come here, a place with absolutely no basketball tradition, because we ponied up the $$$ - just sayin'...
Orr never won a national title at Michigan. Also, Michigan didn't seem very interested in keeping him, as he had a couple of mediocre years there and the pressure was mounting...

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

You don't see it now because it would be really hard to throw enough money at a top football or basketball coach. Don't you think $100 million over 5 years would get the attention of Pete Carroll? That would be the kind of money needed if the 5x offer to Cael is accurate.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
You don't see it now because it would be really hard to throw enough money at a top football or basketball coach. Don't you think $100 million over 5 years would get the attention of Pete Carroll? That would be the kind of money needed if the 5x offer to Cael is accurate.
But, still, that's just a number someone threw out there and USC would probably match or at least come close enough that Pete Carroll would never leave.

Right now Jamie is doing everything he can to get Cael to stay. If he's happy here it will be enough. If he's not happy then nothing will be enough.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Who are your sources?

It's your AD over in IC that has SERIOUS issues. His football program is the laughing stock of college football. They are known everywhere as the new Miami Hurricane's of college football. And his basketball program.... do they even still have one left?

Yeah I don't think a few PAULAs and PIs are quite getting the nationwide scrutiny you think they are. If they are the Hurricane's, they are a rookie league Hurricane's. They won 9 games last year and have a lot of talent returning. I don't think there are too many laughs beyond a few chuckles.

And apparently they do have a hoops program because they beat ours this past season. And our wrestling team. And our football team. And our women's basketball team.

Furthemore, their AD is on very solid footing financially while ours needs subsidy from the school and his hemorraging money thanks to Pollard.

If their AD has "serious issues" I don't know what that makes ours. On life support?

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Yeah I don't think a few PAULAs and PIs are quite getting the nationwide scrutiny you think they are. If they are the Hurricane's, they are a rookie league Hurricane's. They won 9 games last year and have a lot of talent returning. I don't think there are too many laughs beyond a few chuckles.

And apparently they do have a hoops program because they beat ours this past season. And our wrestling team. And our football team. And our women's basketball team.

Furthemore, their AD is on very solid footing financially while ours needs subsidy from the school and his hemorraging money thanks to Pollard.

If their AD has "serious issues" I don't know what that makes ours. On life support?

welcome to cyclonefanatic, hawkeye fan.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Yeah right. Just cuz I don't guzzle the kool aid.

Such a crafty devil. :: ISUboi12 smiles and puts hand on head and ruffles hair ::

Now go play with your friends DJK and Southernhawk and give us more of the "know" about Caels inside issues with the administration.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Good, SPOONER signed off. Back to your regularly scheduled Cyclone Athletics Meltdown.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Aaaand because you just joined CF when this story came out, and since that time you've made four anti-ISU posts. Give up, no one believes you.:no:

Anti-ISU? I don't think so. Anti-some of the goings on? You better believe it. Who isn't sick about this?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Who are your sources?

All Hawkeye fans hate Pollard... which is how it should be. I'd be worried if Hawkeye fans liked our AD.

It's your AD over in IC that has SERIOUS issues. His football program is the laughing stock of college football. They are known everywhere as the new Miami Hurricane's of college football. And his basketball program.... do they even still have one left?

Looks like my sources knew what they were talking about, eh?

Known everywhere as the Miami Hurricanes of college football? I'm pretty sure the actual Miami Hurricanes are known as the Miami Hurricanes:biglaugh:.

Iowa on the other hand is known as the only Big Ten team to win their bowl game last year, the team who upset Penn State and the team who plastered Minnesota 55-0.

Laughing stock of college football? I think you should worry about your own team...come back in another 4 years, maybe you will have won a road game by then.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron