Anybody else miss Mike Leach being in the Big 12?

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Loved the old Big 8 MBB days too for those old enough to remember--colorful coaches

Johnny Orr
Billy Tubbs
Larry Brown
Danny Nee
Norm Stewart
Eddie Sutton

~Regarding Leach, he is an offensive genius. My friend used to golf with him and former Gov Vilsack when he worked in Mt Pleasant,IA

Leach was an asst coach @ Iowa Weslyan, under Hal Mumm--later the head coach of Kentucky (QB Tim Couch). Needless to say that NAIA team led the country in total offense for a yr or two

Last edited:

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I always looked forward to hearing what Leach had to say. Never knew what the topic was going to be. But, it was always entertaining.

Glad he is coaching somewhere so we still get to enjoy his wit and wisdom. Glad it is not in the Big 12 so our defense dose not have to face him.

Also a big heck yes to that lineup of old Big 8 MBB coaches. They all were a bunch of very entertaining characters.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No, Texas Tech was a much better team when he was there. Glad he is still in college football though.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
No, kind of glad he is gone. We have only 1 or 2 wins against Tech while he was the head coach. After his time as head coach we are 2-3 including a curb stomping in their own house... Ill take a Leach-less Tech any day of the week.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
No, kind of glad he is gone. We have only 1 or 2 wins against Tech while he was the head coach. After his time as head coach we are 2-3 including a curb stomping in their own house... Ill take a Leach-less Tech any day of the week.

Yep - the only way I want to see Leach back in the Big xii is as CPR's OC.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Loved the old Big 8 MBB days too for those old enough to remember--colorful coaches

Johnny Orr
Billy Tubbs
Larry Brown
Danny Nee
Norm Stewart
Eddie Sutton

~Regarding Leach, he is an offensive genius. My friend used to golf with him and former Gov Vilsack when he worked in Mt Pleasant,IA

Leach was an asst coach @ Iowa Weslyan, under Hal Mumm--later the head coach of Kentucky (QB Tim Couch). Needless to say that NAIA team led the country in total offense for a yr or two

The Big 8 in those days was in it's hey day. Those coaches had a big part in it. Most years there were 7 of the 8 teams that were competent to very good. Even Danny Nee's Nebraska teams were good.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You don't have as many "characters" in coaching anymore. Too much media and it's 24/7. Too much pressure to not say the wrong thing, too much pressure to fire guys who do say something "wrong". Too much money involved to risk getting fired. Coaches just can't let their guard down anymore.

WRT the OP - I am glad he is gone, just from a win-loss perspective. Sometimes "can't wait until you are gone" is an expression of respect. Same with Snyder and K-State.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Johnny Orr
Billy Tubbs
Larry Brown
Danny Nee
Norm Stewart
Eddie Sutton

Don't forget their WR Dana Holgerson who followed Hal to Kentucky as a grad assistant). I played at Wesleyan a few years later with a number of guys who played for and/or were recruited by Leach. He opened up the Samoan and Tongan pipeline to Weslyan that produced among others Patrick Agaufa (ISU Center after he transfered) and Iowa D-lineman Epinesa Epinesa (or Happy as we called him). Christie Vilsack was my Composition and Rhetoric professor.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Don't forget their WR Dana Holgerson who followed Hal to Kentucky as a grad assistant). I played at Wesleyan a few years later with a number of guys who played for and/or were recruited by Leach. He opened up the Samoan and Tongan pipeline to Weslyan that produced among others Patrick Agaufa (ISU Center after he transfered) and Iowa D-lineman Epinesa Epinesa (or Happy as we called him). Christie Vilsack was my Composition and Rhetoric professor.

good stuff iaStubborn. I believe Leach made IA Wesleyan QB or WR an NAIA all-American too during those glory years

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
good stuff iaStubborn. I believe Leach made IA Wesleyan QB or WR an NAIA all-American too during those glory years
Bruce Carter (wr) and Dustin Dewald (qb) were both all americans, so was Wayland Rucker (giant running back) sekily wiley and Happy.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Johnny Orr
Billy Tubbs
Larry Brown
Danny Nee
Norm Stewart
Eddie Sutton

As a Browns fan, can you please refrain from using this name?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Leach is my all-time favorite coach, after Rhoads.

I'm in the "miss his flavor, don't miss his ***-whoopin's" crowd. Wazzu is a great place for him to be, as far as I'm concerned. I can root for him with out his success coming to my school's detriment.

KingBling

Jul 7, 2013
I dont miss Leach one bit, including the 3 years with Tubs. I just think times have changed, and he needs to adapt, and hes too stubborn, and arrogant to adapt...plus his recruiting was really lacking.

Great head coach? NO! Tech got overly embarassed in big games with the exception of a couple, and he made his living off a patsy ooc schedule.

We will see how he does at WSU before we call Leach a great head coach, and a great/good Head Coach can still win at WSU.

Hes a good OC, but I think thats about it.

He just doesnt do what great head coaches should do for the SCHOOL (recruit well, win conference championships, play in bcs games, etc).

JMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron