Anybody drive to Canada lately?

LSGOST8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2011
Ames
No eggs or poultry is allowed in this year due to Bird Flu. Potatoes have been fine for a long time now. When returning to the US, they dont want you to bring any fruits and vegetables back.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Someone in our travel party had an assault conviction from the 70s in the states and had to pay a crossing fee of $1000
I do know them Canadians frown on any kind of no no's on your record. But that just seems like extorsion. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: madguy30

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No eggs or poultry is allowed in this year due to Bird Flu. Potatoes have been fine for a long time now. When returning to the US, they dont want you to bring any fruits and vegetables back.
yeah, food, and critters of any kind is always hit or miss. Always want to check what is allowed before you try to bring something you thought was fine either there or back. Like alcohol has limits, and not as much as you might think. Trying to come home with a few cases of Labatt Blue might not work.

Beach sand, sea shells, etc are all a no go, to come back, if you are found with it.

Be careful if you have any kinds of self defense items, radar detectors, pepper spray, tasers, clubs, and of course guns etc. Most are banned in Canada or at least not allowed for visitors, and I dont think they take too kindly to people "accidentally" trying to bring them.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I am headed to Saskatchewan in August and just realized my passport is way expired. Please tell me my gold star driver's license will get me into and back out of Canada.
Times have surely changed since I was last in Canada, a couple of times between 1980 and '95. No passport needed, no border guards that I can even remember (there might have been). I guess things all started changing after 9/11, and maybe a couple of other 'triggers' since.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2speedy1

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Thank you for the help all. I have started the process for an expedited passport. Sounds like it will cost me $300 but should be back within 1-4 weeks.

You can get same day/next day at certain offices if proof of urgent travel. Had a work trip come up out of blue and my passport had been damaged so had to go this route.

5-6 places in US that can do so with Minneapolis being closest. Relatively easy to do so and think they printed it off within the hour I waited.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Thank you for the help all. I have started the process for an expedited passport. Sounds like it will cost me $300 but should be back within 1-4 weeks.
I also paid $300 for an expedited passport this past May and it took 4 wks. I also paid up to overnight my expired passport to the Philly and overnight the new one back. Good luck because you're going to need a passport.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I am headed to Saskatchewan in August and just realized my passport is way expired. Please tell me my gold star driver's license will get me into and back out of Canada.
Why on earth are you going to Saskatchewan in August? By the way, this is coming from someone who has been to Saskatchewan in August.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Why on earth are you going to Saskatchewan in August? By the way, this is coming from someone who has been to Saskatchewan in August.
I visited during the first week of September. It wasn’t bad just need to remember to pack a raincoat.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The only way to get into Canada without a passport is with a Global Entry or Nexus ID, or an Enhanced Drivers License (NOT THE SAME AS REAL ID).

EDLs are issued in Minnesota, NY, Vermont, Michigan and Washington.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Times have surely changed since I was last in Canada, a couple of times between 1980 and '95. No passport needed, no border guards that I can even remember (there might have been). I guess things all started changing after 9/11, and maybe a couple of other 'triggers' since.

Good luck.
There were definitely guards back then and they would pull random cars to the side and do a vehicle search. At least in the Niagara Falls area there was.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Nothing beats a good Iowa Potato with a nice steak from Idaho! / sarcasm

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

FYI that expediting passports is something that your member of Congress or Grassley/Ernst office can actually help you with. If you have travel coming up quickly they can get you connected to the people who actually make things move fast on passports.

With your travel in August this probably won’t matter for you. Im talking about someone realized they lost their passport and they need to go to Asia or Europe in 3 days kind of situation.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
You will likely have to pay extra and travel some to a location to have it renewed. You don't have much time.