Anybody drive to Canada lately?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I am headed to Saskatchewan in August and just realized my passport is way expired. Please tell me my gold star driver's license will get me into and back out of Canada.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Just got back from Canada on a fishing trip. You need a passport to get into and out of the country. The boarder agent asked for the passports of everyone in our vehicle when arriving and departing. Regarding vaccination cards, they did not ask for those, but we had them handy.

There is an App called Arrive Canada that you need to get. You enter all the required information on the App within 72 hours of arrival. This includes a photo of your passport, vaccination information, where you are heading, etc. This may be why they did not ask for our vaccination cards.

I suggest that you look into getting a passport ASAP or postpone your trip.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My brothers recently returned from a fishing trip. They loaded all information on Arrive Can and had the smoothest crossing ever.

My passport has expired but I am trying to be blissfully ignorant about it. My crazy in-laws live up there. Afraid husband is going to want to go soon and maybe I can stay home with the dog and my expired passport. Last time we were there was Thanksgiving before Covid. With his mother’s mobility worse, the people that wound up cooking Thanksgiving dinner were all the outlaws, me and the two guys that married my husband’s sisters. While the rest were arguing over who would do what, we just went and did it. It is always miserable.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In Minnesota you can get an Enhanced Drivers License that allows you to travel back and forth to Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries (ground or marine crossing only) without your passport.

I don't know what is available in Iowa.

EDIT: Apparently only available in a very limited number of states:

Reactions: besserheimerphat

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You can get a passport card, for ground transport to and from Canada, but it is really pointless, as it has all the same requirements to get a passport. Just cheaper and in the form of a card, like a license. They dont last for as long and they dont work for air/sea travel, and not to any other countries.

Basically if you plan to do any other travel ever you might as well get a Passport. But the card is useful if you plan on many trips in and out of Canada, that you would benefit in a card you can carry in a wallet.

Also there are other things to be aware of, like certain driving records they will flag and not let in. If you have a OWI conviction or even arrest you probably won't get in, except for a couple of very specific circumstances. I have had friends and coworkers turned back for this. They consider anyone with a DUI/OWI undesirable and criminally inadmissible.

Passports have been required since shortly after 9/11 for travel in/out of Canada.

Reactions: aauummm

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
I am headed to Saskatchewan in August and just realized my passport is way expired. Please tell me my gold star driver's license will get me into and back out of Canada.
Crossed very recently, definitely need a passport. You can easily get one by August via expedited application, MAYBE regular application. USPO can tell you when you get your photo taken, you can take your own photo but they're getting really picky, better just to pay the USPO to do it.

As others have said, need to also fill out ArriveCAN. Are pretty much required to be vaccinated.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Headed North on Next Tuesday-

What Food (Fruits/Veggies) can you bring across?
Some sites say yes to fruits/Veggie, others are not clear, other maybe say No (but maybe that is only for commercial amounts of produce?).
Main questions are potatoes, onions, peppers, hopefully some sweet corn?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Headed North on Next Tuesday-

What Food (Fruits/Veggies) can you bring across?
Some sites say yes to fruits/Veggie, others are not clear, other maybe say No (but maybe that is only for commercial amounts of produce?).
Main questions are potatoes, onions, peppers, hopefully some sweet corn?
I know my brothers had their potatoes thrown out maybe a decade ago

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You can get a passport card, for ground transport to and from Canada, but it is really pointless, as it has all the same requirements to get a passport. Just cheaper and in the form of a card, like a license. They dont last for as long and they dont work for air/sea travel, and not to any other countries.

Basically if you plan to do any other travel ever you might as well get a Passport. But the card is useful if you plan on many trips in and out of Canada, that you would benefit in a card you can carry in a wallet.

Also there are other things to be aware of, like certain driving records they will flag and not let in. If you have a OWI conviction or even arrest you probably won't get in, except for a couple of very specific circumstances. I have had friends and coworkers turned back for this. They consider anyone with a DUI/OWI undesirable and criminally inadmissible.

Passports have been required since shortly after 9/11 for travel in/out of Canada.

My relative with three Iowa DUI's crossed the bridge with my family and I at Niagara Falls on our way to Toronto. It was never asked or offered.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I noticed my passport expired and sent in for a new one 6 weeks ago. I didn’t do the extra money for faster delivery since I don’t need it yet. However, u might want to go get the application sent in asap and do the fast track version

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
My relative with three Iowa DUI's crossed the bridge with my family and I at Niagara Falls on our way to Toronto. It was never asked or offered.
Wow really, I know a couple people that have been turned around. I believe they had fairly recent ones, as within a couple years, so was fresh on their driving record, so I am sure it came up when they ran their licence, which could be how they saw it. Might be different from being the driver/car owner vs a passenger. I am also wondering if it is now being caught more with all the passports etc.

You even see it on most web sites when you google entry into Canada etc. That having a OWI makes it unlikely that you will be allowed in. Then again it could just depend on catching the right official etc.

I will say I havent been to Canada for several years, And have never had a OWI nor have I had any issue with entry or exit. But it was amazing hearing from coworkers etc that had trouble.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Wow really, I know a couple people that have been turned around. I believe they had fairly recent ones, as within a couple years, so was fresh on their driving record, so I am sure it came up when they ran their licence, which could be how they saw it. Might be different from being the driver/car owner vs a passenger. I am also wondering if it is now being caught more with all the passports etc.

You even see it on most web sites when you google entry into Canada etc. That having a OWI makes it unlikely that you will be allowed in. Then again it could just depend on catching the right official etc.

I will say I havent been to Canada for several years, And have never had a OWI nor have I had any issue with entry or exit. But it was amazing hearing from coworkers etc that had trouble.
Someone in our travel party had an assault conviction from the 70s in the states and had to pay a crossing fee of $1000

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

It was 2017, he was a passenger, we presented passports only and all passports were scanned. The most recent DUI would have been at least 7 years before that. Maybe the agent was just being nice. She was cute and kind of mean, in other words, perfect.