Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
At least our fan base is better than northwestern. They were undefeated #16 played top 5 team and half the crowd was Ohio St. Truly sad how little their fan base cares there.
I heard Michael Wilbon (NW alum) on the radio state that of the 12 current Big10 schools, NW has fewer alums in the Chicagoland area than all but PSU. If that's truly the case, I have a hard time faulting NW for not filling the stadium.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I heard Michael Wilbon (NW alum) on the radio state that of the 12 current Big10 schools, NW has fewer alums in the Chicagoland area than all but PSU. If that's truly the case, I have a hard time faulting NW for not filling the stadium.
I believe it. I live in Chicago and work in Winnetka, so I drive past the Northwestern campus every day to work. I see more cars with Iowa, Wisconsin, ND, Indiana, and Michigan stickers/license plate frames than I do Northwestern.

Aug 14, 2009
They also have absolutely pathetic fans, yet somehow get better recruiting classes than both of us this year and last. Most of their games, their stadium will be half empty, even when they are ranked. I will say Fitz is a great coach, and obviously knows how to get the most out of his team, with 3 star skill guys like Colter, Venric, Lawrence, and Siemian all playing extremely well.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I wouldn't list any of those players as an athlete that is more talented than what ISU has gotten in the past. None of those guys rely on talent or athleticism. They are hard workers with high football IQs.

Especially Washington. Rhoads has repeatedly said that while he is not that big or fast he is an extremely intelligent football player.

Especially with that Troy Davis BS, you are making **** up.

Wimberly more talented than Troy Davis? You are crazy.

You need to realize that most people don't understand what talent in football is. They see a guy with a fast 40 time or vertical and think they are talented. Davis was tremendously talented. He had unbelievable balance, vision, change of direction, and strength. He was talented in every way an RB needs to be except breakaway speed. If people watched the NFL combine they would be shocked at how slow some of the best college skill position players are. They would also be surprised to see these guys that test out with great measureables that are worthless stiffs. Troy Davis lacked straight ahead speed, but he was immensely talented.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I heard Michael Wilbon (NW alum) on the radio state that of the 12 current Big10 schools, NW has fewer alums in the Chicagoland area than all but PSU.

It's NU not NW.

I find that a little hard to believe. Anecdotally (sp?), I have encountered many more NU grads than Minnesota or neb grads and I've lived here 10+years.

Also, Nebraska sucks.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
It's NU not NW.

I find that a little hard to believe. Anecdotally (sp?), I have encountered many more NU grads than Minnesota or neb grads and I've lived here 10+years.

Also, Nebraska sucks.

Lived there 10 years myself and would agree regarding Minnesota and Nebraska. As for the rest, I do believe it. Northwestern classes are a fraction of the size of the other conference schools. That, combined with the number of Chicago-area students at all of the others makes that statement believable. Playing at Northwestern is like homecoming for all the other schools Chicago-based alumni.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You need to realize that most people don't understand what talent in football is. They see a guy with a fast 40 time or vertical and think they are talented. Davis was tremendously talented. He had unbelievable balance, vision, change of direction, and strength. He was talented in every way an RB needs to be except breakaway speed. If people watched the NFL combine they would be shocked at how slow some of the best college skill position players are. They would also be surprised to see these guys that test out with great measureables that are worthless stiffs. Troy Davis lacked straight ahead speed, but he was immensely talented.
He wasn't a burner but he always seemed to be at full speed by the time he hit the L.O.S.. Troy Davis could hit like train, and was a dynamite blocker.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
They also have absolutely pathetic fans, yet somehow get better recruiting classes than both of us this year and last. Most of their games, their stadium will be half empty, even when they are ranked. I will say Fitz is a great coach, and obviously knows how to get the most out of his team, with 3 star skill guys like Colter, Venric, Lawrence, and Siemian all playing extremely well.

Pathetic fans, or smaller fan base? I'll go with the latter.

Aug 14, 2009
Pathetic fans, or smaller fan base? I'll go with the latter.
Their stadium is half empty in a 47,000 seat stadium when they are ranked in the top 25. Once a university has been established for over 100 years, the "small fan base" excuse, isn't relevant.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Replace the word Northwestern with Baylor :)

Yea, Northwestern is a terrible comparison. Kansas State is an outstanding comparison. They have almost no advantage over ISU with the exception of the priximity of better JUCO football in Kansas and Oklahoma.

But to me, examples like Kansas State, Baylor and Northwestern only make me hopeful that one day our program can also achieve success. Kansas State has twice been within a game of playing for a National Championship. If it can happen there, some day the stars can align for us.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I would compare 2001 (or was it '02 with Seneca?) to this years NW team. Quick start, and coming down to earth hard.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I would compare 2001 (or was it '02 with Seneca?) to this years NW team. Quick start, and coming down to earth hard.

yeah this was their year to break out. While they return a lot of players overall next year, Mark and Colter graduate and they are the key weapons on offense. You saw today what that offense looks like without them.