Any reason why we aren't as good as Northwestern?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
More clubs, miles of beaches, close to major airport, a couple hundred thousand single women.

Crowded streets, not a college town, nobody cares about Northwestern Football, a couple hundred thousand single fat guys.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?

81388-newb-seeks-bolt-lambo-door-kit-803anigif_not_sure_if_ser-gif

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
More clubs, miles of beaches, close to major airport, a couple hundred thousand single women.

It is close to Chicago. That's enough to sell to recruits. Iowa has a lot of great stuff but it doesn't have Chicago. Which is a good and bad thing. But I'm guessing more recruits have been sold on Chicago than on Iowans' wholesome values and friendly demeanor.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Why is the north side of Chicago better than Ames?

Are you serious with this?

Chicago has the lake, hot girls, the Cubs (terrible baseball but a fun environment), great bars/restaurants, Rush St., Michigan Ave, and on and on. You name it and it is a short train ride away.

Ames has... Ada Hayden park, dumpy Campustown, North Grand Mall, good schools, low crime, and little traffic.

For families, Ames wins. For 18 year olds who are talented and have options?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Are you serious with this?

Chicago has the lake, hot girls, the Cubs (terrible baseball but a fun environment), great bars/restaurants, Rush St., Michigan Ave, and on and on. You name it and it is a short train ride away.

Ames has... Ada Hayden park, dumpy Campustown, North Grand Mall, good schools, low crime, and little traffic.

For families, Ames wins. For 18 year olds who are talented and have options?

Why did you go to Iowa State?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I wouldn't say you are picking fights but I think you are frustrated, and rightfully so. It's OK, just don't try and find reasons to make yourself ****** at other people.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

My parents, older siblings, friends, and a grandparent (dad's dad) went there. I grew up cheering for the clones. I grew up playing football on the hillsides of (then) Cyclone Stadium. I grew up cheering when Heeere's Johnny was played in Hilton. I wasn't a talented out-of-state recruit with many suitors in my ear.

Why do so many young Iowans leave the state after they graduate? Why does Iowa suffer from the so-called brain drain?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Looking at recruiting rankings over the years, they don't recruit that well. What they do is have a schemes that work, recruit players that fit the schemes, coach them, and have good player development. They also have a good team culture.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Looking at recruiting rankings over the years, they don't recruit that well. What they do is have a schemes that work, recruit players that fit the schemes, coach them, and have good player development. They also have a good team culture.
Thank you. Northwestern doesn't attract much more "talent" than we do. They do have a great coaching staff though.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I am not that young. But given a choice between living in Ames and Evanston, I'd choose Evanston in a heart beat.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You're a special brand of stupid if you think Ames has as many things for young people to do as Chicago. Also the airport being there is nice if your family wants to see you play.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Thank you. Northwestern doesn't attract much more "talent" than we do. They do have a great coaching staff though.

They aren't amazing at recruiting, but they are better than us if you are using rivals rankings as your measuring stick.

Rivals rankings of Northwestern and ISU, respectively.

14 #43, #57
13 #53, #58
12 #60, #87

Last edited:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The better question is why Northwestern sucked so bad in basketball for so long! Not saying they should be great but they should make the tournament occasionally. Their conference may have been tough last year but it has been down for a decade. More than a few easy wins there.