Any good comebacks?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
One just has to know that the Hawk fans don't believe ISU should even exist. So it's hard to throw out a comeback that will get through.

I tend to move away from the football stuff and go right to being the largest school in the state, AAU member, a huge alumni base and money is pouring in for both academics and sports. That last one about the money really chaps them because many fans don't understand how powerful that is, and the big donors believe money is the ONLY true measuring stick.

My Hawkeye buddies were blown away by the impression that stadium made as one drives into the south parking lots. I'm guessing many of the Hawk fans have never set foot in Ames.

Finally, I say ISU is so big now that the Board of Regents doesn't consider ISU a "brother" to anybody, big or otherwise. It is its own entity and must pay enormous attention to what sort of economic impact it has on Iowa and the nation. It will not let ISU falter or EVER be left out of conference alignment talks. With all of that going for ISU, there isn't a major sports conference in the country that wouldn't want us, except of course the BIG with SUI (State University of Iowa) casting a no vote. The Board of Regents may have some say in that someday because of ISU's economic and academic clout.

There is a lot of meat here and it's based on facts and the clout that ISU has in Iowa. That's a killer.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Is a throat punch considered a come back in your book?
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I usually just ignore them. They won't actually listen to you if you have valid factual proof otherwise, so why bother.

I did tell a few guys in my office to enjoy their signature win against Iowa State. They didn't think that was very funny for some reason.

Hell it's the B1G's signature win at this point.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
"Just what is a Hawkeye anyway?"

That will stump 95% of them and give you time to sneak away before they start drooling.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Something like this always gets me a return of "How many bowl games has Iowa State been too?" To which I usually have nothing. I can go with the "stop living in the past" angle but honestly we dont have a comeback for our lack of history. (Note this isnt just Iowa. Nebraska is my most common but also it also happens with Texas schools.)

How many bowl games has the Iowa fan played in? Living vicariously through others achievements is no way to go through life.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There is no reason for a come back. The history of ISU FB is pretty bad. We all know it, and there is no reason to worry or talk about it. Is that 12 win season Iowa had going to help stop OSU on Saturday? Or help Iowa win a bowl game? The future looks pretty good for ISU, that is what has my attention. Even if Campbell were to leave after next year, the team would be light years better off than it was 2 years ago.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
If you want to shut them up all you have to do is remind them what life was like Iowa City before Hayden. Then remimd them that both Hayden and Kirk had opportunities to leave and were courted heavily by other programs and the pros, but they stayed and were paid because of it, not in spite of it.
I’ve found that most hawkeye fans selectively forget anything about Iowa football pre-Hayden. Always good to remind them.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I think it depends on which Hok fan you are talking to. If it's the typical non-grad or Tavernhok, just go online and memorize a few facts about their team. Then, when you encounter the "Cyclones suck" crowd, ask them a question about the Hawkeye team, one of their starters, a particular game, etc. They won't have a clue. Silence and dumbfounded looks always give me satisfaction. Then I almost crack up laughing when the truth eventually comes out, "I don't really follow them that closely." It's the number one excuse for their ignorant arrogance.