Any chance South Dakota State upsets Iowa?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Iowa has had the benefit of playing better teams than us the opener. Steel sharpens steel. Maybe that is why they seem more prepared when we play them. Heck one year they had two games to our one before we played them. An extra 60 reps or so is huge so early in the year.

I don't know about that. They play a better team THIS year, but ISU vs UNI is a much bigger test than most iowa openers. UNI always brings a physical game. ISU seems to struggle in September regardless, but I'd like to see them actually have a cakewalk and get the backups some snaps while keeping everyone healthy for once.

UI/SDSU, I feel like it's going to be close for a half. Third quarter, they open it up due to a pick six or blocked punt or scoop and score. By the fourth quarter, the backups are in. 31-10.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know about that. They play a better team THIS year, but ISU vs UNI is a much bigger test than most iowa openers. UNI always brings a physical game. ISU seems to struggle in September regardless, but I'd like to see them actually have a cakewalk and get the backups some snaps while keeping everyone healthy for once.

UI/SDSU, I feel like it's going to be close for a half. Third quarter, they open it up due to a pick six or blocked punt or scoop and score. By the fourth quarter, the backups are in. 31-10.

Whether people want to face it or not, Iowa is generally very sound fundamentally and ISU tends to lack in that department and it's the difference.

I rewatched last year's game and while things weren't great, it wasn't all bad until ISU melted down and that came down to fundamentals and doing what's needed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’d guess that unless Iowa makes a bunch of mistakes on offense they’ll win. May be uncomfortable for a half er something though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Convincing? They kicked a fg as time expired I almost wish it was Convincing
They were kicking Iowa all over the field. They would have won by 10 or more if their center hadn't hiked the ball 30 feet over the QB's head when NDSU was driving on them late in the game. I was there. It was embarrassing how badly Iowa was getting outplayed.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They were kicking Iowa all over the field. They would have won by 10 or more if their center hadn't hiked the ball 30 feet over the QB's head when NDSU was driving on them late in the game. I was there. It was embarrassing how badly Iowa was getting outplayed.

What was weird is that Iowa was getting beat at their own game.... in the trenches. NDSU was just lining up and playing smashmouth football with the running game and Iowa couldn't stop them.

It was clear as day who was the better football team that day.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa’s defense is one thing but what doesn’t get talked about enough is that Iowa’s offense rarely puts the Iowa defense on a short field. Tory Taylor is a HUGE weapon for Iowa and that Iowa defense isn’t going to give up many long sustained drives against SDSU.

• Winner
Reactions: 7Got6

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Totally comes down to turnovers, if EIU is -2 or -3 in TO's, it could happen, South Dakota is going to need some easy scores for them to win, meaning the EIU offense is going to suck, which it could, for an upset to happen.

EIU should have a very good defense this year, and just like most years, they will get turnovers, and that tends to be in difference in the game.

South Dakota is not like that N. Dokata team that just dominated EIU at the point of attack, they are more of a finesse team, hoping for the big play.
South Dakota State is a run first, physical offense. There's nothing finesse about them. They're just more willing to throw over the top than North Dakota State typically is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa’s defense is one thing but what doesn’t get talked about enough is that Iowa’s offense rarely puts the Iowa defense on a short field. Tory Taylor is a HUGE weapon for Iowa and that Iowa defense isn’t going to give up many long sustained drives against SDSU.

The punting and d can be counted on to an extent, no team can count on scoring as much on interceptions as they did last year even if they had an all American at every secondary and lb position.

It really bailed Petras out a ton.