Any chance South Dakota State upsets Iowa?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Iowa has had the benefit of playing better teams than us the opener. Steel sharpens steel. Maybe that is why they seem more prepared when we play them. Heck one year they had two games to our one before we played them. An extra 60 reps or so is huge so early in the year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa has had the benefit of playing better teams than us the opener. Steel sharpens steel. Maybe that is why they seem more prepared when we play them. Heck one year they had two games to our one before we played them. An extra 60 reps or so is huge so early in the year.

It's because ISU tends to suck in September and Iowa has been better when it mattered.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
They're definitely in the T3 of FCS teams I wouldn't want to play....they could easily have NDSU 2.0 happen to them if they're not focused. Iowa doesn't seem to struggle as badly as we do in September, but the Jacks will be pumped up for this game.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
The Hawks might win by 40 and make this post look stupid, but what do we think? The Jackrabbits are ranked #2 in the preseason FCS poll.
I'm terrified of this game. I'd much rather play SEMO because if you play a fcs team not named North Dakota State you don't get any respect if you win even though there's tough FCS teams out there. We've all seen Iowa and Iowa State struggle with UNI and SDSU is a notch above them. I think this is a single digit game and Iowa should definitely be a popular upset alert pick by the experts week 1

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
The Hawks have almost lost to some team that you would think they would roll on. NDSU got them a few years ago, and did it in convincing fashion. I suspect the Hawk defense is going to be pretty salty and the offense is going to suck, again. The key is turnovers. If Iowa turns it over a couple times, they could be in trouble.
Convincing? They kicked a fg as time expired I almost wish it was Convincing

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don’t know anything about Iowa this year, but I’d think there’s no way their defense scores as much as it did last year. It would probably be pretty hard to have a defense as good anyways, but they never have a bad defense either. You’d also think their offense can’t be any worse. So who knows.

Yeah, I don't think their defensive scores were necessarily flukes, but it's not reliable and hard to repeat season to season. I don't know if I've ever seen a college team where there defense and punter were the actual offense the way Iowa was last year, the Bears were like that a few times in NFL.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Yeah, I don't think their defensive scores were necessarily flukes, but it's not reliable and hard to repeat season to season. I don't know if I've ever seen a college team where there defense and punter were the actual offense the way Iowa was last year, the Bears were like that a few times in NFL.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
South Dakota State is a bit of a paper tiger. They spend a ton more than every other FCS team not named NDSU. They are great at beating inferior teams convincingly but struggle with teams with equal or better talent. For example, they're 6-11 against UNI and 4-8 against Illinois State since they went FCS. Those teams are on their level talent wise but don't have the facilities and budget.

I expect they play with Iowa for a half, maybe 3 quarters but Iowa wins 31-17 or similar.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I'm terrified of this game. I'd much rather play SEMO because if you play a fcs team not named North Dakota State you don't get any respect if you win even though there's tough FCS teams out there. We've all seen Iowa and Iowa State struggle with UNI and SDSU is a notch above them. I think this is a single digit game and Iowa should definitely be a popular upset alert pick by the experts week 1
Yeah, SDSU finished with a higher Sagarin rating than several bowl teams last year. They were ranked higher than all but one team I think in the MAC.

They beat Colorado State last year and led Minnesota going into the 4th quarter back in 2019 before losing by a TD. That Gopher team went 11-2. A few years before that they gave TCU a four quarter game and beat Kansas.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Convincing? They kicked a fg as time expired I almost wish it was Convincing
They dominated the LOS, especially in the 4rth Q. It was absolutely dominating. watch it on you tube.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Totally comes down to turnovers, if EIU is -2 or -3 in TO's, it could happen, South Dakota is going to need some easy scores for them to win, meaning the EIU offense is going to suck, which it could, for an upset to happen.

EIU should have a very good defense this year, and just like most years, they will get turnovers, and that tends to be in difference in the game.

South Dakota is not like that N. Dokata team that just dominated EIU at the point of attack, they are more of a finesse team, hoping for the big play.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Idk. Campbell has never started well.

Reactions: dirtycy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They dominated the LOS, especially in the 4rth Q. It was absolutely dominating. watch it on you tube.
Agreed. They may have won on a last second field goal but they were physically dominating Iowa in Kinnick at the end. Happened to ISU and K-State too around that time period. It's impressive what they did with that program for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy