Any Camera guru's out there?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm far from a guru but

I have a Nikon D5000 that I've been very happy with. I think you want to stick with Nikon or Canon.

My model came with a couple of lenses.

The best money I spent was the $35 I spent for a 5 week SLR class through DM continuing education.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would get a Canon or Nikon as your base. Then you have a lot more choices down the road for lenses. I personally use a Canon T1i, and am very happy with it. It is not as full featured as say a D series, but I purchased two nice lenses for it, and am very happy with the results. I also got a 50mm 1.4 which is so much fun to play with.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Although looks at the specs it looks pretty nice considering it's size. I guess one big question is whether you think you're going to buy additional lenses? Do you plan on ever messing with the settings or will you just stick it on auto?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would get a Canon or Nikon as your base. Then you have a lot more choices down the road for lenses. I personally use a Canon T1i, and am very happy with it. It is not as full featured as say a D series, but I purchased two nice lenses for it, and am very happy with the results. I also got a 50mm 1.4 which is so much fun to play with.

This was the other one I was considering and I would have been just as happy with it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Correct. Sony isn't a bad camera product, I just don't think they can compete with Canon or Nikon.

The Canon T1i is a solid camera body. We also have the 50mm 1.4 lens and is works great - just know it's not the fastest focusing lens - especially in low light.

Keep in mind that unless you get good/great lenses - your camera body will only be able to create the level of portraits your "kit lens" will allow. My best analogy would be someone with 20/20 vision looking thru a dirty window - not the most effective.

Glass is always where I recommend making the investment. Camera bodies come and go - but your lenses should last you forever - the good ones that is.

As far as Canon vs Nikon, generally it's a toss-up. Canon has better glass. Nikon has better flashes. I think the camera bodies are relatively equal - although having been around both, IMO, the Canon menu system is much more intuitive.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with either brand.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Correct. Sony isn't a bad camera product, I just don't think they can compete with Canon or Nikon.

The Canon T1i is a solid camera body. We also have the 50mm 1.4 lens and is works great - just know it's not the fastest focusing lens - especially in low light.

Keep in mind that unless you get good/great lenses - your camera body will only be able to create the level of portraits your "kit lens" will allow. My best analogy would be someone with 20/20 vision looking thru a dirty window - not the most effective.

Glass is always where I recommend making the investment. Camera bodies come and go - but your lenses should last you forever - the good ones that is.

As far as Canon vs Nikon, generally it's a toss-up. Canon has better glass. Nikon has better flashes. I think the camera bodies are relatively equal - although having been around both, IMO, the Canon menu system is much more intuitive.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with either brand.

I agree, I replaced the kit 18-55 with a tamron 17-50 2.8 and wow the difference is incredible. I never have to worry about light or a flash when taking pictures inside. You could tell a huge difference right away.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree, I replaced the kit 18-55 with a tamron 17-50 2.8 and wow the difference is incredible. I never have to worry about light or a flash when taking pictures inside. You could tell a huge difference right away.

Plus, may of the kit lenses are not made nearly as well - both in glass and the housing. The images on the kit lenses are often softer than from a higher quality lens.

If I had to shoot a job and either was forced to use a body like the Canon T1i and a 20-70 2.8L lens vs a Canon 5D Mark II and an average/poor lens - it's a no brainer.

Give me that great lens and "lower quality" body any day.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ok, so not the Sony then. What would be a good model for someone that is mostly just used to a regular digital camera, not a slr? Kind of a beginner model?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
go to photopro by best buy, great people and you get some good stuff when you buy from them. A couple of free classes to learn how to use it if you want and free prints.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
go to photopro by best buy, great people and you get some good stuff when you buy from them. A couple of free classes to learn how to use it if you want and free prints.

I can't say I'd agree with that. I am aware of what free "stuff" Best Buy is pimping.

IMO, much better off buying from B&H Photo, reading the camera manual and printing at mpix.com.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I think there is a resident expert on CF who offers some pretty good classes for beginners. I would check that out before I trusted best buy for anything.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
There are way too many people out there that have SLR camera's and don't know a thing about what they are actually good for, in other words they buy them and leave them on 'auto' or maybe use a couple of the other preset modes. They buy the body plus the basic kit lens and the basic zoom (75-300) for cheap and don't look at anything else...

If you are going to drop money on a SLR camera and actually want to get the quality of pictures you can get out of it you had better be prepared to learn how to use it, ie. using manual or at least aperture/shutter priority. You had also better be prepared to spend more than you did on the body for lenses that put out solid results...

You can still get good results with the kit lens, especially some of the newer kit lenses that are out there, but you can definitely tell the difference when you upgrade to a solid built and quality glass lens...

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I can't say I'd agree with that. I am aware of what free "stuff" Best Buy is pimping.

IMO, much better off buying from B&H Photo, reading the camera manual and printing at mpix.com.

I think there is a resident expert on CF who offers some pretty good classes for beginners. I would check that out before I trusted best buy for anything.

I believe he was talking about this place:

Photo Pro: Photography Today… For Tomorrow

which is located next door to Best Buy in Cedar Rapids. I don't know anything about them just helping with understanding his post.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I have a Canon PowerShot SX20 IS. I absolutely love it. 20x optic zoom w 80x digital. If you look at my past posts of pics I've posted from Football and Basketball the quality speaks for itself. FYI, wife has taken pics of farms, sunsets, etc at 55 mph out passenger window and the image stabilizer work awesome. Oh ya almost forgot, 12.1 megapixel and HD video.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX20IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch Articulating LCD: Camera & Photo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron