anthony pritchard(new LB on roster)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
you don't have to be exceptionally fast to be a LB. Ever see **** Butkus play?

Football has changed a lot since Butkus was roaming the fields. LBers are way more involved in pass coverage and really need to have some closing speed.

Not sure if this kid is the answer, but I like the idea of having a few possibilities at LBer. The last 3 years it seems like there have been starters and maybe one or two guys that fill in as best they can.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
This kid lacks speed. Wouldn't be surprised if he played special teams, but if he is our best option at linebacker, we are in trouble. A switch to DE would be a good spot for him. If he plays DE, I think he could get some playing time.

What are you basing your speed comment on? His profile says 4.6 speed, which, if accurate, I would wager would have made him the fastest LB among the starters on this year's team.

If you're basing the comment on the videos, I don't know what you're looking at.

Reactions: isucy1234

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
He played some safety for Iowa Central, so I think that says something about his speed.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't think you get those accolades without being a damn good player. JUCO colleges have some of the best athletes out there. This kid was supposedly supposed to go to Iowa. If Iowa wanted him as a linebacker, I will take him. Besides we have a lot of unproven guys coming into that position. We could use depth there. If it leads to a redshirt for a freshman who is not really ready then great.

Reactions: isucy1234

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I don't get it...why didn't he go to Iowa then? His grades were not good enough to get into Iowa but are good enough to get into ISU? I don't get it.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
What are you basing your speed comment on? His profile says 4.6 speed, which, if accurate, I would wager would have made him the fastest LB among the starters on this year's team.

If you're basing the comment on the videos, I don't know what you're looking at.

I would agree agree and piggybacking on that..............

1st off 4.6 speed at Lber is fantastic (yes I know it may not be legit) becasue I assure you there are sfty's in the NFL running slower than that and Lbers running in the 4.8's or worse.

2nd there are so many anomalies to this speed thing that it is really hard to decipher what to really think. Anyone watch Shonn Greene roll over a sfty today and then run away from at least 2 other DB's? He ran a high 4.6 something at the combine and I think he did get that into the high 4.5's at his Pro day. Point is per "time" he isn't supposed to be that fast yet those DB's would beg to differ.

I've always read Ray Lewis isn't "fast" yet he seemingly makes every play on the football field. Apparently Jerry Rice ran a best of 4.6 and I've heard it was even lower yet I don't ever remember him getting walked down in his prime.

Honestly either you can make plays in space or you can't. It's really that simple.

Chad

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I don't get it...why didn't he go to Iowa then? His grades were not good enough to get into Iowa but are good enough to get into ISU? I don't get it.

That is what JUCOs are for. To improve your grades so you can get into a big college.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
That is what JUCOs are for. To improve your grades so you can get into a big college.

Yes, I know that. The original post commenting on grades/Iowa confused me a little. It sounded like he still wanted to go to Iowa but didn't make grades. I guess we can assume Iowa does not want him now but ISU does.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
This kid lacks speed. Wouldn't be surprised if he played special teams, but if he is our best option at linebacker, we are in trouble. A switch to DE would be a good spot for him. If he plays DE, I think he could get some playing time.

Looks slow to me too. When I watch a highlight video, I try to imagine the focused player against the best teams on our schedule and I'm not impressed with this guy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yes, I know that. The original post commenting on grades/Iowa confused me a little. It sounded like he still wanted to go to Iowa but didn't make grades. I guess we can assume Iowa does not want him now but ISU does.

Either that or he still doesn't qualify for Iowa. I am pretty sure that Iowa or the Big Ten have higher standards than us or the Big 12. The SEC, on the other hand, runs off the NCAA standards which are lower than other conferences. Look at Big Ten school academically. All of them are pretty solid and a few are very, very good.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008

Looks slow to me too. When I watch a highlight video, I try to imagine the focused player against the best teams on our schedule and I'm not impressed with this guy.
You guys are amazing, you give the guy little or no chance before he has had even 1 practice. First of all xbox they don't put slow guys on special teams. He doesn't have to cover a slot receiver, maybe a back or a TE. Most of the time backers just have to get in a passing lane. He has decent speed for a backer.

Meinhardt4ISU

Oct 6, 2009
NEVADA
Wow I'm disappointed. How can you guys call yourselves cyclone fans. We have had very good luck with our walk on program. If Anthony helps our team in any way that is great. Rag on the kid for coming here and not taking a scholarship. I hope he becomes a great member of THE IOWA STATE CYCLONES.

Reactions: weR138

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville
Either that or he still doesn't qualify for Iowa. I am pretty sure that Iowa or the Big Ten have higher standards than us or the Big 12. The SEC, on the other hand, runs off the NCAA standards which are lower than other conferences. Look at Big Ten school academically. All of them are pretty solid and a few are very, very good.

If he graduates from ICCC w/ his A.A., he is an automatic qualifier for the 3 state schools. Both Iowa and Iowa State do not accept partial qualifiers. No Big 11 school accepts partials, but some Big 12 schools do. Kansas State is one. If an athlete can get into Iowa, he can get into Iowa State and vice-versa.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I am just going to go out on a limb here and say that he originally couldn't make it into iowa coming out of high school. Now that he will be a junior college graduate, maybe Iowa doesn't want him any more, thus he is coming here.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So am I right in assuming that he has two years left to play or does he have 3 to play 2?