Another Submission to the Big 12 Apology Binder?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
You may not like it alum2002 but contact is allowed within 5 yards as long as the ball isn't in the air.

Good to know. We should just coach all our TE's and WR's to truck their defenders right off the line then. Get them on the ground right away, just make sure you do it within 5 yards and before the ball is in the air. I'm sure they'd never throw a flag on us.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Good to know. We should just coach all our TE's and WR's to truck their defenders right off the line then. Get them on the ground right away, just make sure you do it within 5 yards and before the ball is in the air. I'm sure they'd never throw a flag on us.
The defender delivered contact as well. LB's are taught to check guys coming through their zone.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
That is not a screw job. The ref missed a call. It happens. We’ve benefited from bad calls too, you know. A screw job was that k-State game where the refs kept huddling after penalties and picking up the flags. THAT was a screw job. Or allowing that three at Phog after the missed front end of two free throws. This was a blown call. That’s just part of it. I hate when Cyclone fans overblow this **** because it minimizes the times when it really happens.

I would genuinely like to know when

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
That is not a screw job. The ref missed a call. It happens. We’ve benefited from bad calls too, you know. A screw job was that k-State game where the refs kept huddling after penalties and picking up the flags. THAT was a screw job. Or allowing that three at Phog after the missed front end of two free throws. This was a blown call. That’s just part of it. I hate when Cyclone fans overblow this **** because it minimizes the times when it really happens.
You’re entitled to your opinion. Mine differs. It’s not just blown calls that form the basis of my opinion. It’s the number of them. I feel like we get the worst of bad officiating far more often than we benefit. I’d love to see a study of this to confirm whether my feelings actually are the scientific truth.
When scientists detect something previously unseen, many times it is because specific measurable events occur more often than they should, based on pure probability. Bad calls going against ISU, specifically, feel a bit like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: isuno1fan

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You’re entitled to your opinion. Mine differs. It’s not just blown calls that form the basis of my opinion. It’s the number of them. I feel like we get the worst of bad officiating far more often than we benefit. I’d love to see a study of this to confirm whether my feelings actually are the scientific truth.
When scientists detect something previously unseen, many times it is because specific measurable events occur more often than they should, based on pure probability. Bad calls going against ISU, specifically, feel a bit like that.

THIS is a screw job...

https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-sus...g-washington-state-vs-cal-game-012348133.html

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In the end no one is going to apologize to ISU for something like this. Was it PI? Without a doubt. Would they have called it on ISU if things were reversed? Without a doubt. Would it have been on ESPN all week if ISU did mugged an OU guy in the endzone on a game winning 2 point conversion and didn't get called. Absolutely.

This is just another one of those things where ISU just has to be better than they were last week, cause nobody gives a darn if they get cheated.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

• Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;
  • Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;
  • Grabbing an opponent's arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;
  • Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball;
  • Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;
  • Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving; or
  • Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.
Big 12 won’t apologize for it, but add it to the list of screw jobs

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
In the end no one is going to apologize to ISU for something like this. Was it PI? Without a doubt. Would they have called it on ISU if things were reversed? Without a doubt. Would it have been on ESPN all week if ISU did mugged an OU guy in the endzone on a game winning 2 point conversion and didn't get called. Absolutely.

This is just another one of those things where ISU just has to be better than they were last week, cause nobody gives a darn if they get cheated.

I think we need to take off the "refs against ISU" glasses. We play better, we win. I linked a REAL ref screw job above from the PAC12 so maybe the conspiracy is only against teams with "state" in their names.

Refs are like the weather and the field conditions - you can't control them and by agonizing over 1 call over the hundred plays and hundreds of players involved in those plays you just let them beat you twice.

Perhaps we should have kicked a field goal when it was 4th and 13. Perhaps a few less penalties on our guys. Perhaps if we played for 4 full quarters.

Maybe we should have all plays of all games reviewed overseas so that nobody gets their feels hurt rather than blaming a human for missing a play or blowing a call.

Should refs do better at their jobs? Can't imagine a worse profession where perfection is demanded under bang-bang timing and with 22 large and fast men moving at many crazy angles.

• Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think we need to take off the "refs against ISU" glasses. We play better, we win. I linked a REAL ref screw job above from the PAC12 so maybe the conspiracy is only against teams with "state" in their names.

Refs are like the weather and the field conditions - you can't control them and by agonizing over 1 call over the hundred plays and hundreds of players involved in those plays you just let them beat you twice.

Perhaps we should have kicked a field goal when it was 4th and 13. Perhaps a few less penalties on our guys. Perhaps if we played for 4 full quarters.

Maybe we should have all plays of all games reviewed overseas so that nobody gets their feels hurt rather than blaming a human for missing a play or blowing a call.

Should refs do better at their jobs? Can't imagine a worse profession where perfection is demanded under bang-bang timing and with 22 large and fast men moving at many crazy angles.

Okay, sorry, it isn't like that was a questionable call or the ref was 30 yards away. The guy was hanging on him with both arms right in front of the ref, 5 yards away. It was total BS. Stop apologizing for officials that choose to not make calls in close games because it will affect the outcome. It isn't just ISU, but it almost always the team that is the underdog.

Sure, ISU could have made plays at 25 different times during the game, but they didn't. You can say the same thing about OU.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

• Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;
  • Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball;
  • Grabbing an opponent's arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass;
  • Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball;
  • Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball;
  • Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving; or
  • Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating separation.

So, what’s your point? He didn’t do ALL of this, so it wasn’t a PI.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
During the game I didn't think it was as bad of a no call but seeing the freeze frame of the defender with both arms around Pettway it is pretty terrible.

I agree. I watched in real time and thought it was 50/50 whether a flag would go out. Was it technically pass interference? Yes. Absolutely 100% it was. He still could have made the catch, though.

I DO think we get the short end of the stick more than most teams, but this game just isn't really a great example.

ISU played really poor defense in the first half, we have to play as if we have no FG kicker, and Manning still isn't (IMO of course) getting the full potential out of our players. Those are the real reasons we lost.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I agree. I watched in real time and thought it was 50/50 whether a flag would go out. Was it technically pass interference? Yes. Absolutely 100% it was. He still could have made the catch, though.

I DO think we get the short end of the stick more than most teams, but this game just isn't really a great example.

ISU played really poor defense in the first half, we have to play as if we have no FG kicker, and Manning still isn't (IMO of course) getting the full potential out of our players. Those are the real reasons we lost.
I'm not going to mention names but there is a certain safety who probably shouldn't start anymore. Been getting crushed all year. Coaching definitely needs to tighten up though.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The funny thing was I saw more complaining from the national media on this than I did from cyclone fans.

A) the national media (primarily ESPN) wants OU to lose

B) that call was not even in the top 10 of the ISU hall of fame terrible calls. Hard to get overly upset about someone throwing mud at you when you've been stabbed in the face 50 times before.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd be more okay with the "let them play" mantra if they hadn't thrown 85 flags on us earlier in the game. They certainly weren't "letting them play" earlier in the day.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
During the game I didn't think it was as bad of a no call but seeing the freeze frame of the defender with both arms around Pettway it is pretty terrible.

After seeing replays, it seems much worse. I wonder if the reason the ref didn't throw a flag was because he thought the contact was caused by Pettway slowing down a bit.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
After seeing replays, it seems much worse. I wonder if the reason the ref didn't throw a flag was because he thought the contact was caused by Pettway slowing down a bit.
Brock did throw it behind him just slightly, but that has nothing to do with the other guys responsibility to not impede his ability to play the ball. Should have been a flag, but I'm not a blame the refs guy. **** happens. Be nice if we could get some of those in our favor this year.