Another reason to not want a Big 12 TV network

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
Image_0.jpg

Courtney Sargent/The Gazette
College basketball fans watch on a big screen at Wehrenberg Cine in Cedar Rapids as Iowa plays Wednesday night at Ohio State.

Now this is big-screen basketball

CEDAR RAPIDS — It’s a movie theater at 6 p.m. on a Wednesday.
One of the big screens is filled with action. The only sounds in the room are coming from the sound system.

There are 65 or so patrons. Nearly all are adults, many of them older folks.

As many women are here as men. Everyone watches intently and quietly.
Until, that is, a performer named Tony Freeman wearing a basketball uniform with the name ‘‘Iowa’’ on it makes a 3-point shot. That trimmed Ohio State’s lead over the Hawkeyes to 4-3.

Then, applause breaks out from the crowd. There is no vocal cheering, no shouts or screams. Just enthusiastic clapping.

You’ll never be around a better-behaved gathering to view a sporting event. But, you go to an arena and you make noise. You go to a theater, you let the production come to you.

You can get a debate when you ask for the definition of a ‘‘real fan.’’ Real fans supposedly buy the tickets, make the trips, wear the colors.
Fair enough. But here’s another real fan: someone who leaves the comfort of home on a weeknight to spend two hours among strangers to view a telecast of a game because it couldn’t be viewed in the living room.
Those are people who truly love to watch their team.

The Big Ten Network has had paid (and unpaid) advertisements in this sports section over the last several months but has yet to prove itself to be fan-friendly. If it were, it would have negotiated some sort of agreement with major cable companies across the Big Ten’s eightstate area. Most Iowa men’s basketball games are carried by the BTN. That means those who subscribe to the service of Iowa’s leading cable television provider, Mediacom, must go elsewhere to watch the Hawkeyes.

The Wehrenberg Galaxy 16 Cine theater in northeast Cedar Rapids showed some Iowa football games on one of its big screens last fall, got a good response from the public, and thus has provided a place to watch Iowa basketball games for free, too.

‘‘Attendance varies,’’ said Jeremy Faust, an associate manager at the Galaxy 16.

‘‘We’ve had five people to 50. It’s something to bring more guests into the theater.’’

It isn’t purely philanthropic, since a lot of the basketball fans buy soda and popcorn. But if you want to see a game without warding off cigarette smoke, background noise and the occasional drunk, the theater is a nice alternative to a sports bar.

‘‘It’s very convenient, very comfortable,’’ said Quinten Hofer of Cedar Rapids, who has season tickets to Iowa men’s basketball games.
‘‘I prefer this over sitting on a bar stool somewhere. I can drop my wife off at a movie and watch a basketballgame.’’

Many couples were in attendance Wednesday.

‘‘This is our first time here,’’ said Jody Keleher of Marion. ‘‘Usually, we go to someone else’s house if it has to do with the Big Ten Network.
‘‘My husband’s pretty upset we can’t get it.’’

She said they were told by Mediacom that this issue will be resolved before next football season. For the Big Ten’s sake, it better be.
For every fan who sought a neighbor or bar with satellite television, there had to be many more who stayed home and did something else.
Justin Johnson made a 3- pointer in the second half to cut Ohio State’s lead to a still-whopping 56-24.

Those watching in the theater applauded as if the shot meant something. The final score was 79-48, yet nearly everyone stayed to the end. No one had the use of a remote control.

The patrons came to see one specific performance and see it to its conclusion.

As they left, grumbling about the Hawkeyes’ poor play seemed to be minimal and muted.

In the lobby afterward, a man asked a theater employee for tickets to the screening of Saturday night’s Michigan State-Iowa game. It will be on the Big Ten Network.

• Contact the writer: (319) 368-8840 or [email protected] Read Mike Hlas’ ‘‘The Hlog’’ at gazetteonline.com
There had to be many more who stayed home and did something else.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
2 things...

- It was a road game...not an issue.
- More people showed up at the theater than there has been at Carver all year. :wink:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Having a Big XII network will be fine - as long as they realize that being placed in a digital sports tier is perfectly fine...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If having a Big 12 network means I might have to leave my house in order to watch a game.....no thanks.

This confuses me. I leave my house all the time to watch games and that's how I prefer it - you know - going to Hilton.

If you're referring to the channel being on a premium tier, I can understand where you are coming from.

However, I'd venture to guess most ISU fans - especially those outside the local area - would jump a the chance to pay $5-10/month in order to be able to see all or almost all of the Cyclone games.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Dusty old Hawk fans. I would hate to watch a game where everyone was quiet, clapping politely. If I were watching a Cyclone game in a movie theater, I would be leaping out of my chair and yelling with the dizzying highs and terrifying lows, just as I do whenever I watched a game in person or watch games on TV. I realize that most of the people this article is talking about are old, but come on. At least be a fan.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I hope the cable companies keep the Big 10 off its free lineup thus forcing me to pay for something I am against. Let the greedy B10 wollow in obscurity for the next 10 years thus opening their former tv channels to the rest of us. Think about it, the B10 had for free every market for each team but that wasn't good enough. For the B10 out of sight = out of mind is good for those of us that do not consider ourselves the emporor of the kingdom.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I dunno, I get the big10 network on like 5 channels, so I am not exactly sure what the fuss is. If you don't get it and you want it, it only takes one phone call to get it.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I would love to have a Big XII network. While I hate the B10, I do occassionaly watch the Bigten network and constantly wish the Big XII has something similar. Living in MN, I could avoid spending the $100 on ESPN fullcourt for ISU bball games and could certainly watch more away football games.

It's easy for me to say I don't really care about the bigten network since my team isn't from the bigten & I get the bigten network on my dish anyway.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
This confuses me. I leave my house all the time to watch games and that's how I prefer it - you know - going to Hilton.

If you're referring to the channel being on a premium tier, I can understand where you are coming from.

However, I'd venture to guess most ISU fans - especially those outside the local area - would jump a the chance to pay $5-10/month in order to be able to see all or almost all of the Cyclone games.

Great point on the $5-$10. The sports package on Mediacom is only $3. I'm sure that sports fans would pony up that, and even a little more. They would surely have to raise the price, to include the Little 11 network. Even us Big 12 fans would probably spring for it. Keep in mind it's not only Mediacom that is holding out. Comcast is being held hostage, too. I think there are other cable systems that are the same size as Comcast that are holding out, too.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I dunno, I get the big10 network on like 5 channels, so I am not exactly sure what the fuss is. If you don't get it and you want it, it only takes one phone call to get it.

One thing I can't figure out about ordering DirectTV is this: how much of an initial investment does it take?

HD/DVR two tvs...and two more older tvs in the house as well.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The only sounds in the room are coming from the sound system.
There are 65 or so patrons. Nearly all are adults, many of them older folks.
Everyone watches intently and quietly.
There is no vocal cheering, no shouts or screams.

Had I not known this was in a movie theater, I would have normally assumed it was another article about a game at CHA. You can't really tell the difference just by the sentences above, can you?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
One thing I can't figure out about ordering DirectTV is this: how much of an initial investment does it take?

HD/DVR two tvs...and two more older tvs in the house as well.

Usually most of the stuff is free or at a pretty low cost. But yes the initial cost is more than that of cable, but the product quality is so much better also.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I assume the B12 network would be on a sports pack and would be avaialble through all providers with a fee. That would be pretty sweet.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would love to see a Big XII network develop, encourage being on a sports tier, and succeed just to stick it to the Big 10 Network and NFL Network. The Big XII would have more to offer then the Big 10 as they can fill the spring with some of the best baseball in the country.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I would love to see a Big XII network develop, encourage being on a sports tier, and succeed just to stick it to the Big 10 Network and NFL Network. The Big XII would have more to offer then the Big 10 as they can fill the spring with some of the best baseball in the country.

Now THAT would be worth watching. Nebraska, Oklahoma State, etc. battling for the Big 12 crown, and a spot in Omaha. Heck, they could even have regionals! I'd tune in, for sure.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Whatever the little 11 can do the big 12 can certainly do BETTER!!...

I vote for a big 12 network and put it on direct tv.. dish tv...:smile: mediacom digital channel....

Well you get the idea. The biggest mistake that the little 11 made was to think they could tell the cable industry how to run their business...BIG MISTAKE BOYS!!...And thats one mistake that the big 12 wont make....:smile:

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com
I'd like to see a B12N so I could hear people that not only were educated about the conference, but people that talk about the big 12 and don't mention OU or Texas in the first breath.

It would be great to have all the Big 12 FB games on TV. However inconsequential a Baylor vs. TTech game may be, I'd still watch that over Illinois vs Penn State anyday.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Now THAT would be worth watching. Nebraska, Oklahoma State, etc. battling for the Big 12 crown, and a spot in Omaha. Heck, they could even have regionals! I'd tune in, for sure.

The Big XII Tournament is INTENSE. Especially with teams like Missouri and Kansas no competing with the big boys. Just think of some of the guys that have come through the Big XII recently.

Joba Chamberlin
Adam Stern
Shane Komine
Dan Johnson
Ken Harvey
Alex Gordon
Ian Kinsler
Jon Nelson
Les Walrund
Jason Bartlett
Rocky Cherry
Greg Dobbs
Luke Scott
Josh Fields
Ryan Budde
Scott Baker
Brad Halsey
Omar Quintanilla
Huston Street
Josh Bard
Jason Tyner
Jason Jennings
Kip Wells
David Murphy
Kelly Shoppich

and those are just the relatively recent ones...