Another De-commit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Dont most football players love playing in the cold. Heck its cold in at the time of when they are inside. The Texas heat is going on when they are out in summer and fall camps.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Playing in the cold should not be an issue. All these guys think they can play in the NFL - have they ever heard of the Green Bay Packers, NE Patriots, Stellers, Bills etc...

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Citing cold weather is a cop-out. If a player wants to play college ball to possibly get a shot at the NFL, then consider this:

Of the current 32 NFL Teams, 16 of those are in the south or play in a dome.

If a player has the opportunity to get onto a good team, they are likely to play at least one cold weather game.

Suck it up. put on some warm clothing and get over it.

Last edited:

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Until we have something solid to offer young kids who want to play at a solid program, what is to keep them from changing their mind. I am just glad that we are going after some young men that can play somewhere else too. Bout' time if you ask me.:skeptical:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
look at the bright side guys-2 2 star de decommits in the last week should open the door for 3 star de eric harper and james moore.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I look at it this way, watching college football recruiting is like watching your favorite stock day in an day out. It is changing every hour of every day. You never know where it is going to land.

Just like the stock market, I am into supporting Cyclone athletics for the long haul (death). I am not going to get too excited or too low about one to seven recruits. It is the overall level of talent and returns that matter.

The reality is we are Iowa State and unless we sell our souls to the devil (see KSU), this is going to take some time to build a winning program. I for one want to do it the right way, honor, integrity and hard work. I believe Chizik will lead is in this direction.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Someone want to remind me who all has a written agreement to attend ISU this fall? That's right - no one. Wake me up on signing day...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Ne braska had 12 visitors this weekend and gained three commits out of the group including two brothers from Garland, TE. Suspect our conmnection to Garland will not be so hot in the future...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Here's why I really just don't care about the whole recruiting process:

...interest means absolutely nothing until a player verbally commits
...verbal commitment means absolutely nothing until a player signs an LOI
...LOIs mean nothing until a player arrives on campus
...arriving on campus means nothing until a player arrives in the practice and weight training facilities
...practice and weight training mean nothing until a player shows up on the field
...showing up on the field means nothing until a player is honored on Senior day.

This can basically be treated like a geometric theorem - verbal intent means absolutely nothing until a player is honored on Senior day. There is so much that can go wrong over 5 years that it's ridiculous. As we've learned over the last 3-4 months, verbal interest and verbal intent don't amount to anything. As we've learned over the last several years, just because someone signs an LOI doesn't mean they're going to show up on campus. As we learned with the 2002 (?) recruiting class (and Iowa's learned over the last several years), just because highly regarded recruits show up on campus and in practice doesn't mean they end up panning out. As we've learned with Berryman and Carper (? - the LB that blew out his knee), and Iowa learned this year with a bunch of their players, situations such as injury, criminal problems, and grades can prevent a player from actually making it on the field.

This is why I don't get my boxers in a bunch over recruiting (and why I don't subscribe to either Scout or Rivals) - You'll never truly be able to discuss Chizik's success/failure on this recruiting class until they've all worked their way through the system 4-5 years from now.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Here's why I really just don't care about the whole recruiting process:

...interest means absolutely nothing until a player verbally commits
...verbal commitment means absolutely nothing until a player signs an LOI
...LOIs mean nothing until a player arrives on campus
...arriving on campus means nothing until a player arrives in the practice and weight training facilities
...practice and weight training mean nothing until a player shows up on the field
...showing up on the field means nothing until a player is honored on Senior day.

I disagree that it means nothing until they're honored on senior day. I would say that it means something once they arrive on campus as part of our football team. Wether they're a scout team player, or a starting freshman, they're making an impact and they're Cyclones.

Since Phillip Bates hasn't been honored as a senior yet, his presence on the field at the Iowa game this year meant nothing? Because Arnaud hasn't played his last game, his work up to this point means nothing?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I disagree that it means nothing until they're honored on senior day. I would say that it means something once they arrive on campus as part of our football team. Wether they're a scout team player, or a starting freshman, they're making an impact and they're Cyclones.

Since Phillip Bates hasn't been honored as a senior yet, his presence on the field at the Iowa game this year meant nothing? Because Arnaud hasn't played his last game, his work up to this point means nothing?

Granted...

But answer this (God forbid any of this happening) - say Arnaud blows out his knee so bad early in the season this year that his playing career is over. On top of that, say Bates goes "Berryman" and runs amok with the law. Will their 3-star standing and signing with us have meant anything to this football program 3-4 years from now?

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Granted...

But answer this (God forbid any of this happening) - say Arnaud blows out his knee so bad early in the season this year that his playing career is over. On top of that, say Bates goes "Berryman" and runs amok with the law. Will their 3-star standing and signing with us have meant anything to this football program 3-4 years from now?

I think so. I think without Berryman, we never play in the Houston Bowl. I think without Bates, we don't win that game vs. Iowa. I think without Arnaud pushing him, Meyer never gets to the point he's at as a player. There are a lot of players that may not graduate, or may never see the field in their 4 or 5 years that are still important to the program, and still work every day for the cardinal and gold

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
I think so. I think without Berryman, we never play in the Houston Bowl. I think without Bates, we don't win that game vs. Iowa. I think without Arnaud pushing him, Meyer never gets to the point he's at as a player. There are a lot of players that may not graduate, or may never see the field in their 4 or 5 years that are still important to the program, and still work every day for the cardinal and gold

Prone to interceptions, poor throws, and bad decisions? :cute: jk..

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think without Arnaud pushing him, Meyer never gets to the point he's at as a player.

Not to completely derail this, but what point did Meyer get to, having Arnaud push him for one year? Yes, I know Arnaud was on the team last fall - but it was an obvious fact Arnaud was never threatening Meyer for his job in '06.

I like Meyer a lot - but I didn't see his mild improvements this past fall being as a result of one year of getting "pushed" - but instead a lot better coaching from the QB and OC coaching positions.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
didn't clones33 say that when this kid verballed that his parents had lots of money? maybe the kid's been spoiled his whole life and is a little soft as a result of it. would make sense since he can't see himself playing in iowa where it is to cold. if what 33 says about the reasons he doesn't want to come here are true, then i am actually very glad to be rid of him. this kid could have been a cancer that affected the entire morale and attitude of the team. we will be better off without him.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I am just glad that we are going after some young men that can play somewhere else too. Bout' time if you ask me.:skeptical:

Brings up a good point... I have never followed recruiting news but I'm curious.... could the number of decomits this season be tied to a high level of talent being recruited in the first place?

Not to mention Chizik is pushing his hand pretty hard with the "Once you verbal you are commited to us or you are gone" tactic.

If we're losing more this year, is it because we have more to lose?

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Not to completely derail this, but what point did Meyer get to, having Arnaud push him for one year? Yes, I know Arnaud was on the team last fall - but it was an obvious fact Arnaud was never threatening Meyer for his job in '06.

I like Meyer a lot - but I didn't see his mild improvements this past fall being as a result of one year of getting "pushed" - but instead a lot better coaching from the QB and OC coaching positions.

I guess my point was that competition is important. Meyer was a bad example.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I look at it this way, watching college football recruiting is like watching your favorite stock day in an day out. It is changing every hour of every day. You never know where it is going to land.

Boy, aint that the truth. I feel for what you guys are going through.